what we used to call "privileges"

by in a new york bethel minute 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

of all the privileges only brothers may have, doing mics seemed to be one of the most tedious. it was definitely something you could graduate from... but why? when i was the sound guy, it was always so hard to get brothers to do the mics. we had a list of brothers qualified to do it, but none of them seemed to want to. this being said, even as a last resort, i would never ask an elder to do it... and i can't recall even asking an MS to perform the task.

why are they above it? are there any other privileges that an elder won't take part in? give me some examples, or perhaps expand on mine. thanks dudes and dudettes!

bethel

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

this being said, even as a last resort, i would never ask an elder to do it.. (carry microphones).

Why not I certainlky did it and asked other elders to also

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

In the congregations I've attended, handling the mikes really was considered a privilege. It was usually the MS's job, though I've seen elders do it. In one congregation, they used mainly young boys that they were grooming for MS. I was pretty goody-two-shoe with the regulation rose-colored glasses, so maybe everybody hated it and I just didn't see it.

I handled mike (there was only one) in one congregation on the very first night I attended. They knew I was coming, pioneer moving where the 'need was great', but I didn't know any of them. They'd put up 20 hands, get called on, then they'd all go down! Who's "Sister Black"? Nothing like making a good first impression.

Dave

• Brummie
    Brummie

Last time I did mics I wacked a sister in the mouth by accident, the thud was so loud across the speakers! I didnt want to do it again.

How about car park duty? What a privilege that was huh! Walking round in the snow with headphones on pretending to be listening to the talk..

Brummie

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I hated doing mics. I didn't have an abundance of upper body strength, especially when long winded brothers and sisters would get to yacking. And don't you know it, they would always sit out of reach, so you had to lean over other people and extend you arm way out.

Another thing is that I have an honest and sometimes expressive face. When you are standing there holding the mike, you are facing everybody else. On occasion, when certain "wise" and "mature" individuals would make comments that even JWs would see as Crack-pot, my face would get still, my eyes would get either huge like saucers, or no-blinking. Or say, the answer was about sexual immorality blah blah; there I was, Deer-in-the-Headlights, trying to become camoflauged with the background.

I liked the parking lot duty, there was a rotation to it, but sometimes I would extend my time into the next brothers'--what a sacrifice!

When I started working too many hours--and was unspiritual--I was relieved to be inneligible for mic duty, and I used to on occasion make faces at friends doing mics.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute
    I have an honest and sometimes expressive face

oh yea when you're doing mics, you have to be like those brittish guards... excuse my ignorance for not knowing their official title... you cannot smirk or make any kind of sarcastic face, not matter how tempting

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

and on the rare occasion when there is a sister with a low cut top and she is sat down and you are stood up with the microphone it can be very difficult not to look down into her cleavage - I swear to you all I am not making this up - it has happened to me and I was scared to death that I would get a boner and it would be obvious that is why I did my best not to look

• willyloman
    willyloman

We had one PO who insisted that the elders take a turn carrying the mics so they could see who had their Watchtowers underlined and who didn't. "Knowing the appearance of the flock" was his rationale.

• Poztate
    Poztate

I had the misfortune privilege to do the sound system and mics. I was kinda new back then and I honestly thought that everyone was equal....SO I always made sure that all the elders took a rotation for mic duty. I thought things were going really good and I enjoyed my job.

However only a month or so after that the PO decided that my "calling" was with the literature desk.They assured me privately that it was a promotion but I'm not so sure. Didn't EVER see an elder handle mics after that.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

"calling" was with the literature desk.They assured me privately that it was a promotion

That is how we viewed it - however, the OFFICIAL way of viewing it is the literature has more resposnibility - then it is the Hall Servant and of course the most responsible MS "position" is Accounts - always the money - always the dollars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit