How long since you been out in service?

by freedom96 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• euripides
    euripides
    As I walked up to the first door, I had what I could only describe as a mild panic attack. All those years of field service came flooding back into my memory as I tried to knock on the door.

O Man that happened to me also, I forget why on earth I was back supposed to be knocking on doors, Halloween maybe as someone else said. It was like a creepy body memory, everything telling me it felt so wrong, and I had that bolt response as if I simply could not handle it!

Been almost 17 years since I did that, about as long as I actually was doing it. The last 17 years of NOT doing it have been a lot easier than the first 17 of doing it. stillajwexelder, how on earth do you survive out in door-to-door thinking about all of us here? You must be going through a living hell...

Euripides

• dh
    dh

8-9 years since filed service. but this month is 10 years since I was baptized, ha hah ah, the most important day of my life!

• AloneinOh
    AloneinOh

23 glorious years!

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

If the reference is to the jw preaching activity (aka door-to-door-witnessing TM) then the answer is November 1988 (sixteen and a bit years). I remember it as it had been ages before that since I had been 'out' in the 'work' and this occasion definitely convinced me that I would never trudge the streets again peddling a worthless message.

As far as community service is concerned then I have several worthwhile activities that truly do benefit others in my locality and which I try to be involved with as often as possible.

cheeses. who continues to expound the belief that the jw witnessing activity is the greatest waste of time ever devised by religious morons.

• blondie
    blondie

d2d---about 10 years

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The last time I was out in service was the Saturday morning when Princess Diana's funeral occurred. It proved to be a great "topic for conversation." I believe she died in 1997. I will let you do the calculation.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I went in service this weekend. Had some really good calls. I left the "what hope for dead loved ones" brochure with an older gentleman. He asked some good questions. I'm hoping to return tomorrow for an RV. Hopefully I can start a door step bible study; you know go through the brochure with him for about 5 minutes; those can easily turn into a regular reportable study. Oooh I am so excited!! Jah really blessed my morning.

I can't believe I actually talked like that for so many years. I think I feel sick now . I actually did go in service this weekend. But, I didn't like it.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

2 weeks.

I think I'll go this coming Saturday for an hour or so.

DY

• imnottheonlyone!
    imnottheonlyone!

Probably around 1993 or so...wow, I can't believe its been so long!

D

• willyloman
    willyloman

Let's see, last meeting we attended at a KH was about 14 months ago. For some months prior to that we reported FS but did not go out. We showed up occasionally but went on "a study" with a little old lady who took the magazines but never read them, welcomed us into her lovely little house, poured us some tea and showed us her garden. Sometimes she showed us pictures of her children and grandchildren. And great grandchildren. She was either 92 or 96, she couldn't remember.

The last time I knocked on a door was probably in the late spring of 2003. We had been avoiding service, dragging our feet, putting in "token" time for a few months prior to that. On this day we found ourselves boxed in with no recourse but to go out with a group. My wife and I worked together. About 10 doors were "not at homes." Then a man came to the door, looked us up and down, and said, "Not interested." After he closed the door, I turned to my wife and said, "I don't blame him."

We walked back to our car, drove around the block until we saw a group of dubs standing on a street corner, pulled over and said we had to get going, and went to Starbucks. Over coffee, my wife said, "I don't know how much longer I can do this." We never went door to door again. We started skipping meetings. By fall, we were missing more meetings than we were attending. One Sunday, after we hadn't been to a meeting in three weeks, we showed up at the public talk and WT study, both of which made absolutely no sense to us at all. That was our last meeting.

We have not regretted leaving for one second.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit