Where were you in 1975?

by dins 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

I was at the bomb shelter in Beth-Sarim.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I was in the small town of SPARTA, Illinois, going to my catholic church, never having even HEARD of Jehovah's Witnesses, though we did have a band director in school who said he didn't celebrate Christmas (He's now an Elder in th local Cong.) I do, however, distinctly remember hearing on the St Louis news channels something about a religious group that had been expecting the end of the world to occur, (this is like December '74, one of those, "In the Coming Year" type programs), and also in like late fall of '75 hearing how disappointed some where that this never happened. Did it make anyone elses local news? National?

Yeru

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

riding a bicycle and hearing about the end of the world.....

yes in THAT day.. you will surely...
    DIE

• rem
    rem

I was pioneering with my mom for the first few months of 1975. I was not yet born, but it still counts, right? I was born 11 months into the year (am I the youngest 1975'er here?). :)

I had heard about 1975 when I was very young. I remember my mom saying that the other women were giving her a hard time for having a baby so close to the time of the end.

I think I always knew there was something wrong with the whole 1975 ordeal, but I never really knew what and how much was said until I looked it up a couple years ago.

My mom still thinks it was a great year. I'd have to agree! ;)

rem

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so."
    ..........Bertrand Russell

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I was still a fetus, so not much help on this post!

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Like an earlier poster, I was a fifteen-year-old high school sophomore, and under a great deal of pressure to be baptized before the end came. Fortunately, I resisted, making me the only one of my generation who's NOT disfellowshipped. Smartest thing I ever did.

I remember well the wind-up to the fall of 1975...it had me a bit unnerved, since I was already convinced I was so bad I'd never make it through Armageddon. However, by February of 1976, I had my driver's license...and promptly eased my way out of the organization by joining the basketball team and the drama club (such a little rebel!).

I do recall one family that sold their home and went "where the need was greater" because they wouldn't need the house after 1975. What a waste!

Jankyn, de-cloaking

• Prisca
    Prisca

Fred and I shared some very special moments in that bomb shelter at Beth-Sarim, didn't we Fred?

• logical
    logical

I wasnt even alive in 1975.

• blondie
    blondie

I was in my 20's in 1975 and had since 1966 maintained that it could not come in 1975 because everyone thought it was coming in 1975...because the Bible said:

Matthew 24:44
    On this account YOU too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming.

Even in my early teens, I recognized that Jesus, being Jehovah's helper in creation, would know exactly when Eve was created and when the sixth creative day ended. Thus over 4,000 years later when on earth, Jesus would not have said:

Matthew 24:36
    "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father."

My reasoning stopped them dead from trying to pressure me but it didn't stop them from continuing to believe.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I was listening to Fred Franz give his Gilead class lecture at the LaMerc Assembly hall in Queens, NY where all the Masonic logos are? were?

Franz was hyping up how we don't know the exact time of the Great Tribulation because of not knowing how long it was between Adam's creation and Eve's creation, which MAKES A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE!! lol

Famous sound clips from Watchtower history:
    http://www.watchtowernews.org/wav/wav.htm

What Happened in 1980 at Bethel
    http://www.freeminds.org/history/whathapp.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit