"Train up a boy according to the way for him... (proof against the Dubs)!

by upside/down 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Don Smith
    Don Smith

This again is a typical WT example of bait and switch. When we went from door to door we would suggest a bible study if they showed interest. And guess what, they would end up with a BOOK study with WT spin.

Even the JW ? are you in the truth is a misnomer.The correct answer to both Proverbs 22;6 is found in the word "WAY"and the word "TRUTH" When Jesus responded to Thomas ? show us the way with the words. IAM the WAY the TRUTH and the LIGHT and NO ONE comes to the FATHER except THROUGH ME.period.The WT has always used these 3 word to focus on the ORGANIZATION,eg where did you learn the truth. The bible tells us the holy spirit will lead us in the way of all the truth and will not lie

Don Smith

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

That 70% figure does seem pretty accurate though. Of all the young people I grew up with in my dad's congregation (my divorced JW parents lived in different towns) I can't think of any that stayed with the org, including myself. That being said the JW's have claimed to have a 30% recovery rate for DF'd and DA'd members, not to mention the ones that fade away and come back. I wouldn't be surprised if a personal tragedy, a crisis of conscience, or even a bad acid trip might send a lot of them back.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I think this verse better states the truth of it

you traverse sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hell as yourselves

• vitty
    vitty

I call it "blame the parents " time or Your no better than cain or esau talk

Even Jehovah had a rebellious son, if he cant do it, no one can

Which reminds me, if your an elder and your kids go wrong, your asked to step down.

Jehovah lost quite a few if I remember correctly, but hes still in the big chair.

Sounds like a PO I know

• upside/down
    upside/down

v- great point! I never looked at it that way.

Once again the Dubs can't even live up to their own standards.

Here's a dilemma: My parents raised me good (non-Dub) and yet I became a Dub.

Most Dub kids are raised Dub and NEVER really become a Dub. This is the exact OPPOSITE of everything they preach about the importance of being indoctrinated "brought up in the discipline and mental regulating of J".

How is this possible?

u/d

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

When a child becomes an adult they're no longer serving God to make their parents happy. They have to accept their religion on their own terms. For some people, like my wife who was raised a pennicostal, that means accepting some standards (she attends church regularly, doesn't smoke, swear, or cut her hair) and rejecting others (She drinks, wears pants, and watches TV). For a Jehovah's Witness it means either you continue to follow ALL of the rules or you're cut off. No matter how well your raise your kids there's no way you can force them to pick the "right" side of a black and white issue like that. My wife could smoke crack and sell her ass and her congregation would still consider her a member. JW's will kick you out for trying marijuana or banging your steady girlfriend. Hell, my wife's church still considers me a member and I haven't spoken in tounges, been baptized, or even shown up for 2 years.

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

"Train up a boy according to the way for him; even when he grows old he will not turn aside from it."

This thread got me thinking. Could it be possible that the way this is worded may back up what child psychologists believe now? Let me explain. In or around the late 70's the thought became popular that parents needed to treat each child differently than the others in terms of how to train them. It was said that one way of reacting/disciplining children may not work for all of them. That what works for one may not work for another. People were encouraged to treat each child as a person, which many forget to do, and find out what works for them. Could this be what was meant in this scripture?

• upside/down
    upside/down

It used to be old fashioned good parenting...

Now we need a team of "experts" to tell us how raise kids (for a price of course $$)... And just like the Dubs "one size fits all" mentality it all FAILS!

Whatever happened to common sense? At one time it was common. Maybe we should start a new phrase "un-common sense". Hmmm I'm no genius and I've raise three wonderful little humans and it wasn't THAT hard.

u/d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit