District Assembly, Elland Road, Leeds about 15 years ago

by New Worldly Translation 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Latte
    Latte

Ross,

Now your taking me back! Yes, it was the 'Youth book' i recieved. I've lost track of the years! LOL

• glitter
    glitter

I told me mum the applause story - and she said I wasn't in the kids section because they asked kids 10 and over to be in that section - so that's why I don't remember it. Me being under 10 puts it before June 1991. I think 1990 would be about right.

I think I was only at a Hillsborough convention (in 1985 or 1986) one year before it started being at Leeds, I remember sitting on blankets on the terraces... *shudder*.

I loved it being at Don Valley in Sheffield - nice clean new stadium and could get the bus home in about 15 minutes! We used to pop back to let the dog out at lunchtime!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

wb Latte - I haven't seen ya around for AGES!!!
    Regards to ISP.
    I've mislaid your phone number, hence the radio silence.

• Jodo
    Jodo

LOL - this takes me back....I am the same age as you (minus 2 months) and I was sitting in that stand too with my older sister and her mate.....boy was that day a LAUGH...I'd totally forgotten about it. I'll bet the kids haven't been asked to sit together since our excellent behaviour.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lmao!!!

*** Thinking evil thoughts about buying an empty brief case for my next visit to an assembly ***

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

This reminds me of a story my mum told me about one of the Scottish conventions about 3-4 years ago. it was held in St. Johnstone Football Club's ground McDermid Park.

Apparently three elderly sisters wandered down trackside and spent the assembly in the dugout, eating their sarnies and having that old assembly speciality - tea in a flask.

FF

• observador
    observador

NWT,

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Hurray! Finally i have found someone from the same congregation as me! I was in Eastwood until I was 5, 1980 - when we moved to Melton to serve where the need was great! hey Littletoe - maybe we know some of the same people!

Anyway I was at Notts Forest (I think) when the book got released and I do remember it well - I was sat with a particularly worldly crowd who spent the session shocking me to bits with lewd descriptions of oral sex. What a crazy idea to sit us all together - but how much fun it was. We did the whole mass hysteria applauding thing too NWT. That was one of the best assemblies ever!

Another memory just cropped up - our family nearly always did volunteering in one way or another so we would go to another assembly a week or so afterwards so we could ingest the spiritual food and sometimes Dad would take us to another just for the hell of it. We'd be in Manchester (long before it was done up) one week, Notts Forest another, Twickenham another...looking back I think he was an assembly junkie!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Did I say recently how much I love JWD???
    I've just spent the last hour chatting with Crumpet - we know each other and our respective families!

I'm not going to say much more, on a public forum, as you know that I keep a good deal of my life private. I can say that I'm chuffed to bits, though.

I haven't felt this happy since I reunited with my Bestman Bull01Lay!
    Happy day!!!

• Hancock
    Hancock

It was definitely 1989. Not sure whether it was Leeds or Sheffield as I wasn't there. My wife was and she laughs about it this day.

Hancock- Youth book vintage

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit