The WTs Biggest Deceptions

by individual 21 Replies latest jw friends

• individual
    individual

I was just wondering what do the members of this board think the biggest deception in the teaching of the Watchtower Society is?

One of the biggest deceptions for me, one that stuck like a thorn in my side was their deception on earthquakes, hence my previous thread on the last days. The WTS, as I recall, published supposed proof of the increase in earthquakes since 1914. I was so angry when I found out that this was an outright lie. Whether you believe they did this intentionally or not they should have been more accurate when publishing such sensitive materials. I now know that it is easy for them to mislead over this since they often change their own history when trying to prove that they are Gods organisation.

Their other deception is in their steadfast refusal to acknowledge that 607 is the wrong date for the destruction of Jerusalem. Jerusalem was destroyed when it was destroyed, you cannot change a date just to please yourself, it is like saying World War 2 started in 1919.

As far as preaching of the good news goes - and using that as a sign of the last days, if that is the best sign that they can provide (a self-fulfilling one at that) then that is a bit sad. I feel sorry for all those that are sucked in on these deceptions and those others like these.

What do you feel are the WTs biggest deceptions? What makes you the most angry? Does it get anyone frustrated when the WTS is so succesful at misleading its followers? To me it is so obviously a fraud, the history of all their prophetic dates alone is enough to convince me of this, also the failure of their generation prophecy.
    And it was a prophecy no matter what they say, I can remember in the 80's the public talks that were given where the ages of the generation of 1914 were calculated. Any thoughts on this?

• TheApostleAK
    TheApostleAK
    Their other deception is in their steadfast refusal to acknowledge that 607 is the wrong date for the destruction of Jerusalem. Jerusalem was destroyed when it was destroyed, you cannot change a date just to please yourself, it is like saying World War 2 started in 1919.

Bingo! That killed my faith in the WTBTS but not in the Bible. Just read Gentile Times Reconsidered.

From The Apostle AK

• Francois
    Francois

607 was a biggie for me, too. Especially when I discovered that Ray Franz was sent out not to discover the truth, but to find evidence that would support the pre-conceived notions of the WTB&TS. As a highly scientifically oriented person, this was the livin' end for me. I really do think that it's only appropriate in ANY field to do your research and let the chips fall where they may. Picking and choosing among competing facts in support of a favored outcome isn't the search for truth, it's a justification for lying. Lying from an organization that claims to speak for God. Shit.

But, ya know, there's so many deceptions perpetrated by this twisted cult, it's hard to choose a favorite.

The un-scientific position taken on such things as innoculations, aluminum pots, and I forget what all else bespeak ignorance of the most egregious kind, redneck ignorance: ignorant and damn proud of it.

Too much for me, thanks,

Franc

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

The two things that did it for me was. In 1995 when the society changed the meaning of THE GENERATION THAT SAW 1914. I started doing my own research. Then I discovered the problem with 607. How it did not even fit the 1914 profecy. I quit going soon there after.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

For me the biggest deception was their equating “eating” blood with transplanting (transfusion) blood. This deception went on for years before they finally dropped use of the term “eating” blood when they meant transplanting blood. I don’t think they were smart enough to know the difference in the beginning.

They still refer to the scriptures that ban eating blood as though they stated that transplanting blood was banned. They just stopped using the word “eating.” The deception continues.

Regards,

Sam Beli

• Simon
    Simon

I think the 607/1914 thing upon rests their whole 'we have been chosen as gods representatives' claim.

I guess that is why they go to such lenght to propagate the lies surrounding it and to keep things covered up - they has so much riding on it.

If 607/1914 doesn't work out... then they were not picked... they it doesn'e matter what else they say about anything - they are just a man-made organisation claiming to speak for god.

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

The one that did it for me was "by the love you have amongst yourselves, all will know you are my disciples". I thought that if this is true then I'm in the wrong religion. There is more pettiness, jealousy, intolerance, judgmentalism, unforgiving attitudes and back biting than in any other community group that I've had experience with.

Marilyn

• Farkel
    Farkel

: One of the biggest deceptions for me, one that stuck like a thorn in my side was their deception on earthquakes, hence my previous thread on the last days.

That's nothin'!

Their absolute BIGGEST deception is blatantly obvious: They claim they speak for God.

Given all of their lies, flip-flops and false predictions/prophecies, deceptions/lies don't get any bigger than that. They are the "gang that couldn't shoot straight" in practice, but in spoken word they are "God's Sole Mouthpiece For Mankind(tm)."

Either God is really stupid or His claimed sole representatives are frauds. Either way, it's not a pretty sight.

Farkel

• larc
    larc

Farkel,

Tongue in cheek humor time.

Brother Farkel , what is wrong with you boy. Just because they made a few mistakes along the way, you are trying to tell me that they are not God's choosen people????

Now, lookee here, trying to figure out exactly when Jehovah is going to smash everybody to bits is not an easy task, but somebody has to take on the challenge, don't ya know.

Now as far as Bible prophecy goes - OK, so they got a little mixed up from time to time as to who is the king of the north and who is the king of the south. Well, you just can't get it all right all of the time.

So what, if they thought that the ancient men of old, talked about by our good brother Paul in his letter to the Hebrews, were going to come back to live in San Diego and then they never bothered to show up. This is not anything to get all flustered about.

And you know when our good brother Rutherford, told those children at the convention how special they were and how they should never marry when they grow up because the time was too short for sex and babies, well, it was just a simple miscalulation. It is understandable.

Farkel, you get upset over the little things. You have to keep in mind the big things, like hours in the field service, number of back calls and bible studies.

I hope my counsel to you was upbuilding because I don't want to see you missing any more meetings and enjoying yourself doing other things.

• larc
    larc

Oh, and Farkel, we don't want to catch you playing any more Mozart on the piano. Mozart was a filthy pagan.

I hope you feel uplifted, and ready to pioneer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit