I hear this crap all the time!

by Schizm 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Schizm
    Schizm

The person that co-wrote Johnny Cash's song Ring Of Fire died just yesterday. His name is Merle Kilgore. Together, he and June Carter Cash come up with that song. Here's what a person who posts on the JC forum had to say:

We are losing them so fast.. But they are where the sun is always shining and their pain is no more..

Of course the person who posted that has reference to heaven as being the place where "the sun is always shining," and so Kilgore is supposedly in heaven now. The truth is, though, that the dead are still laying there in their underground graves, seeing no sunlight at all. I hear this kind of crap absolutely all the time! It's a major error. Christendom is the source for the false teaching that the soul is immortal. Knowing whether the soul is mortal or immortal is a "basic"-- the truth of which any religion professing to represent God in the world should have down pat. Christendom sucks! The WTS looks good when placed up beside her!

Merle Kilgore, 'Ring Of Fire' Co-Writer, Dies

POSTED: 9:15 am EST February 7, 2005

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Funeral arrangements are pending for the man who co-wrote "Ring of Fire."

Merle Kilgore's spokesman said Kilgore died Sunday night at age 70, from congestive heart failure and medical complications related to cancer treatments he'd received over the last few months.

He co-wrote "Ring of Fire" with June Carter, which became a hit in 1963 for Johnny Cash. Carter later became Cash's wife.

Wyatt Merle Kilgore began performing at the age of 14, but in the '60s quit performing to become the manager of Hank Williams Jr.
    The spokesman said Williams was informed of Kilgore's passing, but was unable to offer a statement Sunday night. Kilgore also worked with Hank Williams Sr. Kilgore has been named CMA Manager Of The Year, served on the CMA Board Of Directors, and had served as president of both the Nashville Songwriters Association International and the Nashville Songwriters Foundation.

He also became an Honorary State Senator in Tennessee, and was inducted into the Louisiana Hall of Fame.

• Pole
    Pole

Schizm,

Is the concept of immortal soul all that different from the concept of annointed Christians getting angel-like immortality the moment they die?

Pole

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Rest in Peace, Merle. Wherever you are......

Ring of Fire is simply a great great great song.......

Pope

• Will Power
    Will Power

Good point Pole

they teach the same thing but won't admit it

more likely tho, they don't even know it !!

then after the annointed go like you said then....

soul = person

JW is a person

JWs live forever

LOL

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Is the concept of immortal soul all that different from the contept of annointed Christians getting angel-like immortality the moment they die?

Yes, there's a world of difference. Christendom claims that we all have immortal souls, from the time we're conceived. The WTS says that's not true.

PS to Will Power: You're simply full of BS.

• bebu
    bebu
    Christendom claims that we all have immortal souls, from the time we're conceived. The WTS says that's not true.

Well, that line of logic holds water...

bebu

PS to Will Power: B udwei S er

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

That's one WT doctrine that still makes sense to me, and not just 'cause I'm an atheist. The immortal soul concept has problems like, 'When is it created and assigned to a human host?', 'Why isn't it listed among the creative works?', 'What is it doing while a person is in a coma?', and 'Why doesn't a person's personality stay intact [assuming it is soul-influenced] after an injury or sickness that damages the physical brain?'

On the other hand, the resurrection concept bugged me, too. When I'm resurrected, will it really be "me"? Granted, my body now is not the same set of cells that it was a decade ago. Those all died off and were replaced. But they were part of a process. Like putting replacement parts on a classic car. If you keep replacing parts, you might eventually replace it all. But the car remained intact the whole time. If you let the car deteriorate, finally fall apart and be melted down, it's gone. Building a new version exactly like the old one just isn't the same.

I think I had come to accept that the resurrection is really about everybody else, not me. Everybody else will see a person walking around that looks like me, sounds like me, has my memories. For them, I'm back. For me, I'm dead.

Dave

• Satanus
    Satanus

Wachoo trying to do, schizzy, sucking up to the atheists like that??

S

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Schizm
    I recommend a great book to read, Its the Riverworld series by Philip Jose Farmer. Sort of sci-fi/fantasy genre but its a great twist on the resurrection/soul recycling issue.

And no one has the definitive answer to this question, so you are just as entitled to your opinion as anybody.
    Maybe Merle knows the answer now, he just can't tell us. Just hope he didn't land in a burning ring of fire, is all...

Pope

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

uh I alway heard that song had to do with neither heaven or hell, but actually a womens vagina, and I am not trying to be crass....but I heard it had to do with passion for a women......read the lyrics to the song and actually this would make more sense than any religious overtones....

"I fell in to a burning ring of fire

I went down down down and the flames got higher

and it burns burns burns....."

Methinks that conclusion would make more sense than any possible celestial overtones....mebbe june had a little "problem" that kept the flames higher, or a burning sensation

Ring Of Fire"

Love is a burning thing
    and it makes a firery ring
    bound by wild desire
    I fell in to a ring of fire...

I fell in to a burning ring of fire
    I went down,down,down
    and the flames went higher.
    And it burns,burns,burns
    the ring of fire
    the ring of fire.

The taste of love is sweet