Where were you in 1975?

by dins 39 Replies latest jw friends

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi-

I was living in Louisiana and going to the East Metairie Congregation with my mother I think. I believe my mother had just gotten baptized some time in 1974 and my father was starting to study.

I was about 7 years old and I can remember my parents telling me that I would never have to live as a grown up in this old wicked system. They told me that I would never make it to high school, get married, or have to raise a family in this wicked world.

When I got older, my parents and other JWs told me that the Society never said anything about 1975 but that certain ones in the organization got too excited about the date and read more into the Society's comments on 1975 than what was actually there. Of course, if this is the case, why did the Society write a half-hearted apology over the 1975 issue in the 1980's if I am not mistaken.

In any case, the Society's propaganda machine went into action not long after the 1975 debacle and most dubs today are in permanent denial over the event especially the ones who lived through it and are still loyal JWs.

Jeff S.

• crossroads
    crossroads

As I waved good-bye to all my pot smoking, long-haired
    hippie friends(I think we were really the last class for that) going off to college. I started begging and begging for the end to come, as I worked like a dog in a steel mill.
    Funny my prayers were not answered---------------
    I really don't know how I'm going to pay my rent at the end
    of the month either. I sure hope the end gets here in the
    next to weeks. Ah but I got this feelin' it ain't happenin'.

• MuzicmanCa
    MuzicmanCa

1975....I was still in New York City, but what would I know, I was still breastfeeding...

Muzicman

• circe
    circe

I was 8 years old in 1975.

I do remember my aunt and uncle getting divorced because my aunt had become "an apostate". Seems that she was disillusioned by being lied to yet again by the WTS.

circe

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

I was 4 years old; 4 or 5 years later, my Mom would become a JW (not sure of the exact chronology), and the rest is history (an unfortunate one)...

SpiderMonkey

• Jewel
    Jewel

I was a sophomore in high school in 1975. I didn't preach to my classmates much-things were bad enough there already!

By December of 1975 I was...relieved. I never thought that I was secretly loyal enough to (at least by that time) be saved through Armageddon and I was glad it hadn't happened (though not surprised.) I was ANGRY later when we started getting the excuses two-step at meetings.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

In 1975 I was not just Regular Pioneering but serving where the WTS need was greater. This torture took place in a God forsaken UK inner city whose inhabitants viewed showering as a yearly option. It was grim and so was I.

Most of my evenings when I was not nagging the local congregation with endless exhortations to use their lives wisely...lol, I would escape to a recording studio or wrestle with my guitar to maintain my sanity. The congregation was made up stocky third generation escapees from the lower working classes, who viewed me as some sort of eccentric crack-pot with a lonely cause and seemed to spend most of the time tempting me to drunkness in the local Pub.

It worked. What was interesting is that after a few beers my normally clipped Oxford accent began to resemble the local Cockney lingo and I suddenly found that I had lots of friends....at least for the night...lol 'Nees-Up-Muva-Brown" - You see, I can still do it.

HS

• Farkel
    Farkel

Here's an excerpt from my story. I was a 18 years old in 1966 when the Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God With Liberty and Justice For all Except Dubs book came out, so I remember those nine years of frenzy very vividly..

The Fervor Over 1975

If anyone reading this was not in the Organization in the late 60's and early 70's, and has been told that most Brothers and Sisters at that time were over-zealous and speculative about what was to happen in 1975, don't believe it. I was there through it all.

When such new and unprecedented directives were given to the publishers about such things as a set length of six months for conducting Bible studies, which afterwards we must "cut off" the would-be sheep if they had not yet decided to get baptised, what else were we to think? The "end" must be at hand, just around the corner, must it not? The Society was doing everything in its power to convince us that THIS time, for SURE, Armageddon was just around the corner.

When such statements as "this involves a matter of weeks" and "just think Brothers, only 90 are months left before.", were published, what else were we to think?

When the Kingdom Ministry relates the reports of brothers and sisters selling everything they owned to pioneer, and then states something like, "certainlythis is a fine thing to do in the remaining short.", what else were we to think. Jehovah was directing his Organization thorough His Holy Spirit, was he not?

A young brother I knew and who was only 25 at the time, told the Elders in our Congregation that he would soon lose his teeth if he did not get them fixed very quickly. He preferred to let Jehovah fix them since the New Order was so close. Well, what did the Elders say? Did they ask him to use restraint, to use caution, to not put too much emphasis on 1975? No, they did not. What else were we to think?

When graphs are published which outlines each millennium, and puts the beginning of the 7 th millennium right smack in the fall of 1975, what else were we to think?

When, at every corner in the literature, we see the words "trustworthy", and "reliable" Bible chronology regarding the year 1975, what else were we to think?

When we see great influxes of new Witnesses joining the flock, in apparent fulfillment of Bible prophecy in the years just preceding 1975, what else were we to think?

When we knew full and well that the joyous excitement among the brothers and sisters regarding 1975 would of COURSE filter it's way back to the Governing Body, and yet we saw no hard evidence of the Society "putting the breaks" on our expectations, what else were we to think?

No, gentle reader, we witnesses at that time were not out-of-control, wildly speculating and jumping to conclusions on our own. We acted in accordance with what was fed to us. We were cleverly seduced by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society and acted in accordance with that seduction. We were seduced in a manner similar to the way Eve was seduced by Satan in the Garden of Eden. That is as fitting an analogy as I can come up with.

Fortunately, I did not stick around long enough to see it when several years later the WTBS turned around and betrayed their own brothers by accusing THEM of jumping to conclusions, by saying such hypocritical things as "No, we did not say that".

Contrary to what is now taught, most of us were very sincere about trying to glean from the Society's publications what 1975 was to be all about. We eagerly awaited every magazine, and poured over every single word, and honestly did not try to "make more" out of what was written than what was actually written.

Farkel

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I was 11 years old in 1975, I vaugely recall hearing something on the news about a Doomsday Religion being disappointed. Does anyone else recall mention in the media over the fiasco?

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

just a twinkle in my parent's eyes--born in 1978.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit