If This Isn't A Cult----What Is It????

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

I should have added they were proud to be labeled a "cult" because it meant they were viewed as separate from from "the world" *.... .· ´¨¨)) -:¦:- *¸.·´ .·´¨¨)) ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ H-:¦:- -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´

• lilybird
    lilybird

Women are below men, they can't hold positions in the congregation, they can't give talks addressing the congregation, She must acknowledge her husband as the head of the house. Even to lead prayer in a group, she must cover her head.

The only grounds for divorce is adultry, It doesn't matter if he beats you up or verballly abuses you .If you remarry, you are punished by being outcast and shunned, until they feel you are worthy to be accepted again.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

WHAT CAN BE MORE CONTROLING AND REVEALING ABOUT THE WBTS AND THEIR BEING DEFINED AS A CULT, THAN THE WATCHTOWER STUDY ONCE A WEEK.

THE "STUDY" CONSISTS OF READING A PARAGRAPH, SUPPLIED BY THE WBTS AND THE QUESTION, SUPPLIED BY THE WBTS AND THEN GIVE THE ANSWER BY READING THE ANSWER, SUPPLIED BY THE WBTS.

HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU FOUND THE ANSWER TO BE CONDEMNING MEMBERS, FOR NOT DOING ENOUGH AND FELT GUILTY ABOUT YOUR LACK OF DOING ENOUGH?

THEN TO PLEASE OTHERS OR TO FILL THE NEED TO PARTICIPATE, YOU READ THE ANSWER AND LISTEN TO YOUR SELF CONDEMN YOUR SELF AND ALL OTHERS THAT DON'T REACH THE SUGGESTED LEVEL OF PARTICIPATION.

I STILL KICK MYSELF FOR BEING SO FOOLISH.

Outoftheorg

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

There is a book I read about Cults....it was called.... Them and Us!

It had nothing to do with the JW religion just cult basics and how they work. JW was written all over it by the things they said in that book. It made me believe there is something really wrong before I heard all the lies.

I still want to read the Ray Franz books...they are on my list of things to read.

Brooke

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Just to prove the point to any doubters, I provide the following quote, which i assure is fully in context to the spirit of the article..

w95 10/1 p. 9 Does God Come First in Your Family? ***

As Creator and Life-Giver, Jehovah deserves complete devotion from all his servants. (Revelation 4:11) "I bend my knees to the Father," the apostle Paul wrote, "to whom every family in heaven and on earth owes its name." (Ephesians 3:14, 15) Jehovah created the family arrangement in such a marvelous way that family members have natural affection for one another. (1 Kings 3:25, 26; 1 Thessalonians 2:7) Satan the Devil, however, cunningly exploits this natural family affection, which includes a desire to please loved ones. He fans the flames of family opposition, and many find it a challenge to stand firm for Bible truth in the face of it.?Revelation 12:9, 12.

Facing

Up to the Challenge

What will you do if you are forced to make a choice between pleasing God or pleasing a family member? Will you rationalize that God does not expect us to study his Word and apply its principles if doing so creates family dissension? But think about it. If you give in and cease your Bible study or association with Jehovah?s Witnesses, how will loved ones ever understand that accurate knowledge of the Bible is a life-and-death matter??John 17:3; 2 Thessalonians 1:6-8.

We might illustrate the situation this way: Perhaps a family member has an excessive craving for alcohol. Would ignoring or condoning his drinking problem be of real benefit to him? Would it be better to keep the peace by giving in and not doing anything about his problem? No, you probably agree that it would be best to try to help him overcome his drinking problem, even if it means standing up to his wrath and threats. (Proverbs 29:25) Similarly, if you truly love your family members, you will not give in to their efforts to stop you from studying the Bible. (Acts 5:29) Only by taking a firm stand may you help them appreciate that living by Christ?s teachings means our very life.

• minimus
    minimus

I'm a good Jehovah's Witness and that's why I "hate" my Satanic family.....That's what they're really saying.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

"A cult is a religion with no political power.",Tom Wolfe

steve.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Wow, that paragraph 7 is about the stupidest, load of crap I've ever read? The example has no application to taking a firm stand for studying the bible.

What a buncha Tluc Crap.

• M.J.
    M.J.

I can't stand how they always FRAME things in terms of "studying the Bible" and not "studying the Bible". Anyone who reveres the Bible (WTS target audience) will obviously consider the former to be GOOD and the latter to be BAD. Of course, the REAL two options here are: Becoming indoctrinated by the WTS vs. not becoming indoctrinated by the WTS. Not quite the same.

• trevor
    trevor

Mind Control

When one is a member of a group such as Jehovah?s Witnesses, it is not possible to be aware of the degree to which personal freedoms that are normally taken for granted are lost. The mind-control techniques used by the Watchtower Society are by no means unique. Part of the process includes creating an atmosphere of isolation from society and a policy of non-involvement in the running of many of the institutions that are a part of normal society. Many books have been written about cults and the way that those belonging to them are controlled and manipulated. Of course those under such control are always offended at the notion that they are involved with a cult.

Steve Hassan, an ex-Moonie has written a number of books exposing the cult mind- control methods. He has devised a set of guidelines that any religion can be measured against to decide whether or not a particular sect can be deemed a cult.

He divides the process of mind control into four basic categories. (1) Behaviour Control (2) Information Control (3) Thought Control (4) Emotional Control. Some of the methods used are briefly summarised below.

(1) Behaviour Control

includes, among many things, dictating to the members how they dress and groom themselves. How much time is spent on recreation and how much time is committed to receiving indoctrination. They are expected to ask permission before making major decisions. Information is distorted to make it acceptable to them and rigid rules are laid down. Individualism is discouraged and obedience is demanded.

(2) Information Control

includes discouraging the reading of non-cult literature and information that is critical towards the group. Keeping members too busy to have time to think clearly about what they are doing and insisting they have nothing to do with ex-members. Past sins are used to pressure and control members. The leaders decide how much information the group needs and expect members to report other?s misdemeanours.

(3) Thought Control

includes the group accepting the stated beliefs as ?truth.? They are trained to see themselves in a good-versus-evil situation where every issue is simply black or white. Key words are adopted and used as ?buzz words.? No criticism of the leaders or their doctrine is permitted and all alternative religious groups are seen as bad.

(4) Emotional Control

includes using any guilt they may feel about their thoughts, feelings, family or their past. Any problems individuals may be experiencing are to be seen as the fault of the one who has the problems. Fear is built up in the minds of the members by warning them of the dangers of the ?outside? world and the enemies that surround them. Fear of losing the approval of the other members is a key factor in pressuring the members to continue. The members are indoctrinated to fear questioning the leaders or being made to leave the group as they are told they will have no future if they are outside the safety of the group. There is no legitimate reason for leaving and those that do must be shunned. Without the protection of the group they could be exposed to possession by demons.

As you can see from the length of the last paragraph, fear is a prominent factor in keeping members of cults in line. As stated, these guidelines were not written with Jehovah?s Witnesses specifically in mind. These guidelines can be applied to any sect to determine whether or not that sect or religion is a cult.

For free download of the book this is taken from click on my name/profile

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit