VH1 - Behind the Witness. . .

by ithinkisee 34 Replies latest members private

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

(Sorry, this got really long.)

How do I get out?

Here's the deal. I've been married for 10 years. Grew up in a "divided household" (Dad not a Witness). My mom came into the "Truth" in about 1977. I did some holidays early on. I am the oldest and have a couple sisters and a brother. Went to Bethel when I was 19 for about 2 and a half years. Left and got married to a pioneer sister I met while at Bethel (she was not a Bethlelite). I have been married for 10 years.

About 7 or 8 years ago I read a book called "Secrets Of Sinai" which was a great book, and for awhile I got into translations and would look up stuff and compare translations at the library. It became pretty clear to me after awhile that the Society had changed much more in the Bible than they let on - and that wasn't even the REAL reason I was looking the stuff up - I was just trying to bolster my faith.

Around the same time the new Creator book came out (I think it was around the same time). There were quotes in that book from scientists and scholars. I recalled that some of these same experts had been quoted in the old Odyssey space magazines my mom subscribed me to as a kid. I was way into astronomy and outer space and rockets and stuff. I had a hard time believing that these same guys that used to spout evolution were now saying the earth was created. I looked up some of these magazines and books that some of their findings were published in and realized that the Society greatly took their statements out of context. I'm embarrassed to say that as a Ministerial Servant I even bragged that the new Trinity brochure had a quote from the Catholics own encyclopedia claiming that the Trinity didn't make sense! If only I had looked at the Catholic Enclyclopedia myself I would have realized they took their quote WAY out of context.

Also about the same time I started to become conscious of some of the weird logic the Society would use to make points. Nothing specific - but I would just remember thinking to myself that things didn't make sense. Lots of fallacies. One I never got even as a kid was, "How do we know the BIble is written by God? Because it says so right in the bible!".

By this time I was in my mid-20's and had lived in several different cities and had noticed a general pattern of JW's. There are the cliches - the ones with lots of money that seemed to be held to different standards. The families that had powerful elder husband/fathers and their children that completely skirted the rules. The powerful elders that just knew by instinct how many meetings they could miss without arousing suspicion. The cliques became obvious - and I realized I myself had been in a pretty powerful one in the congregation I had grown up in. I had been one of those clique people. Now my sisters family where I live are VERY well-respected in our littl area. They have TONS of money, successful business, and all of them are borderline alcoholics. Actually that is one thing that REALLY concerns me. I like my alcohol, but everywhere I go in the country JW's are rabid about alcohol. I guess whatever it takes to dull the senses. My mom had always said, "I have never had a problem with the Society, but I sure do have problems with the brothers sometimes." This seemed like a lame rationalization - because these people were the PRODUCT of the lifestyle the Society promotes. I believe there is a book that says, "By their fruits you will recognize them." (There was a thread on this somewhere recently on this board)

I also stepped back and took a look around and noticed that these people WEREN'T happy. Most that were happy were so blissfully into the "Truth" that you could hit them in the ass with every lie from the WTBS and they wouldn't get it. The others that were real happy were highly medicated. Most of the people in power did not really seem to be happy - but somehow their "priviliges of service" seemed to be what gave them fullfillment. Regional Kingdom Hall stuff, Service Committee Stuff, hall maintenance, and stuff like that. The differences between the WT and other organized religions were becoming less and less.

During all this time the "new light" from 1995 kept coming back to haunt me. I can't deny I felt gipped. In some ways it didn't surprise me. I felt like they were going to have to come up with something years before 1995 anyways- because, I really think I subsconsciously realized the ridiculousness of their claim that the generation would not pass before Armageddon hit. EVen when I was at Bethel some people sort of hinted that "something" was going to have to be done.

Speaking of Bethel, there were alot of things there that also set of bells in my head. Somebody mentioned one time at Bethel that Fred Franz's brother was once on the governing body and was now apostate. So I started asking around about what his beef was. I would get just dismissive generic statements about how the disagreed on some minor issues and Ray made a big deal about it. Some wouldn't say anything

Anyways, during all this time I have gone back and forth - highs to lows. I always felt all my doubts were just my cockiness exhibiting itself - the same cockiness of my "unbelieving father" that my mom used to guilt me with.

Then a couple years ago when the whole UN thing broke wide open, that really got my attention. Then when the child abuse scandals started being made known, that also got my attention. Even today I was thinking how weird it was that NO ONE really talks about the Dateline story. NO ONE. So strange. . .

I notice the tremendous lack of urgency anymore. I notice many many brothers simply choosing not to get active in the congregation - as in - being subject to the elders by being an MS or elder or whatever.

The final kicker came a few months ago when I decided to research my last thread of faith - dates. 607 yadda yadda. I am sure you know where I got with that. I was then FLOORED. I finally looked up and said to myself, "Well, that's it." But it's not that easy is it?

So here I am.

I have a wife in the "Truth" and 2 lovely daughters. The more I try and drop little nuggets of information about the hypocrisy WTBS or things that just don't "jive", the more she just shrugs it off. I have been staying up late for months now (though my doubts go several years back) researching. I have been researching and trying to come up with a concise list of gripes - using primarily only the Society's own literature.

I think the only thing I can do is clearly, honestly, and humbly present what i have found to her. On issues like 607vs586/7 and NWT Translation errors, trinity, creation, misquotes and flip/flopping on blood, the UN, child abuse, and whether or not they are prophets and stuff I have narrowed each point down to bulleted points and 1 or 2 of the society's own documents (stating there are plenty more where these came from) as smoking guns. I will then conclude with the Society's own quotes about false prophets, and religions that lie to their members. Also how they have condemned other religions on much less evidence than I have just presented.

Honestly? I am trying to stay positive, but I don't think it is going to go well. Both sides of our families are all in the "Truth" - one family member is the head of Regional Building Committee, others are elders, pioneers, etc. We have the book study at my house.

My question:

I cannot stand another month of field service and meetings. I need to make a break. I cannot stay at home after I leave. I can't fade quietly because I can't take the guilty looks of the congregation if they come to my house or if I see them while I am out on a business lunch at a restaurant or something. I was from a "divided household" and I can

I want to make sure I can still maintain communication with my kids. How do I do this? I feel like my wife is just going to resent me, and since we have really grown into different people I can probably deal with that. But I want her to know before that happens that I researched and provided a really strong argument. Even if she doesn't jump ship now, that what I tell her will sit with her and she will be reminded of it when she hears stuff at the meetings that don't jive.

Based on what I have read on these boards since I have been on (for about a month now) I am guessing I SHOULDN'T do a DA letter because that would make it "Official". I don't know how to fade quietly though if I am related to everyone in the three surrounding cities (20+ congregations) here.

Ugh. I just feel everything unraveling.

I only discovered this site about a month ago. I honestly don't know what I would do without this site now. I think only 15-20 years ago, had I been this age then, I would have just continued on like I am currently - thinking I was alone in this and that all apostates were just loony like the ones that used to scream and yell outside the Tacoma Dome in Washington State when I was a kid in the 80's. The fact is, they probably felt pretty alone then too.

You have no idea how much this site has helped me to realize I am not alone in this. I am just so freaking embarrassed that I stayed a part of this religion for so long.

So that's my story for now. . . there's alot more - like my parent's divorce when I was in my mid-20's and the "apostate" lawyer my dad hired. So my mom hired a WT Big Gun Lawyer. Naturally that turned ugly.

I'll save that for another time.

If you're still reading, thanks for listening,

ithinkisee

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I didn't finish some paragraphs. This one should read:

I cannot stand another month of field service and meetings. I need to make a break. I cannot stay at home after I leave. I can't fade quietly because I can't take the guilty looks of the congregation if they come to my house or if I see them while I am out on a business lunch at a restaurant or something. I was from a "divided household" and I can remember the looks of disdain my dad had to endure at the hands of the "brothers".

and another paragraph:

Speaking of Bethel, there were alot of things there that also set of bells in my head. Somebody mentioned one time at Bethel that Fred Franz's brother was once on the governing body and was now apostate. So I started asking around about what his beef was. I would get just dismissive generic statements about how the disagreed on some minor issues and Ray made a big deal about it. Some wouldn't say anything and would look around real quick to see if anyone heard me asking about it. I knew Ciro Aulicino pretty well and he always talked openly about their UN "Press Pass" so he could go in every week and look over any new info they had that might tip the Society off on who the "King Of The North" is.

Mostly I really was disgusted by all the arrogance - constantly bragging about buildings, printing presses, how fast elevators were, and how much they could carry, etc etc

I had a friend who worked in Purchasing and he would show us on the computer the 10's of millions (literally) the Society spent on the Video Production. The numbers were sickening - especially considering all the third world countries that could use a kingdom hall or something.

(That's all my revisions for now. . .heh)

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

May I be the first on to tell you hello and welcome, ithink. You will find many here that can give you what you most desperately need, understanding.

Take a deep breath, that was a whole lot to get off your shoulders in one post! I may not be the best at giving out advice, hell Im still trying to deal with just my mother and brother "in"...not a whole bunch of familys.

The thing that worked for me, getting over the depression of finding out that it wasn't the truth, and the shunning of everyone I knew, was leaving that podunk town that I grew up in/ I know exactly what you mean when you talk of cliques and howe your whole life can be inundated around one and the POOF it can be gone. Scary stuff to ones just holding onto a thread, in the congo. I moved 300 miles away. Maybe less milage, say 150-200 miles away would suffice to close members. Tell em you checking out different halls and haven't decided yet.

Just my .02 cents, and of course, welcome to the board! I hope you find what you are looking for.

Melba

• AlanF
    AlanF

You definitely have problems ahead. Been there, done that, about your age. PM me if you like.

You need to take things slow, as much as it kills you. If you don't, you'll be very, very sorry.

AlanF

• cab1000
    cab1000

Wow. Your situation stinks. I am a fader, luckily I am about 150 miles away from my family.

I would think you have to bring your wife on board. But she dont want to hear it. I guess you have to ask yourself what is more important, your wife and family, or faking the meetings.

Would you be able to just s l o w l y back off the meetings? Miss one here and there, then skip field service, here and there, then widen the gaps? Get the freinds and family to learn not to rely on you being there?

Surley in the process you will have to answer the "why?" questions. And, of course there is the trouble, becuase you cant tell them why, or you face shunning or DF'ing. I feel you pain, everything seems to be riding on this.

I have come to hate the society and what they do to familys such as yours, and mine. The stubborn rank and file witness will see any move you make as crazy, and they will mark you as that goofy brother that lost his mind. I mean, you have to be crazy to leave something called the "truth", right? They have all the answers, and if you dont like it, you will be shunned. I think many of us here are in your shoes.....stay strong...and stay sane...its only religion after all.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

Welcome ithinkisee, and thank you for sharing your story with us,

I know fading (sloooowly becoming inactive) can be excruciatingly long and painful. Especially being as how JW's are so good at laying on the guilt nice and thick. "ohhh we miss you at the meetings, is everything ok blah blah blah"

However, for someone in your situation, fading seems like the best option. Getting the rest of your family out is a whole different problem altogether. What's even more painful is that many married couples who leave together find out that the org was all they had in common in the first place. Hopefully your relationship will be strong enough to get through this. There are many people who post here who have managed to get their entire family out of the JW cult. However things end up, It sounds like you are determined to get busy livin, so kudos to you my friend, and I wish you luck.

Here's a really good thread about the "art" of fading...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/34518/1.ashx

Please keep us informed on how things are going.

-Doodle-V

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Regarding doodle-v's comments. . .

My fear right now is that the Truth is REALLY the only common thing we had in the first place.

But then I wrestled with that for some time because I though maybe I was just being a selfish guy and was tired of my wife and wanted a "change of scenery".

For better or for worse, I have realized we only really have the truth in common (and now the kids).

At the time, she reminded me alot of some of the spiritual things my mom had. . . .so there you go. . .

-ithinkisee

• hubert
    hubert

Wow! Quite a story, Ithinkisee. Sorry to hear all this. I'm not in the same situation you're in. I only have a daughter and son-in-law studying with the j.w.'s. and planning to get baptized soon. I've tried everything to get them out of studying with them, and no results. The only thing I can do now is, let them get baptized and maybe they will start to see the changes taking effect in their lives, and hope something will "click" that I've showed them in the past.

Don't feel so bad that it took you years to figure this cult out. There are people here who have been in 20, 30, 40 years before they eventually realized they've been duped, too, so you are definitely not alone. I wish I had found this site long ago, too, but at least you found it. Stick around. There are a lot of good people here that can help you "cope" with your situation, and give you advice.

I agree with you that you need to use their own Watchtower material to help get your wife out, but you'll have to do it slowly.

I can give you this "tidbit" that I found in one of their books, for your research. Keep all your research filed in a locked cabinet, so you can access it when needed. (Hide the key).

I found this statement in their "You can live forever" book, c. 1982, on page 154. which says....

(second paragraph)..."Also, THE BIBLE SAID that all these things would happen upon the generation that was alive in 1914".

Show me the date 1914 in the Bible.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the board.

Hubert

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Hey and welcome, ithinkisee. I know exactly where you are coming from, our stories are very similar. You are really in a tough spot with a wife and kids still in and that. I feel for ya. I don't really know what advice to give you, you might want to get help from some people who have been around the board longer. I personally disassociated and that was the best thing I could have done.. but our circumstances are a little different. I hope things work out for you - keep giving us the play by play.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

ithinkisee-- WELCOME!

Thank you for sharing your story, written so clearly, intelligently and soulfully.

I don't know if it will help or not, but one of my favorite experiences is that of a JW who basically discovered the same things you did and then slowly, gently, helped his wife and kids discover it for themselves as well. It can be found at http://www.freeminds.org/psych/exithelp.htm

Best wishes!

--Merry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit