OK, So I'm thinking about becoming a witness.

by MarkAnthony 87 Replies latest jw friends

• ko38
    ko38

Thats cool oldsoul,I should have read the whole thread..............Ken

• steve2
    steve2
    Im just curious as to why this thread is still going?

I assumed it was because a friend in need entered the thread and started making some comments that provoked another round of responses. Also, I thought that the person who started the thread might be browsing through the answers and not feel the need to reply. I did that for a while when I used to browse through this forum.

• holly
    holly

I think hes gone............all this talk of oral sex and masturbation! I thought by the way, that masturbation was wrong. at least the church taught me that, and the jws said oral sex was wrong - they have their similarities. something to do with the thought process during masturbation (So im told!!!!). Apparently! you cant really masturbate while thinking of good and wholesome things! (So im told!)

• beebee
    beebee
    Apparently! you cant really masturbate while thinking of good and wholesome things! (So im told!)

I guess that all depends on how you view sex in general. If you believe that G-d gave us the ability to enjoy procreation (which supposedly few other animals enjoy) and the ability to have sex all the time (versus most mammals that must be in estrus), then you can view sex as a healthy and beautiful gift, even if your religious or other moral boundaries limit sex to marriage. So fantasizing about sex while masturbating needn't be viewed as a dirty thing.

Christianity didn't start out with such restrictive views about sex, all that came in several hundred years later thanks to an obsessive Ceasar (Constantine I think...I'm not Christian so I am by no means an expert on Christianity). Our culture (American) has a strangly obsessive love/hate relationship with sex anyway. Once I got to the point where I excepted it as one of the pleasantries of life and got over the guilt, it sure got a lot more fun.

• observador
    observador

MarkAnthony,

what say you? :)

I would bet money MarkAnthony has accepted a "bible study" with "one of Jehovah's Witnesses"...

Observador

• steve2
    steve2
    Our culture (American) has a strangly obsessive love/hate relationship with sex anyway.

I think mark anthony may be till tuned in. How could he not given the trend on this thread! The above comment would apply to Western countries in general - although I would guess that the United States probably has the most extremes (e.g., conservative southern states and the "liberated" Californians).

In modern societies, there's a kind of hush-hush sexual squeamishness side by side with an almost infantile curiosity (e.g., all those "heated" watchtower articles on what married couples could and could not do and "restrained" and ever so polite meetings with elders and young guilty witness youth going over the details of their sexual indiscretions. Talk about the repression and the sexually charged atmosphere!

• PinTail
    PinTail

Well here we go:

As a Catholic you were not really much controled, but once you become a Witness's trust me they will become the KGB and give you hell if you step out of line and they will scare you with Armagedon to keep you in line; and you better keep some friends on the outside cause there may come a time when they may kick your hiney out of the trooth then you won't have no body.

• RescueMe
    RescueMe
    I was raised Roman Catholic but stopped going about 25 years ago. I was talking with someone I work with who is a JW and suggested I might look into it. So here I am.............

Before you make any decision one way or the other, I would suggest you truly and honestly look into every aspect of any religious group before you commit yourself to it. I left behind organized religion long ago because of all the hypocrites and the false information that is given on a regular basis. I would never wish to discourage anyone from having a true and honest relationship with their creator, but you need not belong to any organization to do that. Many feel the need to belong to a group who believe the same things, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as the group doesn't take control of your spiritual relationship with your creator, and your life. I wish you all the best.

yes, oral sex certainly is frowned upon in the Watchtower. But that was over 20 years ago. I wonder if this line is presently pushed in the literature. Has anyone a more recent article on this topic?

*** St. Petersburg Times August 22, 2002 "Spiritual Shunning"

[As recorded at http://www.sptimes.com/2002/08/22/Floridian/Spiritual_shunning.shtml on August 24, 2002]

[Watchtower spokesperson J. R.] Brown said Witnesses believe that sexual activity between men and women should "follow the normal course." of things. "We feel that oral or anal intercourse would go beyond that."

*** Watchtower 1992 July 15 pp.8-13 Christ Hated Lawlessness?Do You? ***

Hating Sexual Uncleanness

15 As Christians, we must particularly hate all uncleanness that involves sexual matters. By creating mankind with strong mating instincts, God served two fine purposes. He made certain that the human race would not die out, and he also made a most loving provision for happiness. Even people who are poor, illiterate, or disadvantaged in some other way can find great happiness in the marital relationship. However, Jehovah has set bounds within which this relationship may be enjoyed. These divinely stated limits must be respected.?Genesis 2:24; Hebrews 13:4.

16 If we hate lawlessness, we will studiously avoid all sexually unclean practices and immoral entertainment. We will therefore avoid all morally questionable books, magazines, and newspapers. Likewise, if we hate lawlessness, we will not view any unclean visual presentations, whether on television, in motion pictures, or on the stage. If we find a program to be immoral, we should be moved to switch off the television set at once or should have the courage to leave the theater. Similarly, hating lawlessness will make us guard against all music that is passion-arousing in its lyrics or its tempo. We will not seek knowledge of immoral matters but will be ?babes as to badness, yet full-grown in powers of understanding.??1 Corinthians 14:20

*** Examining the Scriptures Daily 2002 ***

Friday, February 22

?Flee from fornication.

"While sexuality is a gift from God, it is not to be Expressed without restraint, even within the marriage arrangement." Eph. 5:28-30; 1 Pet. 3:1,7

Outside of marriage, sexual relations are forbidden. The Bible is quite specific on this matter. ( Ex. 20:14; Mark 7: 21,22 ) What is meant by the word "fornication"? It is translated from the Greek word por·nei'a, which is Sometimes used to apply to sexual relations between unmarried people. ( 1 Cor. 6: 9 ) Elsewhere, such as at Mat.5:32, 19:9, the term is broader in meaning and refers to additionally to adultery, incest, and bestiality. Other sexual practices between individuals not married to each other, such as oral and anal sex and the sexual manipulation of another's genitalia, can also be designated as por·nei'a. All such practices are condemned ?either explicitly or by implication?in God's Word.?Lev. 20:10,13,15,16; Rom. 1:24,26,27,32.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit