Help and advice needed soon , please

by jules99 39 Replies latest jw friends

• jules99
    jules99

I am looking for some advice to hopefully prevent me going mad.

My husband (an elder) was disf?d by the JWs 8 years ago for having an affair with me and consequently leaving his wife. He has 4 grown-up children and 9 grandchildren. One of his sons saw him about 4 times in 8 years and let him see his 3 grandchildren about twice. The rest of them have had no contact with him whatsoever.

I am not a JW (lapsed Catholic actually), but 3 years ago we started to go to meetings (at a different KH), together, albeit sitting at the back, no-one allowed to talk to us. 2 years ago we got married and Dan applied for re-instatement, he was refused and told to re-apply in 12 months, which he did and was refused again and told to re-apply in 6 months, which he did. This time the elders granted him ?an audience?. After dragging him through all his past "misdemeanours" once again for good measure, they told him to go away and re-apply in 6 months, which was up last month.

In all this time he has been compassionate and understanding of the action his family have chosen to take, even though it has caused him (and indirectly me) untold suffering and heartache, particularly with regard to the grandchildren. Neither has he ever put any pressure on me to ?join?. Dan always made a point of keeping in regular contact with disf?d people himself (another one of his past misdemeanours!), and he helped many of them, never putting any pressure on them to go back to the organisation.

But 4 weeks ago Dan, a fit and healthy specimen, collapsed and died 2 minutes after getting home from his usual 4-mile run. The messy business of dealing with his estranged JW family, and the funeral was bad enough (I won?t even regale you with that) although I maintained my dignity despite being furious.

As you can probably imagine, I am beside myself with grief and barely know what day it is, but I found a letter he'd written to the elders in his briefcase, re-applying for re-instatement. In my confusion at the time I gave it to an elder from our local KH who visited me, and asked him if he could see whether they would re-instate him anyway, because I know that is what Dan would have wanted.

The thing is, I know I am not in a great state of mind at the moment but I keep thinking if I don?t carry on going to the KH, what will happen to me when I die? Because all I want is to go wherever Dan has gone. And if they do re-instate him that means I have to be a JW too, doesn?t it? Except I don?t want to go there, I only went in the first place to help Dan get re-instated.

If these ramblings make any sense to anyone, please help, because I am terrified and there is no-one else I can ask.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I really feel for you!!!
    Things are bound to be difficult and emotional, right now.

They wont re-instate him posthumously.
    Do you have family of your own to turn to?

Setting aside what the JW's believe, where do YOU think Dan is? And where do YOU want to go?

• Will Power
    Will Power

Jules, I am so sorry for your loss. Your story is heartbreaking.

I am not a JW either and my advice to cherish your husband's memory would be very one sided, that is, to stay away from the KH. There are many others here who have alot of experiences to offer. It is early in the day.

sincerely

• under74
    under74
    And if they do re-instate him that means I have to be a JW too, doesn?t it?

I'm pretty sure Little Toe's correct on this. And even if there was a strange exception taken, it doesn't mean you have to be a JW as well. You are not baptized and from the sounds of it aren't studying so you have no ties.

You're going through a really tough time right now. I'm sorry for the troubles you're going through. It might be helpful to speak in person to someone about everything you're going through. If there's no one like family or freinds available there may be a counselor or therapist in your area that can help you out a bit....even many churches (non-JW) have resources to help if you need someone to speak to one on one.

I hope things get better for you real soon.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Jules:

what will happen to me when I die? Because all I want is to go wherever Dan has gone.

Really, how can any of us really know. We would have to drag you through the belief system of the JW's and then inject you with the antidote in order to really put to rest your fears, but whatever is out there is not reserved just for a religion that has predicted the end multiple times and taught falsehoods in the name of God or is based on false dating systems.

My your hubby rest in peace and I hope you find some. Stick around and air things out with us.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Dear Jules, I have good news for you.

All the direction given you so far is correct, JW's will not posthumously reinstate a DF'd one. However, there is an interesting exit clause in the JW doctrine. Anybody who dies before Armageddon gets a second chance in Paradise earth. Your husband is secure in Jehovah's memory, and will have a new chance in Paradise.

You, also, will likely die before Armageddon, which I doubt it is coming in the next thirty years. That means that you will join him in Paradise earth as well. Even rank "sinners" get this second chance if they die before Armageddon. You never have to attend another Kingdom Hall, and you can still get to see your Dan, under JW doctrine.

As you have already experienced, the Watchtower society is woefully inadequate in its' grief counselling. I strongly suggest you join a local support group. It might help to talk to others about spiritual things, just to build your own faith up, and to help you think about what God is like, forgiveness, and our eternal reward.

By the way, I am a non-JW married to one, who also had to watch the agonizing process of reinstatement - if they don't like you very much. For elder's kids and those with an "in" with the society, reinstatement takes 6 months tops.

• jules99
    jules99

Thanks Little Toe and everyone,

I don't know where Dan is - before I met him I would've said he was with Jesus in Heaven watching over me and waiting for me (RC teaching) but now I would say he was asleep and knows nothing until Jehovah brings him back (JW teaching). I don?t care where I go as long as Dan?s there eventually. I am confused. And angry. And afraid.

My family have been great but they are very anti-Witness, especially after the funeral, which wasn't allowed to be in the KH, but the Crematorium was attended by at least 200 people, about half of them Witnesses. The elder from our KH agreed to do the service, and I asked Dan's family what songs they wanted, and let them carry his coffin in, even though I felt like screaming at them for not seeing him for 8 years. His eldest son rang me the night before the funeral and questioned that I wanted to sing "Abide with Me". He made me feel awful, and said his Dad wouldn't have wanted that, so even though I THOUGHT I knew Dan would have liked it, I caved-in after about 20 minutes of his sons' verbal battering, and cancelled the song. Then the service was all ?Jehovah-God? this and ?Jehovah-God? that. I felt the elder was trying to make a point. He does the Watchtower on a Sunday, and he said ?Jehovah-God? more times at Dan?s funeral than I?ve heard him say it in 3 years. I think my family felt uncomfortable, and half the congregation didn?t know what he was on about.

My family have seen how upset I've been over the way Dan's family have behaved, it is all weird to them. So I don't feel I can talk to them about it because it gets them angry, and they don?t understand, and I spend half my time trying to explain why the JWs behave in a certain way and it?s just too exhausting. And I had counselling when I was about 20 (I found out that my Mum?s death when I was 9 had been suicide), and it didn?t do me a lot of good. The only person I could ever talk to was Dan. And now he?s gone. Although I still talk to him.

I?m overwhelmed by how kind you all have been ? at last, people who know what I?m talking about!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Does this link help?

http://www.westlancsdc.gov.uk/Life/index.cfm?ccs=384

Oh, and about the funeral. JW's don't get individualized services. There is an outline for Elders to follow. You got the outline that all JW's get. Very impersonal. Perhaps your own family would be better served with a private memorial say, at one month or one year after your beloved's passing, at his gravesite. You could remenisce about all the qualities that made your Dan special.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

"Abide with me" is a beautiful song.

We can understand, because many of us have been through what Dan and/or yourself have been through.
    You really need your family right now. Try not to distance yourself from them. Perhaps if you just asked them to hold back their anger, for your sake, and for a non-judgemental shoulder to cry on...

I strongly suspect that a while from now you'll not be able to defend the JWs either for what they've done. or their mindset. Meanwhile, however, try to take each day at a time. It's VERY early days in the grief process. Given what you've said about continuing to talk to Dan, I suspect the RC paradigm is stronger in you that the WTS-sleeping one. I would offer that that's a good thing

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

jgnat:I just wanted to comment that that was both observant and practical of you.
    Well done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit