Hotel Tipping at Assembly Time

by jeanniebeanz 27 Replies latest jw friends

• alias
    alias

Tipping waitresses and other tip-dependant personnel with a religious tract is just plain tacky.

And I knew people who did this on a regular basis.

"What could be more valuable than life-saving information!"

Yeah, they were the same people who kept their service time going by sticking a Watchtower in their windshield while driving. What kooky reasoning they had. But you'd be in agreement out of ignorance. That's what being raised from infancy does.

I could *never* think like that again.

alias

• Schizm
    Schizm
    The articles "To Tip—Or Not" and "Tips on Tipping" on pages 24-7 of the June 22, 1986, issue of Awake! still deserve our attention. It was pointed out on page 24: "Tipping is more than a thank-you for extra service rendered. It is the principal part of a person’s income."

Personally, I think that those who employ people and then leave them at the mercy of the public in order to collect their wages should all be put in jail. The price on the menu should be what the meal costs. The waiters and waitresses should be paid for the work they do by their employer, not by those who order the food. Yes, because of the sad way that things are done, a person ought to tip. Otherwise, someone else is going to have to do it for you if the one serving you food is to receive his or her income.

Restuarant owners can kiss my ass!

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    Schizm: The waiters and waitresses should be paid for the work they do by their employer, not by those who order the food.

Ever notice the difference in service between Europe and America? In Europe the service sucks (although the food is better!).

This is directly related to the tipping culture in the US (Europe generally doesn't). As a waiter in a previous life, I made big money when I was good, and expected to receive my pay that way. No restuarant is going to pay a living wage, but you can make a killing with tips.

By the way, (and this is generally accurate, ask any waiter/waitress) the people who don't tip are:

African Americans, single women and...

Jehovah's Witnesses

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

I always made plenty of money waiting tables, but that was because I knew the money was going to come from the customer's tips, and treated them accordingly. And I've been blessed with the ability to be pleasant to almost anyone--and to know when to leave 'em alone.

However, I do agree that relying on tips for income makes life unstable. And I've always found that anyone will tip if you do a good job. Any "group" generalization is usually faulty, and those that buy into it will often screw themselves out of a tip by failing to treat the customer well. Particularly minorities and people who are often overlooked--if you give them excellent, respectful service, they tend to tip very well because it's such a change from how they are usually treated.

Jankyn, who got lots of tips from African Americans and single women, but rarely from JWs (unless you count the magazines, which I didn't)

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    Jankyn: Particularly minorities and people who are often overlooked--if you give them excellent, respectful service, they tend to tip very well because it's such a change from how they are usually treated.

Good point.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

>This is directly related to the tipping culture in the US (Europe generally doesn't).

That is not exactly true. Europe has a tipping culture, too, but not to this extend.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Out of curiosity, how does the tipping culture in Europe compare to that in the US?

Jean

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

GXJW: Yes, I should say tipping in restaurants. I remember my first travels and the social panic not knowing whether/how much to tip in pubs/restuarants/hotels etc.

Here's an informal guide for Europe: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/eurotips.htm

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

** Personally, I think that those who employ people and then leave them

at the mercy of the public in order to collect their wages should all be put in jail. The price on the menu should be what the meal costs. The waiters and waitresses should be paid for the work they do by their employer, not by those who order the food. Yes, because of the sad way that things are done, a person ought to tip. Otherwise, someone else is going to have to do it for you if the one serving you food is to receive his or her income.

===============================================

At the risk of upsetting some folks here about this tipping business, I pretty much agree with Schism's post.

When in the WTS I had five kids I had to get ready for assemblies, (new clothes etc) and have to save enough money for travel, food. and hotel expenses. I simply didn't HAVE "extra" money for tipping waiters/waitresses, maids, doormen, bellhops or any other person who crossed my path!

When we'd go out to eat at home, we went when WE could afford it. Hubby always left a tip. But we had *planned* the outing when WE had the $$$.

When we went out to eat at assemblies and DCs, it was when the WTS had scheduled us to BE there---along with ALL the other costs that I had to cover during our "stay". Who of us with large families and no JW mate that came with us, EVER had an unlimited fund to draw from for an assembly?

I used to dread it when the DC locale was announced every year---when it was being held out of state (or out of the country) my heart would sink. It was always a struggle just to GET there, never mind figuring in money for endless tips!

I don't begrudge most people getting tips per se, ( although keeping in mind Schism's comments) but I resented the fact that the WTS just "assumed" that every one of us could just "pick up and go" when and where it was convenient for THEM!

I think it was in '80 that we didn't go to the DC. Hubby had been laid off and we just didn't have the money to have the kids and I go out of state. I wouldn't have had the guts to take any $$$ out to finance a trip if we HAD it, under the circumstances.

(sorry I got off track here)

Annie

• franklin J
    franklin J

I would not doubt that the JWs do this. Unfortunatley; I do not think some of them know any better.

My father ALWAYS tipped for any service we recieved at hotels; assemblies or not. It is expected. And those educated enough to travel KNOW THIS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit