District Assembly, Elland Road, Leeds about 15 years ago

by New Worldly Translation 21 Replies latest jw friends

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

This memory just came to me and I wondered of anyone else remembered it. It was at the District Assembly where the Questions Young People Ask book was launched. All the young ones had to move and sit together in one stand of the football stadium. Some of us thought it would be funny to applaud after every sentence that the speaker gave. Then every kid in the stand joined in so even when the speaker drew breath there would be rapturous applause. I don't think he or anyone else could figure out if we were overjoyed with theocratic fervour at the thought of receiving the book or just taking the pi$$. The talk probably lasted twice as long as it should have because of us and took up part of the lunch break but it was worth it.

We were taking the pi$$ btw (me and my cousin were at any rate)

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

NWT - lol - that is soooooooo funny. I can see I'm going to like you

• new light
    new light

Freaking hilarious.

• glitter
    glitter

I would have been there - but I can't remember that... I remember I got the YPA at a convention though but only remember *having* it when going home. Dammit, I wish I'd been older, I probably wouldn't have been brave enough to go down to sit on my own with the other kids or wouldn't have cottoned on that you were taking the piss or something at 8/9.

It's bloody hilarious though!

Do you remember in about '99 when the bomb squad blew up a suspicious package at Leeds that turned out to be a box of Bibles? I read about that on Ceefax - the brother who left them there, I later found out, was in my congregation (when I used to go).

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation
    Do you remember in about '99 when the bomb squad blew up a suspicious package at Leeds that turned out to be a box of Bibles?

LOL!!!

Yeah I remember that! I was on security that assembly. They evacuated the whole stand didn't they? That was hilarious because the guy who reported the package to the police was on security too at the other end of the stadium. He was a real jobsworth and I didn't like him at all. He was always counselling people and bossing people around even though he was only a publisher and mentally deficient to boot. I wish the police had booked him for wasting police time.

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen
    Do you remember in about '99 when the bomb squad blew up a suspicious package at Leeds that turned out to be a box of Bibles?

That happened in Omaha Nebraska 'bout '94 or '95. Was a briefcase some one had left on the sidewalk outside the Music Hall after a Circus A$$embly. Was kinda gratifying to see the bomb squad blow up the thing. Wonder if some brother just got fed up and left it there, never to return to the fold?

• glitter
    glitter

I just felt awful for the brother who left it there (because he's a nice guy), imagine, put the box down for a few minutes, *maybe* forget about it and do something else and BOOM paper comes fluttering down! *So* embarrassing!

• glitter
    glitter

Wonder if some brother just got fed up and left it there, never to return to the fold?

That would be a *great* exit story.

"Yeah, my briefcase got blown up by the bomb squad, I took that as a sign."

• Latte
    Latte

glitter,

I remember I got the YPA at a convention

Yeah, I recieved my wonderful YPA book from main road - oh the joy!

The main road kids would never behave the way the 'Leeds crowd' behaved! Maybe we were just 'more spiritual'!...lol

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Was it leeds, that year?

I was living near Nottingham (Eastwood Cong., in Derby #1 Circuit) from '83 - '90.
    It used to be the Hillington ground (Sheffield Wednesday), then we were at Nottm Forest and Derby County for a couple of years, Leeds, one year, and Sheffield near Meadowhall, latterly.

I forget which year was which, but I recall the YPA book release. THey did the same with the Red Youth book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit