National ID Cards

by RescueMe 27 Replies latest social current

• observador
    observador

"The measure, called the Real ID Act, says that driver's licenses and other ID cards must include a digital photograph, anticounterfeiting features and undefined "machine-readable technology, with defined minimum data elements" that could include a magnetic strip or RFID tag."

Nothing new here! A lot of states do this already!

"States would be required to demand proof of the person's Social Security number and confirm that number with the Social Security Administration. They would also have to scan in documents showing the person's date of birth and immigration status"

States has been doing that for a long time now.

The only thing that seems to be new is that States would have to share their database now (?)
    I don't see exactly what else is new in this Act.

Observador.

• one
    one
    States has been doing that for a long time now.

all 50 including territories?

Now all of them are being TOLD how to do it, the data format etc.

Besides looks like they are going to be "supervised' from a central host, making sure they comply, specially any new license issued.

MORE power to the FEDERAL...

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

I have no problem with digitized info on a driver's license. Many states including the one I reside in do so. I do have reservations about the administration of such a program.

The only thing that seems to be new is that States would have to share their database now (?)
    I don't see exactly what else is new in this Act.

As a former transportation safety professional, I will attest to the fact that a similar federal program (the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986) did not work for the first 13 years it was in place. It put great burden on the employer, and even with vigilant checks, there were great anomolies from state to state. Also, it did not remove 'bad' drivers from the road. The national database that would have caught multi state licenses was never implemented, or was ineffectivley administered, again putting the burden on the employer.

Maybe, this is Mr. Bush's was of creating jobs. The local news in Minneapolis had a feature last week on the TSA employees who stand around in airports doing crossword puzzles durring downtime. And there is lots of downtime for them. But hey, they are employed!

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safetyprogs/cdl.htm

• one
    one
    Fossil fuel grabbing stagnation, and what passes as survival instinct is entropy. If we are the 'best and the brightest', let's act like it.

antropy yes, but (circular here) for top usa officials the "brightest" ideas is go grab the oil,

the reason is they don't want the usa to become an island, as your suggestion imply, (not possible anyway from a socioeconomic standpoint).

Besides they want to retain world power (they better retain it as some countires are just waiting for an opportunity to... )

Therefore.they have no choice... oil is THE ticket.

My appologies to all, for getting this off topic, but this apparently has hit my hot button. I didn't think I had one left!

LOL, regarding going off topic, no one can help, all issues are related, it my fault anyway.

"Anyone who gives up his liberty for security deserves neither."

that's exactly what we got as result of "free" elections

• one
    one
    It put great burden on the employer, and even with vigilant checks, there were great anomolies from state to state.

it wont resolve any problems, they (terrorist?) will find the way to get away. But it is an step further to a centralized control which they think could be improved with future better technology etc.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

The problem of making states verify someone's immigration status is that this law is aa huge unfunded mandate. I don't think the federal government has proposed any real way to help the states pay for it.

Employers have to verify someone's immigration status when they hire a new employee. It is pretty simple, but it gets time consuming if you are doing more than a few people. I think the states are going to have to figure out a way to pay for all the extra work, possibly increasing the license fees. I don't mind paying a little more for my license to make sure we are not giving ids and licenses to undocumented aliens, BUT the costs to get this done in the beginning will be huge.

As far as privacy concerns, my only issue is that the social security number is NOT on the id or license itself. I can see verifying it, but not displaying it on the card.

• Valis
    Valis

I wouldn't mind one if it also substituted as a passport.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

WE ARE BORG.....

what real difference is it if the thug making you have an ID card is the state or the fed? I find the whole paranoia

about who is monitoring the ID cards silly... the only thing I can find good about not allowing the FED to do it, is for the criminals who

bank on the mass confusion that currently exists.... why worry about rights when it comes to IDs? we already have plenty of IDs and no one has lost anything that I can tell... but most states not communicating with each other over the IDs has allowed a lot of crooked stuff like big rig drivers who get new licenses when they blow out the old ones with fines and tickets... what are you really defending by preventing a national ID card?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit