The cross............ Why the denial of what it represents???

by coz 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**JW's are big into being different, they use the differences to show that they are 'separate from the world'

Welcome to the board!

"Into being different" is a good way to put it! The WTS turns itself inside out and rightside to in order to "prove" that they "have the truth" (which they most certainly do not)

They teach the JWs to "examine" ALL the common beliefs shared by Christians worldwide under their microscope. To "examine" these teachings, the WTS has taken great pains to find ANY scripture that can POSSIBLY mean something else---and FLY with it as "truth".

Christmas and Easter---They don't honor or celebrate Jesus birth, viewing it as distasteful and displeasing to God. JWs don't even bat an eyelash on the day of Jesus' resurrection, despite this being the event that ultimately proved that he died as a sacrifice for all mankind and demonstrated his victory over death. (Verrrrrry minor point in WTS beliefs)

Ever heard of communion? The JWs don't "use" that term either, they call it the Memorial of Christ's Death. Even though Jesus said to "do this is in remembrance of me", ONLY a select few actually take an active part in doing this.....the rest of about six million JWs simply sit there and pass the bread and wine to one another knowing they are not worthy of Jesus' sacrifice.

The "cross vs a stake" is just one more area where the WTS knocks itself out to put another kink in common Christian beliefs. Because the cross being THE internationally recognized symbol of Christianity, once again the WTS sees the need to tear the meaning of it down to fit THEIR complicated set of beliefs, and attack the cross as a "murder weapon", JWs won't wear them or have them in their homes. (JWs call it the TORTURE STAKE".............. *much* nicer, don't you feel?)

I know this is rather lengthy, and I'm sorry, but this, too, is a sore point with me. What every other Christian takes seriously and holds dear to them.....the WTS tears it down as disgusting and Pagan.

One more thought on this; is that the longer I'm out and away from 30 years of these beliefs, the more I am convinced that there IS a good reason why the WTS stays so far away from the real Christ. (This is only the beginning of their twisted teachings and why I think what I do).

The WTS has come between the JWs and God, and the TRUE mediator in Jesus, has been wiped out as much as they could get away with doing so. They don't baptize the way that Jesus said to, they don't celebrate his birth or resurrection (ONLY HIS DEATH!), they don't believe in Jesus teachings about caring for others (feeding, clothing, etc) in fact the WTS doesn't "believe" in giving to any charities but sending donations ONLY to the WTS.

At the time of Jesus ministry, the Pharisees had saddled the believers with all sorts of rules and regs, making it impossible to "please God" at the time. Jesus presented his teachings as a "lighter yoke" to take up which would BE pleasing to God.

Anyone "studying" the bible with JWs will see that ALL the restrictions, rules to follow, and meetings, WT studies, bookstudies, personal study,service (door 2 door), and various assemblies that they are EXPECTED to attend-----will prove that the yoke is anything BUT light! It's exhausting!

I firmly believe that the WTS has climbed up into Jesus' seat and taken on his position. He only gets occasional lip service just to toss him in there once in a while, but to say they are followers of Jesus would be ludicrous. By their very actions they have shown how much they are in opposition to him, and I am SURE he is NOT pleased!

I hope this gives you a little insight into the WTS beliefs.

Annie

• Will Power
    Will Power

ithink: thank you for posting that link. I had not seen those misleading quotes from the reasoning book before. The misquote and mislead so often that as soon as I see one I try to look it up from now on. - Even their bible quotes can't be trusted. inserting " " marks mid sentence where 5 or 6 of the words come from bible, and the rest of the sentence is made up. LOL very scholarlly.

The "cross vs a stake" is just one more area where the WTS knocks itself out to put another kink in common Christian beliefs. Because the cross being THE internationally recognized symbol of Christianity, once again the WTS sees the need to tear the meaning of it down to fit THEIR complicated set of beliefs, and attack the cross as a "murder weapon", JWs won't wear them or have them in their homes.

I think there is another motive at work here as well. A JW can recognize the potential danger to their cult armor anywhere, anytime, whenever they see the sign of the cross.

will

• HEAVENS DESTINY
    HEAVENS DESTINY

Also being that it is a symbol of christ death regardless if it was on a stake or cross, JW's consider it an idol and thats a major no-no. JW's arent suppose to pray to or kneel in front of any idol ie:cross, saints, candles ect. Their only to pray to Jehovah thru his son Jesus Christ.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well if you think about it the society as set itself up to be an idol to worship instead of Christ Jesus, so they dont need a cross as a symbol. The cross would detract from the importantance of the governing body and the society as a whole and it therefore not needed nor wanted by the society.

Josie

• jgnat
    jgnat

They claim pagan origins. This doctrine was peddled by Rutherford as a way to convince churchgoers that their own congregations were hopelessly corrupt. JW's used to spend their Sundays outside the churches handing out pamphlets inviting them to a Kingdom Hall to hear a Public Talk. So, the term Public Talk is a holdover from those early, heady, confrontational days.

Leolaia of this board has done a wonderful paper outlining the flaws in WT thinking. It turns out that Christ was most likely crucified on cross-shaped beams.

The image below is NOT of Christ but Baccus.

• coz
    coz

HHHhmmm. Thnx very interesting............

There are many styles of crosses but after all it is just a symbol. correct???

If I am a Detroit Lions fan or a fan of the Bengals would anyone say they are not lions or tigers because there mascots do not look exactly like a lion or tiger.............. After-all there purpose and use is symbolic not literal..........

I recall reading in the old testiment, although I can not recall were, that Moses used some thing on a poll and when the people got stung or biten by bees or snakes that they could look at this symbol and be healed......................... Or something like that.......... So if God was so anti-symbol (and this was an image) why did they have this and it worked???

• Room 215
    Room 215

Nay-saying is one of the very few things they excel at.

• jgnat
    jgnat

That pole with a snake on it turned out to be a "stumbling block" for the Isrealites. God ended up destroying it. There was also the rule about "no graven images." I am afraid using the pole with the snake as an argument is a weak one.

And the Lord said to Moses, Make an image of a snake and put it on a rod, and anyone who has been wounded by the snakes, looking on it will be made well. So Moses made a snake of brass and put it on a rod; and anyone who had a snakebite, after looking on the snake of brass, was made well.

(Num 21:8-9 BBE)

He had the high places taken away, and the stone pillars broken to bits, and the Asherah cut down; and the brass snake which Moses had made was crushed to powder at his order, because in those days the children of Israel had offerings burned before it, and he gave it the name Nehushtan.

(2Ki 18:4 BBE)

I prefer to talk about the decorations of the temple, and the horns on the altar. Horns are a well-documented pagan decoration. God didn't seem to have any trouble ordering them for His own temple.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

jgnat....More specifically, the inscription is of "Orpheos Bakkikos", that is, of the cult of Orpheus Bacchus, which represents a syncretism between the Osiris/Dionysius and Orphic mystery religions....with some very interesting parallels with Christianity, of course.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks, Leoaia, local cross expert! I found that image on a Christianity debunking site. I don't find parallel symbology in other religions to be disturbing to my own faith. My reasoning goes something like this:

1. I cannot deny the power of God (since I believe He rescued me from a life of despair).
    2. Since God owns it all (the whole earth), it is reasonable that his attributes can be found in all cultures and religions.
    3. To find parallel pagan religions with similar beliefs does not debunk Christianity, only confirms that these beliefs have power for all people.

Perhaps this line of reasoning would not stand up to a thorough pounding, but that is where I stand today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit