Mother in law told off for speaking to her daughter

by chuckyy 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• chuckyy
    chuckyy

DAVID

Thanks for replying. I certainly, for one, do not think that you are a liar. You are genuine, i can tell that from your comments. But...i must reply to you on a few points. David, you mentioned organ transplants. The reason for not accepting organ transplants before 1980 was not to do with blood. If you peruse through some pre 1980 watchtowers with regard to the question of transplants, you will see that the society viewed an organ transplant as a form of 'cannibalism'. (Even cornea transplants of the eye to prevent blindness were viewed this way)

But nevertheless, we could apply the same principles to blood fractions. Some blood fractions that were previously viewed as unscriptural by the society can now be used. Now, if we go back to the time when these fractions WERE available but were considered unscriptural, where does that leave us?

I know for a certainty that people have lost loved ones (Haemophiliacs...children with leukaemia as examples) in the past because a particular blood fraction that is now permissable, was unscriptural then.(FACTOR V111 for example) Consider too, the issue of vaccinations. Before 1952, vaccinations against disease were considered as unscriptural. Now, they would be a matter of conscience if they contained a blood fraction. So, even though it was a comparitively long time ago, what of all the needless suffering of little children that were not protected against disease?

David, my own 5 yr old will need open heart surgery and this is why i have become paticularly empathetic with ones that have been involved in the situations mentioned. There have been reversals/changes of policy and this has resulted in needless suffering. I am not being confrontational but i would like to know your opinion on these things David.

Chukky

• chuckyy
    chuckyy

David

I forgot to mention:

People do not always leave JW's to believe in another system. Sometimes it is enough to have a belief in the scriptures and in God rather than specific doctrines to which we may never know the true answers too. Personally, i do not believe in hellfire because it does not reflect love. I am not for one minute suggesting that there is no truth in JW's ....on the contrary, i think that there is BUT...there is certainly also error.

• clementine
    clementine

last year, a friend of minewas disfellowsiped. she was only 19 but her parents asked her to leave the house. she had to pay for her studies, for a room, for food... i found that totally disgusting. she drove mad, and return to the KH. then, her parents were agree to see her again. she had not change, she was still the same girl before being disfellowsiped, while being disfellowshiped, and after. but her parents did love her only when she was "a good christian". that's really great that your mother-in law is this way, and continues to see you!!

• rebel8
    rebel8

So OP, what happened to your MIL? Was she able to say that seeing you and your spouse was a matter ok with her personal conscience, or was she reproved?

• David2002
    David2002

Chukky, I am very sorry to hear that your 5 year-old child needs heart surgery. I hope everything turns out OK for you and your family. It is true some of the older Wts called transplants cannibalistic. However, you have to keep in mind that when transplants were introduced as a new surgical procedure, many ethical questions were raised. And it was not just the Witnesses who were asking them, but other groups. Was the procedure right in the eyes of God? Also, many early transplants were failures, leading even some in the medical profession to question their usefulness. This may help explain why Jehovah?s Christian Witnesses felt their were moral issues involving transplants. Also, some of the early WT articles linked transplants with transfusions. For instance, 11/15/67 Q&A WT article on whether or not one can donate body parts for transplants after ones dies, says the following ?Would a Christian who, while living, refused to give his blood to be used as a transfusion for some other person, allow his body to be turned over to a group or to a person and possibly at that time have the blood removed and used for transfusion, as has been done with some cadavers? (See, for example, Awake! of October 22, 1962, page 30.) A person might feel that he could stipulate that his body not be used in that way; but if many persons in authority refuse to abide by a Christian?s wishes about blood when he is alive, what reason is there to believe they will show more respect for his wishes after his death? Would they use his organs in cannibalistic medical experiments?? The link with blood transfusions is even seen after 1980, in a 5/15/84 WT Q&A article dealing with bone marrow transplants. (Related to ethical issues the ?Insight on News? section of the WT dated 11/15/74 which alluded to a horrid article by the president of the Institute of Society, Ethics and the Life Sciences, called ?Harvesting the Dead,? which talk about the possibility of using clinically dead bodies for possible organ transplants and to ?draining periodically? for blood to be used as transfusions.) The issue of vaccinations are similar to that of organ transplants. When first introduced into the medical field, many vaccinations were dangerous. People died from them. Ethical and moral issues were raised not only by the Witnesses, but by other religious groups. Even some in the medical profession spoke against them. Now, they are generally safe, and it is up to the Witnesses whether or not they wish to take them. With regarding certain factors found in blood which are now allowed: the way I see it, when blood transfusions became popular in the 1950?s, the question was raised as to whether taking a transfusion would violate the apostles edict of Acts 15:28,29 to abstain from blood. Christians concluded that yes it was. Progress in the medical field as led to new technology whereby blood and its components can be separated. Certain parts, such as albumin, which is also found naturally in vegetables and eggs, can also be separated. If one wanted to get a transfusion from albumin, which is derived from blood, but not necessarily blood, then that is up to him and God. Some Christians, however, will not accept anything derived from blood. The Society while correctly noting that whole blood is strictly condemned in the Bible, also know that it is does not certain components, which are also available naturally in vegetable or eggs, and are separated from whole blood. Therefore, while not saying it is right, and it leaves up to the Christian to decide. A rough illustration - you?re told not to eat a ham and cheese sandwich. But the sandwich also includes mustard. You know not to eat the ham and the cheese, but maybe you can have the mustard.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies
    A rough illustration - you?re told not to eat a ham and cheese sandwich. But the sandwich also includes mustard. You know not to eat the ham and the cheese, but maybe you can have the mustard.

Except with the Society's current policies, you can have the bread, the ham, and the cheese, just as long as you don't eat the sandwich! Where is the logic in that? More importantly whre is the scriptural basis???

No Apologies

• Namasti
    Namasti

Jehovahs Witness are a cult built on hatred! Ditto. Everytime I hear of story such as yours, I'm still shocked, although I've seen so many go through this horrid treatment of people and I suffered it myself. Just have to be thankful that we were able to see the light and now can enjoy true relationships built out of love. Hang tough.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

For a minute there I thought I was back in the kingdom hall...eeeekkkkk!!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

To the contrary, Jehovah's Christian Witnesses are a faith based on love. (John 13:34,35; 1 John 4:6-12)

Oh please....

Open your eyes...any religion that practices shunning for the reasons they do isnt showing love; throughout life we find friends some better than others...when a friend falls off the straight and narrow the answer isnt to distance yourself from them it is to support them and do your best to get them back on track and if they dont providing it isnt something totally abhorrent then you accept them as different and you respect their position.

Disfellowshipping is supposed to be for those who are unrepentant sinners against God....not the WTBTS... God and even so i know of a number of occasions where people have committed immorality (as the dubs call it) and genuinely been repentant....but still been shunned....wheres the love in that...again open your eyes friend.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:you?re told not to eat a ham and cheese sandwich. But the sandwich also includes mustard. You know not to eat the ham and the cheese, but maybe you can have the mustard.

LOL. Unfortunetly this illustration is garbage. 'The mustard' that you speak of is in actuality part of the 'blood'. I don't mean to be rude, but what are you thinking? Where in the Bible does it specify what type of blood fraction is a conscience matter to use and what is a disassociating offence?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit