Does Jehovah accept human sacrafice or not?

by gumby 87 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gumby
    gumby

Here's good bedtime story for the little ones!

Remember Jeptha and his beautiful daughter that was his only child?

Just to set the theme: The Ammonites took over Israels land while they were in bondage in Egypt. Now they are fighting. Since Jepthas mom was a whore, his two brothers kicked his arse out of the camp. Now the brothers want Jeptha to help them fight, so they look him up.

Jeptha makes a promise to Jehovah that if Jehovah will give him victory over the Ammonites, he'll sacrfafice to Jehovah.....get this....."the first thing that comes out of his house". Did he mean perhaps his puppy or a kitty cat? He surely could not have meant a human he would sacrafice if it came out of the house could he? Sacrafice a human to god?

"... Thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God..." -- Leviticus 18:21

Here's what Jeptha prayed to god for:

"... If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands, Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering" -- Judges 11:30-31

[The terms were acceptable to god] God GAVE Jeptha the victory. Then....who comes out of the house first after the victory? Why his daughter of course! Jeptha lovingly grants his daughter her request to go grieve with her girlfriends in the moutains for 2 months that she will never have sex with a guy in her life. She ain't bothered at all about dad sacraficing her when she returns.......just that she ain't ever gettin any.

Respectfully to Jehovah,....and with no rebuttle from Jehovah, Jeptha sacrafices her. This brought a happy smile to gods face for Jepthas loyalty.

May all living things praise our great and merciful god Jehovah!!!!!

Gumby

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Apparently, if God is blessing the WBTS as much as they say, human sacrifice is still acceptable, especially of one's children... it's just been slightly modified, if you know what I mean...

--Merry

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I don't know about your specific question (from details) but what calls me here is :

The Ammonites took over Israels land while they were in bondage in Egypt. Now they are fighting. Since Jepthas mom was a whore, his two brothers kicked his arse out of the camp. Now the brothers want Jeptha to help them fight, so they look him up.

first of he is not his mother ... and well his bros didn't deserve help in anyway from him (pffffffffffffffffff) but I'm not christian of course so ... my views can be a little different !

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

Hey - doesn't that contradict the Law... Deut 23:2 "A bastard shall not enter into the assembly of Jehovah; even to the tenth generation shall none of his enter into the assembly of Jehovah". If his mom was a whore, wouldn't he have been conceived as a bastard?

Anyhoo, back to sacrifice. I looked this up on Google way-back-when, and was surprised that concensus is that it was human sacrifice - I guess she didn't land up serving in Bethel her whole life

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Gumby,

It's no secret that the Israelites practiced human sacrifice during biblical times. See 2 Kings 16:3 In Gen. 22, it seems to me, the story of Abraham and Isaac is given as an argument against or an alternate to human sacrifice, namely, animal sacrifice. That, however, is not to say that human sacrifice was ever approved by God or His Law. See Deut. 12:31; 18:10 . Also, the prophets were constantly railing against it. See Jer. 7:31; Micah 6:6-7; Ps. 106:37

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Does Jehovah accept human sacrafice or not?

Of course it does... Jehover set things up so that its son would be tortured to death.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> I guess she didn't land up serving in Bethel her whole life

Lucky kid. Some people actually do.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Jephta's daughter is one of the things that let me "stumble"

According to the WTBS after these 2 months, she went into a monestery (which is hardly the same as a burnt offering)

But, I hever never read :

Now they are fighting. Since Jepthas mom was a whore, his two brothers kicked his arse out of the camp. Now the brothers want Jeptha to help them fight, so they look him up.

Care to give me the verses ?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think critical opinion is split down the middle on whether the text portrays Jephthah as performing human sacrifice. The term 'lh in Judges 11:30, 39 is the same word as in Leviticus 1 and according to Mark Smith is "semantically equivalent with Ugaritic srp (KTU 1.105.9, 15; 1.106.2; 1.109); both denoting an offering entirely consumed by fire. The 'olah sacrifice belonged not only to the cult of Yahweh in Jerusalem and elsewhere but also to the cult of Baal in Samaria (2 Kings 10:24; cf. 'lt in KAI 159:8)" (p. 2). On the other hand, the narrative as a whole mentions the mourning of Jephthah's daughter's continued virginity and not her death, and the "vow" of v. 39 is consistent with Leviticus 27:21, 28 regarding the handing over of people to Yahweh to become servants of the priests and the very similar vow of Hannah in 1 Samuel 1-2 which involved consecration of her son to Yahweh. The reference in v. 39 of Jephthah's daughter becoming a "no-knower of man" certainly implies that she would become celibate. On the other hand, there is also a parallel with 1 Samuel 14 which involves another rash vow, this time with Saul's son who was vowed to die but who was saved by the sacrifice of a subsitute animal. It is quite possible that the original story involved the sacrifice of Jephthah's daughter and then it was later revised into its present version which still leaves the original suggestion of sacrifice intact (as well as the mourning, which is appropriate for mourning death) but takes pains to indicate that she was only consecrated to celibacy to Yahweh.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa
    On the other hand, the narrative as a whole mentions the mourning of Jephthah's daughter's continued virginity and not her death, and the "vow" of v. 39 is consistent with Leviticus 27:21, 28 regarding the handing over of people to Yahweh to become servants of the priests and the very similar vow of Hannah in 1 Samuel 1-2 which involved consecration of her son to Yahweh.

OK, but, how about the point I raised a couple of posts ago. According to the Mosiac Law, a bastard and his offspring to the tenth generation couldn't be apart of the assembly of Jehovah. SO, how would Jephthah's daughter be acceptable to be a priest's servant at the temple?????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit