Hotel Tipping at Assembly Time

by jeanniebeanz 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Schizm
    Schizm
    I would not doubt that the JWs do this. Unfortunatley; I do not think some of them know any better.

Exactly! I remember a time in my past when I myself was ignorant of the need to tip (dummy me). I actually didn't know that certain types of employment depended on tips for their livelihood. The fact that some people just don't know any better highlights the point that a waiter's wage ought to be built into the price specified on the menu. Even if it was built in, I think that quite a few people would willingly pay even more for their meal, in the form of a "tip" when the service is good.

• minimus
    minimus

People that won't tip---SUCK. Those that are cheap tippers suck too.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Oh yes, I've heard those stories. But lately, as the assembly time nears they even talk about how we should always tip and have gone as far as saying the amounts we should tip.

So, things have improved in that respect. However, they'll always be the cheapskates just like in any other group.

My relatives and I always make sure to tip correctly and daily when we stay at hotels. It's hard work those maids do.

DY

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**I remember a time in my past when I myself was ignorant of the need to tip (dummy me).

Some of us weren't used to going to hotels or fancy restaurants where tipping was expected. I'd have to imagine that many JWs fit this category.

**I actually didn't know that certain types of employment depended on tips for their livelihood.

Nor did I. People had their own individual jobs to make an establishment run smoothly. Actually I never gave it much thought, but I'd just kind of figured that they all got paid for what they did---at a pay rate they were happy with.

Not everyone is born with knowing how these things operate! :o)

Annie

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Out of curiosity, how does the tipping culture in Europe compare to that in the US?

We do tip, but not as generously as the US.

Minimum wages in the UK are now around £5 per hour, that's about $9.50. I'm told that US workers rely on tips to supplement their income more than UK'ers.

I did however know this when I went to Florida and made sure that I tipped most handsomely!

Englishman.

• Schizm
    Schizm

Annie,

Not everyone is born with knowing how these things operate! :o)

It appears that you and I might possibly have a similar background. *LOL* My father (who never was a JW) had to work hard for a living, and I remember there being only one time while I was growing up that we ate out (back in the late '40s). It was at a cafe in a bus stop in Amarillo, is all I can remember. I don't recall my Dad leaving any money on the table, and I doubt that he even realized the need for doing so (I'm not even sure if it was the same for waiters back then as it is for them now). Although I'm not particularly proud of it in some respects, that's my heritage.

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser
    In Europe the service sucks

I have never found this to be true. I recieved good service at every place I have been to. Most of the countries I have been to automaticly figure up a percentage for the tip and it is added to your bill. You just have to check what the local custom is for tipping.

Heatmiser

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I don't recall my Dad leaving any money on the table, and I doubt that he even realized the need for doing so (I'm not even sure if it was the same for waiters back then as it is for them now). Although I'm not particularly proud of it in some respects, that's my heritage.

Schism,

We seldom went out to restaurants, and I don't recall whether my Dad left a tip or not. Waaay too long ago! When you said "back then", I don't know how old you are-but MY "back then" was most likely before YOUR "back then" (grin) but I hear what you're saying.

We only went to one hotel when I was at home and I don't remember what he did or didn't leave for tips. Personally I didn't know that people other than waiters expected to be tipped, so you see where *I* stood on all this!

Don't knock your heritage, it's part of what makes you-YOU! How many of us WERE born into royalty anyway!

Annie.........from the New England "Lace Curtain Irish" category

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit