Why Are Some Superstitions Okay?

by Swan 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

gosh I was such an ignorant JW!

I shopped at thrift stores and even told the sisters I did!

I had wind chimes hanging outside on my patio.

My kids played with smurfs and watched the cartoon too.

They also ate Lucky Charms cereal.

I always knocked on wood, my Mom taught me that and she's still doing it, probably secretly in dubbie land.

I read and believed my horoscope!

I played with a Ouija board at times secretly.......I loved it!

Wished upon a shooting star lots of times we saw lots of those in the desert sky.

Believed in the tooth fairy and had my kids put their teeth under their pillows.....I loved being a fairy!

Most always said "bless you" when someone sneezed.

Wished people good luck if they weren't JW's and said good fortune to the JW's! LOL

Gosh I could probably think of many others, I was just not aware or cared what others thought, I figured it was my life I would do what I want. Many times I slipped up and would do or say something in front of a JW and get the look, he,hee........my bad I was such a rebel! I'm sure none of the JW's who were around me are too surprised I'm out!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Swan this entire thread and all the responses i have me in fits of giggles!

My parents obviously decided to subscribe to the charity/thirft shop thingy because we were so hard up all our clothes were second hand. they had their own personal take - which was that anything they personaly didnt agree with was demonised - this included watching Knightrider - cos that car had to be demonised right cos it spoke to david hasslehoff. I'm not sure how they deal with the new in-car mapping systems now!

They had a bible study who was into black sabbath - i remember the bonfire they had the night she decided to brun all those albums!

When I left and was listening to Ozzy OSborne when I was 16 I was terrified when i realised he was from black sabbath. When I was getting reinstated they were first to go! LOL! followed by Guns and Roses. Interestingly though GnR was the album I reacquired each time i got disfellowshipped and then subsequently destroyed each time I got reinstated. LOL!

Has anyne else been through that ridiculous "purging" process?

if I had a penny for every album/book/movie i had to destroy....

• Swan
    Swan

They also ate Lucky Charms cereal.

OMG Bikerchic! You fed your kids Lucky Charms! How Satanic! LOL!

My Mom would never let us have them. I tried some once I left the JWs, but I think I was too old to truly appreciate them by then.

You must have lived in a fairly liberal area. I know I said something once in front of one of my teenage friends about being "fortunate" once and she about tore me up one side and down the other about how we shouldn't say that word. Jeesh!

Tammy

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You know, I used to wonder how Jehovah could let something as innocent as second hand clothing bring harm to one of his precious servants. I didn't understand why the all powerful-head-honcho-of-the-universe- god didn't protect innocents from demonized garage sale items. It seemed like a silly belief to me, but when put under pressure, I would cave in and get rid of things. I don't even want to tell you to what extent, it's embarrassing and it angers me.(((( ))))

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

opps...I mean Ides of March...I say Eyes(inside joke) nevermind! Sorry!

Brooke

• marcosgarcia
    marcosgarcia

SWAN; Is Pokemon on the list of forbidden cartoon/toys for children?

• Swan
    Swan

marcosgarcia asked:

SWAN; Is Pokemon on the list of forbidden cartoon/toys for children?

Gee, I have no idea. I was already out of the JWs for several years when Pokemon came along. Tammy

• tata
    tata

I know this is serious, but I did not be able resist laughing about this:

We were told the times of miracles were over after the apostles passed away, yet JWs could become totally invisible to Nazis even though they were standing in plain sight in the middle of a room.

LOL

• TheEdge
    TheEdge
    Is Pokemon on the list of forbidden cartoon/toys for children?

.....keep up, lol, it's still Yu-Gi-Ho here....

can't see why kids aren't allowed a childhood......very sad, I mean SMURFS - these people need ECT.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge
    these people need ECT.

Sorry - was thinking aloud...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit