Elders stepping out of bounds

by homme perdu 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I agree w/ Franklin J.

Dragonlady76

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

The elders stopped my mom from entering NA becuase they were concerned about bad association. Luckily, Canada has a rather generous low income medical plan and so she was able to get a private drug counselor.

Later when she kicked the perscription drug habit they came down on her again for dating a non JW. They were especially alarmed when the elder living down the road saw an unidentified car parked in her driveway overnight. She eventually faded, married the man (My stepdad is a GREAT guy too) and has never had any problems with depression or drugs since.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Stepping out of boundaries? Well, yes, in the sense of normal, healthy interpersonal boundaries. But not in the sense of the WTS-defined role of the Elders. The Elders are supposed to boss you around about every little thing you do in your personal life. That's their job, as assigned by the WTS.

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

This is disgusting. Whats sad is the people who 'obey' the elders.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

But, of course, there are a few elders who do trylu try to shepherd without being nosy. The type that call when they miss you, but don't ask why you weren't there. Offer to help without being condescending. etc. I've known a few elders like taht. But only a few.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow
    The sad truth is that people let themselves be taken advantage of....I do not mean to be callous but this is how this sort of issue is viewed from those on the "outside".

Why can't these poor souls stand up to the damned elders doing the manipulation and SAY NO! /THIS IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS__GET OUT!

If I can do it; so can others.

Right. That's probably why they are still legally allowed to go around bullying people. The government doesn't think that psychological abuses are worth doing anything about and elders or any religious leaders can do whatever they want, short of physical or sexual violence.

Good for anyone who has the balls to stand up to those pathetic loser elders.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Years ago, I had a rebellious 18 year old daughter. An elder suggested that for the good of my younger daughters I put the 18-year-old out. The result is one of my younger daughters attempted suicide as she reasoned that she would be next. This was the turning point in my blindly following advice received from anyone. If you take bad advice you suffer, not the advice giver .

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

Oh yes... The elders came to my door multiple times wanting to know "do you have a worldly boyfriend?", "are you celebrating holidays", etc. My ex kept letting them know everytime he heard anything about my personal life. I told them my personal matters were not of their concern and it was my right to choose not to be active in their religion. I also told them eventually that they really needed to stop coming to my house as I was not interested in discussing my personal life with them. If my ex had questions for me he could approach me like an adult and if I felt it was any of his business I would talk to him about it. I let them know they and my ex-husband needed to respect my right to privacy.

Don't you just love how they think it's ok to just "stop by" at your residence anytime they choose? Just trying to see whether or not you are doing something they might be able to disfellowship you for - LOL! When I moved (a few months later) I let my dear ex-husband know that my personal address was not for him to share with others and if he chose to do so I would personally make sure he was prosecuted for breaking the law.

• Honesty
    Honesty

About 2 months before I called Crooklyn Bethel for answers about the UN/WTBTS affiliation one of the elders called and said he and another elder had stopped by but I was not home. I was glad they had taken the time to come by until he asked me if I had anyone other than me living in my home. I sald I did not. He then told me some congregation members had seen me at a local fast food restuarant with a woman who was not my exwife and he wanted to know who she was. I told him she is one of my health providers which was not entirely correct of me but probably better than saying who she really is..... my professional cult deprogrammer. Yep, that's right folks. I was so screwed up from my involvement as one of the WTBTS volunteer book placers that I had to be deprogrammed by an anti-cult mental therapist. That's the problem with groups such as the Jehovah's Witnesses. Health insurance companies are taking big hits because they have to provide the resources to help people rid their mental problems incurred by involvement with these organisations that claim to be the voice of God but in reality just take advantage of people, governments and health care providers.

• steve2
    steve2

I think their bullying ways are despicable. On the other hand, demanding that a young person be kicked out of the house could be reframed positively:

The organization cares so much about that young man and they know how unhappy he would be as a witness. So, they are giving him a wonderful opportunity to break free and make his own way in life.

Is age eighteen old enough to leave or be booted out of home? Yes. I would argue that age 18 is far too young to make a decision to commit to the Watchtower Society. I hope the young man makes the most of his imposed freedom. What an opportunity to develop the ability to look after oneself. Thank you Watchtower for protecting this young man from your mean-spirited environment!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit