what we used to call "privileges"

by in a new york bethel minute 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• Scully
    Scully
    it was always so hard to get brothers to do the mics. we had a list of brothers qualified to do it, but none of them seemed to want to.

OK... so what exactly are the Qualifications? for doing the mics at the KH?

1. Have legs in reasonable working order.
    2. Have minimum quota of Field Service Hours?.
    3. Have a penis.

If you want to know how to make some of these lazy Brothers? get off their butts and do microphone duty.... just offer the job to a Sister?. You'll have 27 volunteers in under 5 minutes.

Love, Scully

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    If you want to know how to make some of these lazy Brothers? get off their butts and do microphone duty.... just offer the job to a Sister?. You'll have 27 volunteers in under 5 minutes.

Love, Scully

Ya got spunk, gal. I like that in a sister.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    however, the OFFICIAL way of viewing it is the literature has more resposnibility

WOW Promoted so soon in my WT career. Who knows where I could be today if only I had stuck with it.

PO, CO, DO....Then on to bethel and a job cleaning toilets there Life could have been good.

Instead...Here I am talking to a bunch of POZTATES Thank You

• blondie
    blondie
    3. have a penis

My hubbie says that is the most important qualification, which he found sad. There were so many sisters with skills and desire to be used.

Once we saw the school overseer use an unbaptized boy to keep the time. As this 9 year old boy sat next to him, I was sad to think that an unbaptized 9 year old girl would never be allowed to do such a thing.

In the congregations around here there are so few brothers who qualifiy and show up to do the mikes that the elders are forced to do it. Some wanted to use sisters but the CO said no, that it would be an outward sign that the elders weren't able to "grow" their own qualified brothers.

Blondie

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

just offer the job to a Sister?.

In the congregations around here there are so few brothers who qualifiy and show up to do the mikes that the elders are forced to do it. Some wanted to use sisters but the CO said no, that it would be an outward sign that the elders weren't able to "grow" their own qualified brothers. Blondie

I am sure they did use sisters at one time - during world war 2 ? I may be wrong on this but I am sure I heard it somewhere

• keeshah
    keeshah

My mother used to "keep the books". If a brother had that responsiblity wouldn't he be the "account's servant"? (I think)

She got relieved of her "privileges" when it was found out that I had been df'd 1800 miles away. I don't know all the details, but my mother was always one of the gossipers. I think she was privately reproved (I hope they didn't put her thru public). One of her closest friends got df'd around the same time. If I had been deprogrammed at that time, I think I could have gotten her out. Now... 15 years later... forget it. She's more brainwashed than she ever was.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

There was a sister in the KH in Ohio that I grew up in who was basically the "accounts servant." That was when there was only one MS (my father) in the whole congregation. She did a really good job too. But even as a child, I remember the looks on the faces of the brothers as she would corner them for a signature or something. So condescending. She got relieved of duty when they finally got some more MS's in the congregation.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Wow ... maybe because it's too long ago and I don't remember that much but I've never at least seen it as a privilège, just eventually a usefull task like every other (inside and outside de KH) ... Well not really weird how they need to put a notion a priviligège on those things - (they truly work on pleoples head Pffffffffffffffffffff ...)

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I can never recall seeing an Elder waving a microphone around.

The impression that you got was that it was a role assigned to those being considered for Ministerial Servant.

However, the congregation that I was with in Christchurch, New Zealand during 1982-1983, used unbaptised boys exclusively. (The fact that their father was an Elder had, of course, no bearing on the matter!)

Meanwhile, those of us who were wanting to progress towards Ministerial Servant - but who were not part of that #$%&ing Inner Circle - sat on the sidelines.

Yeah - as the title of this post says - we did used to consider such things as "Privileges".

i

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Speaking of sisters doing those things - I know that in the earlier days - and I am not talking 'ancient history' here - like in the 50's or 60's even, many of the jobs had to be done by sisters. Some even conducted meetings, and offered congregational prayers.

This was a little before my time - but not much. By the time I got the 'truth' (read: the false), all those sisters who pulled the load were dropped like lead bricks. One sister remarked to me often in service of her 'responsibilities' in the hall she attended. She seemed hurt that no one knew of her contributions.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit