Words you used instead of cussing

by JH 40 Replies latest jw friends

• wednesday
    wednesday

I said Darn a lot, and Oh My God, and screwed up, I was not a good example, but in all fairness, a bro while giving a talk once said "screwed up". He got counseled after the talk. lol .I was quite fond of janis joplin and her little song "mercedes Benz" (sp) in which she say "Oh Lord want u buy me a mercedes Benz" That was just too worldly for my associates.

My dad used to say "jesus H christ" and I never knew what the H stood for.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

lol Wednesday...

• blondie
    blondie

Fudge

Sugar

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

dirty-disconnected-sewer-pipe-and-dishwater!

Heavens to Betsy

Fiddle Sticks

Fudge cicles

Great Gobs of Goose Grease

Holy Moley

Sassafrass

Aw, for the love of Pete

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Oh Fiddlesticks!

• prophecor
    prophecor

M&F'r said: ( m and effer )

• prophecor
    prophecor

OHHHHHHHHHHH Snap!!! for oh $#!+, for oh s_ _ _ _

• prophecor
    prophecor

I actually work very hard at refraining from colorful language ( a politically correct term if ever there was one ) to this day, especially around children and the elderly. My wife and my I in private may use descriptive expletives around each other occasionally, but even then we try to keep it at a reasonably respectable level.

I ,however, can get way out of hand when discussing highly charged energy topics, or when someone or something has purely pissed me off! Then, euphemisms are no longer my option, the four letter words can fly out as a means of releasing an incredible amount of energy, they can be as sharp as swords.

Other times they are used to bring a little humor and added spice to things being discussed. Especially when in the prescense of my most trusted friends and companions. They sometimes have their place, though I do better when not reducing the quality of of my communication in any arena.

If at all possible, however, I try to restrain myself from thee indescriminate use of them, as they can be a negative reflection on ones self, especially in public, and it strengthens one's character not to resort to such, unnecessarilly.

Damn, did I say that right?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère!

Pardon my French

• groovycat.
    groovycat.

This is something that always got to me; I'm not allowed to swear, but it is ok for my mother (still a JW) to use substitute words. If it is a substitute then the sentiment is the same; a word is just a word, it is the meaning that is put behind it that makes it a swear word.

I have no problem with swearing, I find it a descriptive and efficient way to convey the emotion behind the subject, in the right circumstances of course. That said, the general view of society dictates that certain words are offensive, and so censorship of these words, whether I wish to use them or not, is often best applied.

Anyway, some of my favourites:

• Flip e.g "for flips sake!", "arrgh, flipping heck!" etc.
    • Bloomin' - Bloody
    • Sugar - $hit, derivative: sugar ally (unique to our family I think)
    • Cheese 'n' crust - Jesus Christ
    and my personal favourite at the moment:

Feck (a new contender thanks to the Irish TV show 'Father Ted' - bloomin' genious!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit