Hotel Tipping at Assembly Time

by jeanniebeanz 27 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Does anyone remember any stories related to hotels not wanting to do business with the witnesses anymore because the witnesses were leaving literature in their rooms rather than tipping maid service?

J

• freedom96
    freedom96

What a pathetic way to leave a tip.

I think a lot of hotels didn't want to cater to the witnesses because they actually do not make good guests. Many are selfish, and just plain piggish.

• Poztate
    Poztate

I know my wife would always leave the mags in every motel room.

I would always leave a tip...hopefully the one would compensate for the other...

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Oh yeah, THAT's a good witness. I'd sure jump onboard a religion that bred preachy cheapskates. Sign me up.

(We always tipped well, since we 'bore Jehovah's name'. When we weren't bearing Jehovah's name we tipped reasonably well, but always at the assemblies.)

Dave

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 5/97 p. 5 1997 "Faith in God?s Word" District Convention ***

Keep in mind that tipping is appropriate when you receive a personal service, especially since many who serve the public, such as waiters, waitresses, maids, and bellmen, are dependent to a large extent on tips to make a living. As Jehovah?s Witnesses, we want to show good manners in this regard too.?See Awake! of June 22, 1986, pages 24-7.

km 5/91 p. 4 Arrange Now to Attend the 1991 "Lovers of Freedom" District Convention ***

While we may be concerned with saving money, we should not knowingly neglect those who expect tips for services rendered. The articles "To Tip?Or Not" and "Tips on Tipping" on pages 24-7 of the June 22, 1986, issue of Awake! still deserve our attention. It was pointed out on page 24: "Tipping is more than a thank-you for extra service rendered. It is the principal part of a person?s income." Awake! also pointed out that when "attending a convention, what you do personally reflects on the whole group. People will judge the group by your behavior." So regardless of your personal views about tipping, when you visit a city as a delegate to a convention of Jehovah?s Witnesses, use good judgment and discernment, and be ready to "do all things for the sake of the good news."?1 Cor. 9:19-23.

km 5/81 pp. 4-5 1981 "Kingdom Loyalty" District Conventions ***

The insert in the May 1980 issue of Our Kingdom Service provided good direction on the matter of tipping. It is not against Christian principles to express appreciation in this way for personal services rendered by others. (Luke 10:7) Although this is a personal matter, to neglect doing so where it is expected may cast unfavorable reflections upon Jehovah?s people. To illustrate: The manager of a motel who cooperated with the convention personnel and arranged for many of our brothers and sisters to stay in his facility expressed concern over a problem that developed. The waitresses in his employ had told him that they did not want to wait on Jehovah?s Witnesses as they left no tips. On one occasion, a party of Jehovah?s Witnesses arrived just before the restaurant was to close. Arrangements were made for this group to sit together and be served, despite the fact that the workers had to stay after closing time to do so. It was reported that the only tip left was a copy of a pocket-size book that was released earlier that week at the convention. While so-called fast-food eating establishments do not provide waiter service and no tipping is involved, in restaurants where such service is provided it is left to the brothers to consider leaving a tip where this is the local custom.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I never heard that myself, but I still tip and didn't know before the WT suggestions that I should.

Just another benefit from being in a Cult!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I remember more than one 'special needs' talk running up to the assemblies where we were reminded not to leave literature in the room, and to tip. There was a lot of grumbling in the congregation about it since tipping was not the norm for this group.

One year, we lost many of the best hotels for the Cow Palace assembly because the hotel's employees complained and threatened to 'get sick' that weekend.

J

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Is "Hotel Tipping" anything like cow tipping? 'Caushe, if you get enough liquor in me I'm up for thoshe kinda shenanang... shannanigans <hic!>

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

old soul you are too funny!
    I remember the articles about tipping, but still knew a lot of the witnesses that didn't tip well or even at all. An excuse was we cannot really afford it...blah blah blah. Well, my mother taught me that if you cannot afford to leave a decent tip, then you can not afford to eat out. If the cheapskates would order tap water with their meals instead of soda or beer, then maybe they could find the money to tip.

I even tip the people at Sonic that bring the food out to the car.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

For goodness sake...does the borg need to control or suggest what its members do in every circumstance...we range from the extremities of oral sex between consenting (married adults) and tipping in a hotel????!!!!!

If you are happy with the service you receive then you tip dont you? if not then you dont? Simple...why waste a tree to print guidance on it!!!!???

Makes me mad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit