Has being a JW...

by the_classicist 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

"Happified", "Sticktoitiveness", and "Jesus" (I still get a gut reflex to turn off any song where I hear that word.)

• curlygirl
    curlygirl

How about the demonic connotation the having an "open mind" has? I told my mother in law recently that I thought of myself as being open minded and I thought the poor woman was going to have a stroke!!! If witnesses carried holy water, I would have been covered in it. She was completely freaked out!

Curlygirl

• clementine
    clementine

"truth" is just one world i can't stand!!!!!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Like clementine said...the only term that still causes me involuntary neck spasms and rotational eyeball movement is "the truth."

btw: clem...hello, and welcome to JWD.

Craig

• MonkeyPrincess
    MonkeyPrincess

Yes, i cant say "Truth" anymore without it bringing up bad feelings, i replaced it with honest.

On the news when i hear something to the effect of "Peace and Security" it makes
    my skin crawl and still brings up memories of Armageddon.

I know there are more, but i think those are the top one's for me.

MonkeyPrincess

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    Has being a JW ruined certain words for you?

Yes indeed:

• Jesus
    • Bible
    • Lord
    • church
    • holy spirit
    • saint
    • grace
    • salvation
    • Christ

Oddly enough, it is the study of magic that is helping me to reclaim them.

gently f eral

• clementine
    clementine

hello craig and thanks for your welcome!! the expression i can't stand with truth is "to grow up in truth" (well actually i don't if you really say that but this is quite a good translation for the french expression ;-)), i think it's even worth then "truth" alone, that's just getting on my nerves everytime i listen to it!!!

• Ticker
    Ticker

I would agree with you all too, I was thinking the other day how we will probably all carry some watchtower baggage around, not necessarily believing it, but still carrying the mental impression of what that buzzword used to carry. Definatly some words are ruined for me too but worse off I think is the link they claimed with God. Jehovah and the watchtower are virtually indistinguishable, and to me that is wrong. Its sad to think how they have fused their human organization with one of the many names of the creator so that it is too murky for the indoctrinated ones to be able to see the difference.

Ticker

• Shania
    Shania

The word PIONEER, it can be the name of a furniture store or auto body shop or a dry cleaners it gives me the creeps and I refuse to do any busisness with them for fear I might be supporting the pioneer that might work in there......crazy huh?...............also TIME-----did you get your TIME in for the month---now I just think of time on my watch...............the way it was meant to be.

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.

'Gathering'.

Now I see it for what it really is. Normal people don't have 'gatherings' !! Can't believe I didn't pick up on it sooner.

taylorS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit