Jehover's Witnesses get a taste of karma....

by Elsewhere 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

JWs and the WTS have policies in place for the sole purpose of discriminateing against and harass people who do not believe the same things they believe. They hunt down anyone who exercises their freedoms or speech and religion so that they can destroy the person's family... now they are getting a small taste of what they do to other people... how do they respond? They cry "foul".

http://www.forum18.org/Archive.php?article_id=501

This article was published by F18 News on: 31 January 2005

TURKMENISTAN: Protestants threatened, Jehovah's Witnesses interrogated and mosques demolished

By Felix Corley, Editor, Forum 18 News Service

Protestants in north-eastern Turkmenistan have been threatened for holding services and preaching Christianity, Forum 18 News Service has learnt. "The head of the village administration, the police, the National Security Ministry (NSM) secret police and Muslim clergy in the person of the mullah started to put pressure on them," local believers who wished not to be named told Forum 18. As well as threatening to deport the Protestants from their village if they continue to hold services, local officials threatened to cut off gas and electricity supplies to the family home and withhold pensions, a serious threat in impoverished Turkmenistan. Raids and other pressures against Jehovah's Witnesses are also continuing, including the sudden detention and interrogation "in a verbally abusive manner" of Altyn Jorayeva and her three children, aged 8 years, 6 years, and 7 months old. Forum 18 has also learnt of further demolitions of mosques the authorities do not approve of.

Three members of a Protestant family in the village of Gorogly (formerly Tagta), 20 kilometres (12 miles) south of the town of Dashoguz [Dashowuz] in north-eastern Turkmenistan, were summoned to the local administration and threatened on 25 January. "The head of the village administration, the police, the National Security Ministry (NSM) secret police and Muslim clergy in the person of the mullah started to put pressure on them for holding services in their home and preaching their faith among villagers," local believers who wished not to be named told Forum 18 News Service. "The officials threatened that if they did not halt their religious activities they would be expelled from the village."

These threats come amid continuing pressure elsewhere in the country on Jehovah's Witnesses. Forum 18 has also learnt of two further mosque demolitions in the capital Ashgabad during the wave of destruction of mosques last October (see F18News 4 January 2005 http://www.forum18.org/Archive.php?article_id=481).

As well as threatening to deport the Protestant family from Gorogly if they continue to hold services, local officials threatened to cut off gas and electricity supplies to the family home and withhold pensions, a serious threat in impoverished Turkmenistan. "It's better not to argue with them as anything could happen ? the law is on their side," one official half-jokingly told the family, referring to the local authorities.

"Officials forced the family members to write a statement, ignoring the country's constitutional provisions on freedom of speech and human rights," believers told Forum 18. "None of the officials identified themselves, even though they had officially demanded that the family appear at the local administration building via the local police." Officials also confiscated a Turkmen-language copy of the New Testament. They also accused the family of having brought in a car-load of Christian literature, though local believers insist this has not happened.

The Protestant family has faced such threats since 2001. Sources identified local police official Maya Geldievna (last name unknown) as behind many of the threats. They also reported that when the irrigation canal next to the family home was cleaned in 2004, the bulldozer operators "deliberately" removed a protective wall of earth, which led to their home and garden being flooded. "The whole day long the family had to use buckets to scoop out the water which kept flooding in, before they found a pump to remove the water," sources told Forum 18.

Meanwhile, Jehovah's Witnesses have complained they are still deprived of freedom of association and peaceful assembly, even in their own homes. "Police and national security officers interrupt small religious gatherings being conducted in private homes," Jehovah's Witnesses told Forum 18. "They detain all in attendance, verbally abuse them, and at times brutally beat the detainees. Afterward those present are given heavy fines, with the owner of the home subjected to an even heavier fine." They also complained of continuing evictions of believers from their homes and dismissals from work.

On 12 November 2004, Bilbil Kulyyeva, a mother of four, was forcibly evicted from the hostel in Ashgabad where she and her children were living. Jehovah's Witnesses told Forum 18 that the eviction was ordered by the religious affairs department of Ashgabad city hyakimlik (administration) as punishment for her faith.

In other incidents against Jehovah's Witnesses late last year, on 19 October officers of the hyakimlik of Ashgabad's Azatlyk district forcibly took an underage boy Vladimir Rodionov from school to the hyakimlik. Without notifying his mother, Tatyana Rodionova, Vladimir was intensively interrogated and threatened in an attempt to obtain the addresses of his mother's fellow believers. He was forced to sign a statement that he would not attend Jehovah's Witness meetings with his mother.

In the evening of 29 September, Altyn Jorayeva, a Jehovah's Witness from the town of Seydi [Seydi], in northern Turkmenistan, and her three children were visiting a fellow believer Babakuly Yakubov in the village of Khojakenepsi in Farab district. Three other Jehovah's Witnesses - Shukurjan Khatamova, Rozyzhan Charyyev, and Oguldurdy Altybayeva - were also present. Suddenly, four policemen burst into the apartment without permission and without producing any personal identification documents. Deputy police chief Akhmetjan Alymov and Serdar Khuseynov searched the apartment for religious literature and confiscated any they could find.

Jorayeva and her children (8 years, 6 years, and 7 months old) were taken to the police station where she was interrogated by police chief Khemrayev "in a verbally abusive manner". As a result of threats and intimidation, her children were forced to utter the oath of loyalty to Turkmenistan's president Saparmurat Niyazov as well as to recite verses to him. "The children cried while doing this," the Jehovah's Witnesses told Forum 18. The family was released shortly before midnight.

On 13 October two of those present during the raid - Yakubov and Khatamova - were summoned to the hyakimlik's administrative commission and each fined 2,500,000 manats (3,055 Norwegian kroner, 369 Euros, or $481 US dollars at the inflated official exchange rate). This is about 1.5 times the average monthly salary. "The commission was made up of eight persons who conducted themselves extremely impudently," the Jehovah's Witnesses told Forum 18. The chairman of the commission, Kh. Berdyyev, also ordered hyakimlik official Abdull Charyyev to arrange for Yakubov to be dismissed from his work.

On 8 September another Jehovah's Witness, Gulzhemal Allagulyyeva from the Khojamb district of Turkmenabad (formerly Charjou [Charjew]) region, was fined 1,250,000 manats (1,527 Norwegian kroner, 184 Euros, or $240 US dollars at the inflated official exchange rate) for her religious activity. She was also forced to sign a statement that she would stop sharing her faith with others. Present at the administrative commission were an officer of the NSM secret police and two officers of the police's 6th department, which handles terrorism.

Sources in Turkmenistan have told Forum 18 that two further mosques were demolished in Ashgabad in October 2004 in addition to the four demolitions in the capital already reported (see F18News 4 January 2005 http://www.forum18.org/Archive.php?article_id=481). Both were located in Shor-Garadamak in Azatlyk district of northern Ashgabad. "I found one of these mosques in a half-demolished state with no roof," one visitor to the site told Forum 18. "According to a sign hanging in front of the property, Azatlyk district police outreach unit will be built to replace this mosque. Nobody in the neighbourhood could clearly say why it was demolished." All six of these mosques were destroyed in the days running up to the start of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

In the wake of the demolition of the mosque near Ashgabad's Customs Clearing House, sources have told Forum 18 that two people were arrested for protesting against the demolition. The names of those detained are unknown and it is not clear whether they are still being held or whether they were punished for the protest.

The authorities continue to retain tight control over all Muslim activity. One Ashgabad imam, who preferred not to be identified, reported that the main imam for the city of Ashgabad, Hezretguly Khan, was dismissed in September 2004 because "some Wahhabis" had been found in the city. President Niyazov had spoken out against Wahhabis that same month, but it is unclear whether these are followers of the strict brand of Islam that predominates in Saudi Arabia or whether the term is being used more widely (as is common in Central Asia) for Muslims the government does not like. Khan was replaced by Mekan Akyev, a young graduate of the Turkmen State University's Theological Faculty.

This year's pilgrimage to Mecca, the haj, as in previous years, saw only 188 pilgrims allowed to travel, far below the quota allocated to Turkmenistan by the Saudi authorities. One Ashgabad imam, who preferred not to be identified, reported that he knew at least one person who had been on the haj waiting list for at least 10 years and who found out that somebody else who had been on the waiting list for less than 2 years went on this year's haj by paying a bribe in US dollars.

For more background, see Forum 18's Turkmenistan religious freedom survey at http://www.forum18.org/Archive.php?article_id=296

A printer-friendly map of Turkmenistan is available at
    http://www.nationalgeographic.com/xpeditions/atlas/index.html?Parent=asia&Rootmap=turkme

• Gopher
    Gopher

There's no doubt that the policies of the WTS towards former members are cruel and disgusting.

I find that the actions of the Turkmeni government towards religious minorities are even more disgusting. Government agents who force people to make statements renouncing their religion, and force children to recite oaths they don't believe in are inhumane. Bursting into homes and beating people who are meeting peaceably -- this harks back to the Spanish Inquisition. It's stupid behavior and it doesn't make anyone change their personal beliefs.

When will these medieval governments learn that it's just better to leave people alone, even if you don't like their beliefs? JW's are no threat to the Turkmeni government.

• franklin J
    franklin J

bad karma has a way of coming arouond....I cannot think of a more deserving group....

of course they welcome this as the prophesied persecution....only jehovahs people are persecuted...

yes, they have all the answers. they must be gods people

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Else, so sad to read this. It's particularly sad that the activity is directed against individual members, who bear the brunt of the reactions to their policies. Also, I fear that it will only be fodder for their publications, as in the past, in support of the WTS's persecution for doing "Jehovah's will" theory.

Frannie

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    it will only be fodder for their publications, as in the past, in support of the WTS's persecution for doing "Jehovah's will" theory.

Exactly what I was thinking....

Jean

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

The Turkmeni government should just arrest them and make them read this site for two weeks solid then let them go!

• steve2
    steve2
    bad karma has a way of coming arouond....I cannot think of a more deserving group....

So, if I understand correctly, bad things happen to people and/or groups because they kind of brought it on themselves by doing bad things to others. In that case, I'm wondering whether the people who've been badly treated by the Watchtower brought it on themselves? Or are they are exceptions to this principle of kharma? The trouble with kharma is that it's a way to explain everything and ends up explaining nothing.

• franklin J
    franklin J

in my opinion, yes; we brought it on ourselves. Very plain and simple.

As an active, dedicated JW I recall shunning many individuals for no other reason than that they thought differently than me. It was only a small action which contributed to many others making up what was a very narrow, simple black or white life that I led. I was, after all ; going to live forever with other like minded people who served jehovah---were we not the fortunate ones?

This horrible mentality came crashing down on top of me when I was the one being shunned. The lesson I learned was truly " do onto others...."

• upside/down
    upside/down

does it taste like chicken?

Bad is bad, I don't wish it on anyone.

u/d

• Stromboli
    Stromboli

Steve2 ditto that.

Bad Karma my ass! what they are doing to this people is disgusting full stop. and elsewhere you you...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit