Could a Coup Reform the Watchtower?

by metatron 28 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

It's interesting to speculate about the fact that legal authority may have been removed from the Governing Body

with the intent of protecting them from appearing in court. When they announced that the organization was to be led

by 9 or more different corporations, a long term Bethelite told me about how they cringed at the thought of some of those

old men forced on to a witness stand in court.

The Watchtower depends upon a superstitious fear of opposing "God's Annointed". However, you have to wonder about the

hidden progress of 'apostasy' within the organization. I tend to agree that many long time Bethelites probably are familiar

with Ray Franz's books - as well as the day to day insults to one's intelligence that pass for 'spiritual food' in the organization,

presently. I continue to think that, as with the Soviet Union, the 'rot' in this authoritarian cult likely infects its leadership

more than the common ( eagerly ignorant) masses.

The organization can't be effectively administrated without somebody (s) deliberating over what deception should be fashioned

to conceal the real truth. Some committee has to invent thoughts like 'the Awake is going monthly to emphasize the Bible'

or ' let's dump food service at assemblies and call it unity with our brothers in other nations'. Eventually, this must get corrosive.

Corrosive too, is a sense that any doctrine is malleable - new truth today,maybe old "truth' tomorrow.

Add to this various admissions in the publications and it becomes obvious that someone in the Society still has a working

brain - they fear being 'assimilated' ( YRBK '04) or being viewed as 'mainstream' ( Feb WT). What made you think that, brother?

I can assure you that, people do get 'stuck' in the Society! Just because you've been in Bethel for decades, doesn't mean

you still believe all of it - or even any of it. But what are going to do if you leave? Say good bye to your position? your

"friends" in the "truth"? Your relatives? You don't want to end up like Ed Dunlap, do you? Some of you may have had the

experience of seeing this first hand - after a few drinks ( in vino, veritas) with an old-timer at headquarters. How else do

think some brothers concealed their homosexuality for decades in Bethel?

The danger is, that some event or mistake could suddenly cause these hidden doubts and disbeliefs to surface all at

once - not unlike pulling back the curtain in the Wizard of Oz. They can't afford another Ray Franz to emerge - no, not

with the internet in existence! One well paced defector could bring the whole sorry edifice crashing down, with their lawyers

weeping and gnashing their teeth over exposed liabilities. Take notice of the fact that talks given at district assemblies

are carefully monitored, word for word, by brothers appointed by Bethel as monitors. You gotta wonder if some of this

downsizing is also motivated by fears within the leadership who might want to reduce a 'leaky' headcount.

Alternatively, it could simply be a matter of reminding the GB who signs the checks. That's a lot more peaceful

than pushing someone down the stairs or having a kangaroo Judicial Committee DF some stubborn old coot over a weekend.

In any case, I doubt that their continuing diet of platitudes, manifest in their publications , can sustain their facade of unity indefinitely.

That ambiguity tells you that things aren't what they appear to be.

metatron

• willyloman
    willyloman

Dude, that is so profound.

• Gill
    Gill

The house of cards will fall sooner or later.

It will only take a good gust of wind to blow it down.

The internet is beginning to blow a gently breeze and will steadily build up to a gale.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I THINK THAT THIS OR SOMETHING CLOSE TO THIS WILL HAPPEN.

WHEN ONE MIXES A RELIGION WITH A BUSINESS CORPORATION AND THROWS IN A GROUP OF LAWYERS,

YOU END UP WITH AT LEAST THREE CONFLICTING GROUPS WHO HAVE DIFFERENT OUTLOOKS ON WHAT IS NEEDED TO SURVIVE.

THEN ADD IN THE INDIVIDUALS OR GROUPS OF THOSE CAUGHT IN THE "WHAT WILL I DO IF THEY KICK ME OUT" WHO MAY BE VERY ANGRY AT BEING TRAPPED IN SOMETHING THEY NO LONGER AGREE WITH.

THERE HAS TO BE A LOT OF PENT UP ANGER OR FEAR IN GOOD OLD BETHEL.

MY ONLY HOPE IS THAT THIS OCCURS IN MY LIFETIME. I WILL LOVE DOING A DANCE WHEN IT HAPPENS.

Outoftheorg

• upside/down
    upside/down

"one can only hope..." - Capt. Jack Sparrow

u/d

• jaredg
    jaredg

the WTS's number one enemy is knowlege

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    One well paced defector could bring the whole sorry edifice crashing down

If the WTBTS does implode, the poor r&f will find some way to rally around key doctrinal issues and move on. They'll find some way to shrug it off as 'Jehovah cleansing his house' or some nonsense along those lines.

So many people have given their lives and their children's futures to this 'faith' that to just give it up would be way too painful. Rough guess is that even if the WTBTS completely ceased to exist, I wouldn't be surprised if about half of the 'faithful' found some way to regroup.

Jean

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Jeanniebeanz. I'd guess at less then half, perhaps a third. I think they'd lose the majority of their young people and stumble quite a few of the older ones.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    It's interesting to speculate about the fact that legal authority may have been removed from the Governing Body with the intent of protecting them from appearing in court. When they announced that the organization was to be led by 9 or more different corporations

I hadn't heard about that. What happened? When?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Rebel8, that "simplification" came in about 1995 or 1996 I believe. The GB are in charge in name only. Something had to be done. Senility is setting in.

Yes, Metatron, I think your analysis is absolutely dead-on. Only time will tell if there is a Gorbachev hiding in the wings to help along the dismantling of the WTBTS. I fear that there is no one man with heart; that the entire organization is caught up in a web of committee, with no one strong enough to influence in one direction or the other. My other big fear is that the lawyers are in charge....no heart for the people.

I also agree it is unlikely that we will see a catastrophic collapse. More like a decades-long sigh, as the machine slowly winds down from exhaustion. I think we are seeing this already. An awful lot of JW's are depressed and on medication. The routine is depressing. The repression is depressing. It is as if the senility of the leadership has infiltrated the entire organization. Not that unlikely a prospect, I figure, considering that everybody must follow the "slave" lockstep, the "blind" leading the "blind" right in to the pit.

1. If the WTS were to go the way of the World Wide Church of God admit its mistakes and go mainstream, it would fracture in to hardline and liberal camps, with a lot of disaffected members leaving. It would end up a fraction of its' current size. I don't think there is anybody in Headquarters with the courage to admit they were so wrong.
    2. If the WTS continues on as if nothing is wrong, we will continue to see further "simplification", closed Kingdom Halls, reduction of publications and participation. Disaffected members will continue to creep away quietly until the whole structure can no longer maintain itself. It will end up a whisper of it's original glory.
    3. Watch the third world! The WT message is very compelling there, yet. It is possible that as the North American witness contingent atrophies, that a strong third-world contingent may make a bid for control. I think a third-world controlled organization would be more aggressive. Bethel in Brazil. The primary publication in Spanish. Think about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit