Don't you agree?

by NinjaBen 16 Replies latest jw friends

• NinjaBen
    NinjaBen

I find it weird that the jehovah witnesses disrespect other relegions by calling their's the "Truth". By saying this aren't the WT's saying that there is no other answer and all other relegions are wrong. I also think it is disrespectfull the way they call house holders "prospects".

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Yes, that is exactly what they are saying, and not by implication either. They say it straight out.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Ben,
    As Yerusalyim has said, that is exactly what JWs say.

The Borg has a long history of this 'holier than thou' speak. Light (Book One) states on page 299: "Only those who have an understanding will appreciate the meaning of this scripture. Since the Lord has come to his temple, the time is due to understand. Those of the temple being illuminated by the Lord do understand what constitutes "the number of the beast". etc"

It has ever been thus.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"You can know the law by heart, without knowing the heart of it"
    Philip Yancey, What's So Amazing About Grace?

• NinjaBen
    NinjaBen

I have also noticed that when talking to a WT when I ask them a question they either "answer" it with a question or very smoothley move to a different topic.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

NinjaBen,

As a former JW, I can (as others on this board can) testify that we are TAUGHT to answer questions as you described. I know from personal experience the more you can confuse a householder (prospect) the better you are esteemed in the congregation. I was very young when I left the WTS (19) and before that, I was considered to be one of the strongest pioneers on the way to "success". Why? Because through having a slick tongue I could confuse a householder to the point that it was just easier for him to believe than to try and argue or prove me wrong. Before long they really DID believe what I had to say was true. Sad but true. Anybody else out there agree???

Billygoat

• NinjaBen
    NinjaBen

I thank everybody that replied for their insights on this topic and I hope to get more replys soon.

• mustang
    mustang

I pioneered also.

I remember extensive emphasis (from Service Meeting parts) on OVERCOMING OBJECTIONS. In some cases, the objection would be met 'head-on' and addressed directly. In other cases, a couple of slick sentences of diversion were in order.

Many had the 'Make Sure of All Things' (the dictionary of responses current back then) bound into their Bibles. This allowed a quick response that looked like it came from the Bible. A Dub bookbinder specialized in this.

Other sessions dealt with the diversion or deflection tactics, such as the 'counter-question'. It was all very subtle, but it was practiced and presented to the listening congregation.

In the later days, as I was drifting away, my father pulled all of these things on me. The bonus with family members is that you can use the 'guilt-trip' freely and extensively. (Talented dubs often mamaged some form of the 'guilt-trip' even in initial door-door activity, though.)

I realized that I was not a son to him, but just a 'preaching machine'. If I got out of line, I was an 'objection to be overcome'.

Mustang

PS. Welcome to the board.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Jehovah's Witnesses have a book -Reasoning From The Scriptures- that they use. JWs are taught to avoid an argument by not answering questions directly. They use this book that has prepared statements and questions to avoid arguments. At the door, they are not supposed to defend their beliefs, but rather sell you on their beliefs. I agree, it is insulting that they refer to their religion as the truth.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• mustang
    mustang

Yes, Jayhawk,

Reasoning From the Scriptures is the successor to the old 'Make Sure'.
    (Showing my age.) I couldn't remember its title, even though my Dad gave me one when I asked for it, many inactive years later.

The 'reasoning' process is supposed to defuse a heated discussion by subtle manipulation. And yes, this failure to directly address a subject can be very irritating on the receiving end.

Mustang

• silver252525
    silver252525

And what do you guys think about Jesus...did he not expose the religious leaders for their falsehood and hypocrisy???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit