Why Do You or Don't You Believe In The Bible?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I don't believe in it being the Word of God for many reasons. Even before coming upon higher criticism, alot of it was just plainly mythical to me. Now taking the more enlightened road of being able to learn valuable insights from the myths (as metaphors) is fine and dandy. But what was actually included was just a selection from a diversity of ideas, and it looks the selections made were for more than just spiritual considerations. The works themselves were reworked. There are inconsistencies, contradictions and at least one third of it (being nice) has a dreadful portrayal of god that makes me not want to know, much less worship "him".

Even with all that, there are parts of the Bible that resonate deeply with the smidgen of spirituality in me. Some people are enlightened and have beautiful ideas. I enjoy reading them along with other sources.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Don't you know? The Bible is a unique book. Unlike the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Hindus, Native Americans, and Norse tribes, it just so happens that every piece of folklore the Ancient Hebrews and Isrealites had was 100% factual. And even though all of these other groups claimed to be God's chosen people, it really was the Jews.

Don't you know? Secular History agrees with the Bible. King Belshazzar of Babylon was once thought to be a myth invented by Bible writers, until archaeologists proved he lived. That proves every last detail from the Bible is correct, although the discovery of Troy doesn't prove everything from Greek mythology is true.

Don't you know? Scientists found a woolly mammoth in Siberia that died with food in its mouth. That proves the story of the Flood, even if there's not a shred of geological evidence anywhere else in the world and the woolly mammoth story doesn't even make sense.

Don't you know? I think the Bible is a joke!

• DHL
    DHL

IMO the bible no doubt contains a lot of interesting storys, some funny and some sad. As it is written by humans it also contains words of wisdom that every human can come up with if he takes a deep look inside himself. There is absolutely no proof it is written or inspired by anybody else than just humans. Therefore I consider it a guidebook like many other books I've read over the years that contain helpful advice but I would never use it as law I have to observe. No way!

Min,

I like such threads! You provoke and make people think by asking simple questions that contain explosives (as all the answers unveil). You're quite gifted in this.

• minimus
    minimus

Thanks DHL. These ???? are in my brain.

• holly
    holly

i do believe in the Bible, all of it, but i believe interpreting it isnt easy.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

For me it's more about "I dont' want to think about it anymore"

Whatever happens will happen.

If it really is God's word he plays some role in making is so easy to abuse and twist.

HE's a bright guy he should realize that.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I believe the Bible.

I also believe the New World Translation is not the Bible.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

When someone takes the time to trace just how "THE BIBLE" came into existence, they will find that it is not inspired of God, and if not, they are taking a leap of faith that God used man to record his thoughts.

The question is not, "Do you believe, or not believe in the Book itself, which is in existence, but, whether you believe it came directly from God.

My conclusion, after much research and putting this very question to Ray Franz, his answer was, it really comes down to a leap of faith as to it's being inspired of God.

But his answer did not cause me to think otherwise. I came to my own conclusion, after reading the history of how "THE BIBLE' actually was handed down to Christianity.

This Book has no bearing on one's future life in the afterlife if there is such an afterlife to come.

There are many books that help and teach that LOVE of one's neighbor is key to God if he exist, and if not, you still can't go wrong by expressing this quality of love to others.

Blueblades

• poppers
    poppers

Hey zen, "the real name of the bible is TO SERVE MAN

and its a cook book (^_^)" Been watching reruns of The Twilight Zone? That was one of my favorite episodes.

JT - your 2 cents is worth $1,000

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

I still believe in the Bible....

The Bible is NOT the NWT.

I also believe that ORIGINALLY, the bible was the inspired word of God. But I think the problems in the Bible come from the fact that men and man made organizations have translated and interpreted it so many times over the years that some of the original content and meaning has been lost. Each time it was interpreted more stories were incorporated from other beliefs and cultures so the divine message got more and more entagled with fiction.

Personally, I use the Bible as a guidebook if you will for developing my values, and guiding my faith.

RGW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit