what we used to call "privileges"

by in a new york bethel minute 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• Preston
    Preston

I had a lengthy discussion with an elder from my old hall last Saturday who i haven't seen in years. He was a pleasant German Brother and I told him that it would seem kind of innefficient for the organization to chose some really unqualified people cause if you had a business you would choose the best people for the job. According to him its not necessarily "smarts" but zeal and willingness people are after, which is B.S. even though it came from a good person. It always struck me as a blessing that we outgrew something where qualifications weren't necessarily dictated by smarts but by physical characteristics, gender and quotas. I don't know about you but there are laws in my state that prevent businesses from hiring people based upon these characteritics lest the owner be sued for discrimination. I was the accounts servant for my hall and we used a ACHS via phone to dicate the amount of money we were getting every week via contributions and a reconciliation sheet every month that looked like a 5 year old could do it. Being a mic handler meant no great shakes (penis or no penis), you former sisters should be glad you were spared the clown college we endured

- Preston (former JW taliban)

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    They cannot conduct a meeting or give a public talk.

And *I* considered THAT a blessing!

I hated giving talks, I had full-blown panic attacks just before those "assignments", even in the small school in the library!

I hated the idea of being timed, keeping the points I was working on in mind, having to use the WTS chosen topic and appearing "cool" and conversational.

I quite often felt that if *I* could have chosen the subject rather than something dry and boring---that I could have developed a much more interesting talk.

I often wondered how the brothers got through giving 45 minute talks and those in assemblies that were strongly outlined and couldn't inject anything of a friendly or personal manner. Sheesh!

Annie

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

I enjoyed doing mikes, for the following reasons

1. It made the time go faster.

2. I never paid attention when I did mike, (but was way better than just sitting there)

3. cleavage shots

• Dismembered
    Dismembered
    In my congregation, elders and most other baptized men (other than myself) carry the microphones. I used to be a PO but now only have the extra privilege of helping to clean the KH (especially the restrooms). All my "other" privileges were removed (5 years ago) without any type of meeting with me and simply on the basis of things I had said about the WTS. They wanted to teach me a lesson and they certainly have.

FairMind

FairMind, Tell those guys to eat shit! Dismembered

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    In the congregations around here there are so few brothers who qualifiy and show up to do the mikes that the elders are forced to do it.

In our congregation, the elders did none of that, no matter what. At one point we had one MS (my brother), so I was assigned to help collect the money in the contribution boxes, and help with the accounts. I found that very weird since we had like 10 elders at the time. Of course, I was ecstatic about it since I was chosen over all of the other sisters to do it. Kinda sad the things we used to get excited about..

• claytoncapeletti
    claytoncapeletti

Ah yes, I remember the good ol days of walking around with the mics. Trying not to laugh when my friends made faces, trying to hold the mics still while some know it all answered. From the mics I was promoted to the sound board, then all the way to the maginze counter. Everyone used to tell me I was building up experence so that I would be a minsteral servant. Then on to being a ELDER! Man what a missed oppurtinutiy I had. If it werent for that pesky thing called free will and indepent thinking, I could still be climbing the societys ladder to success!

Much love

Clayton

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I heard not long ago that back in my old (25 yrs ago) congo one sister liked it when I did mikes because she thought I had a cute bottom!!

Hamsters rock!

• wednesday
    wednesday

In the 50-60 and maybe even into the 70's they used mature sisters if the cong was small and it was needed. (probably still do if the need should arise) I have often seen a mature sister with a head covering conduct the service arrangement. I have never seen a sister offer the prayer at the KH, but I'm sure it has happened somewhere. I have seen elders hld the "mic" many times, but seldom behind the literature counter or almost never in the parking lot. Congs have a reputation and some are more humble than others.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

This alone should sound a bell in intelligent womens heads in this organization. We are living in a time and age when women ARE ON AN EQUAL FOOTING with men in society. Women hold public office and are CEOs in major corporations. Equal pay for equal work. It is customary for women to be educated and to work; just like men. Perhaps the percentages are not yet 100% equal yet; but is unparralled in any other time of history.

Yet in the wonderfully "simplistic" world of the Jehovahs Witness; women are still treated like 2nd class citizens. They cannot conduct a meeting or give a public talk. They are discouraged to achieve higher education more than the young men. If a baptized brother is present they cannot conduct a book study or meeting for field service. They must be "subservient" to the male. Chattel? Draconian thinking? Domination or control of your lifes partner? Why?

Totally...i know it is sometimes weird for a man to take a liberal feminist view of this but this is so true...how behind the times is the WTBTS....to be honest...i think the WTBTS is threatened by the thoughts of being in the presence of an intelligent women...personally this stinks.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

[quote] like those brittish guards [\quote]

You mean the Coldstream Regiment with the ridiculous hats and poker faces outside Buckingham Palace. I went out with one once!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit