Christmas Star = Satan?!

by reagan_oconnor 69 Replies latest jw friends

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

I was talking with my husband the other day about the JW's belief that the "Christmas Star" that guided the Magi to Christ was the doings of Satan. He didn't believe me; this is what I found in the "My Book of Bible Stories" (copied verbatim from CD-ROM)

Who do you think made that new star to shine? Remember, the men first went to Jerusalem after seeing the star. Satan the Devil wanted to kill God's Son, and he knew that King Herod of Jerusalem would try to kill him. So Satan is the one who must have made that star shine.
    Matthew 2:1-23; Micah 5:2.

If you check both scriptures, even in the NWT, there is NOTHING that indicates that Satan was the cause of this star. Does anyone know where the JWs got this idea?

Reagan

<Originally I posted this under Research, but didn't get any reads, so I thought I'd post here.>

I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul.

• ianao
    ianao

reagan:

I say the following well knowing it is an unwarrented attack (sorry).

Maybe your husband is an idiot. I don't know how my wife puts up with me personally.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Reagan,

Wish I could answer your question. But coming from a "good dub" background I'll answer your question with a question:

Do JW's HAVE to have backing to teach something they've come up with?

Billygoat

• Seeker
    Seeker

I think that quote contains their reasoning on the matter. No, there is no scripture that says it, but if you reason the way the WTS reasonsed you could come up with that conclusion.

The real purpose of this, of course, was isolationism. The WTS loves to poke holes in what Christendom takes for granted, as a way of making themselves look unique. They do it with the cross, with birthdays, and even with the birth of Christ.

• You Know
    You Know

The Magi were from the East. That meant they were from Babylon. Babylon was Israel's mortal enemy. Jehovah condemned the Babylonish practices of star gazing in order to foretell future events. The angels of God announced to the shepherds Jesus' birth, not to pagan Chaldeans. Jehovah would not have violated his own law against divination by luring Magi from Babylon with a moving "star" that first led them to Herod who wanted to destroy God's child. Then the "star" parked right over where Jesus was living at the time. The fact that an angel told Joseph to take off to Egypt with Mary and Jesus proves that Jehovah did not lead the astrologers to Jesus since God took measures to thwart the Devilish attempt on Jesus' life.

/ You Know

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

ianao: Sorry, don't understand your comment. You really ought to clarify!

Seeker: I agree about the isolationism.

You Know: I'm looking for scriptural proof that the support JWs comment that "Satan is the one who must have made that star shine."

I am just tired of the "reasoning" issue; I don't want the JW "reasoning" I want scriptural proof. I've had JW reasoning for 20 years; now I want to know what the BIBLE says.

I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul.

• ianao
    ianao

reagan: Nevermind. It was a dumb joke. The only clarification is stupidity on my part.

• You Know
    You Know
    I am just tired of the "reasoning" issue;

Children have to have everything spelled out for them. Paul noted that many 1st century Christians were mere babes spiritually and could not grasp the deep things of God's word because it required reasoning ability. The reaon apostates are in the pathetic spiritual condition that they are in is because, as the Scriptures indicate, they are as unreasoning beasts. / You Know

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Reagan,

Sweetie, you should know by now that the WTS DOESN'T NEED scriptural backing to believe what it believes! The history of this organization shows that it makes statements like this on a regular basis without scriptural backing. The GB decides when a scripture is needed, not needed, taken out of context, twisted, taken literally, taken figuratively, etc. For example, if they take the 144,000 to be a literal number, shouldn't they take the "toilet" issue (see JanH's thread...) to be literal as well? The GB is all-knowing and divinely inspired...they don't need proof. Haha!

Billygoat

• ianao
    ianao
    The reaon apostates are in the pathetic spiritual condition that they are in is because, as the Scriptures indicate, they are as unreasoning beasts. / You Know

So does this mean that you are a reasoning beast (The Troll You Know)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit