Did you notice that they were a lot of "rich Witnesses" in the organization

by inquirer 27 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• franklin J
    franklin J

..my parents and their immediate circle of JW friends were, indeed, well off financially.

Most of them had several homes; had large sailboats which were kept in the Carribbean in the winter; and came back to Long Island in the summer; one was a TV producer ( whose soap opera was and still is well known).

There were always new cars; and the local kingdom hall was built in a very affluent residential area.

There were always trips away ( especially for National and International assemblies in far away places) In hindsite, the money aspect was played down quite a bit by my folks and their crowd.

This same crowd later disowned them when we left.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

No I think it's exactly the oppisite I think the average Jw is a high school dropout or GED canidate who is (preferably) mentaly ill... Or maybe it's my take on "rich" I think making over 500K is pretty good I know very very few brothers who are in that catagory... now I do know lots of elders and Ms who are in the 90-225k tax bracket... why are they elders and not mister dropped out of high school to clean floors for a living who is still a pub?... well you dont have to be a genius to figure that out! I do know that if mister floor cleaner dropped out of high school to pioneer and clean floors he's probrably a MS or Elder so its simply not a scandle it's just life and life ain't fair whether your religious or not it just ain't fair...

• Descender
    Descender

I married into a very well off family (not for that reason), but I was disfellowshipped the majority of that time. Most witnesses in my area were very poor and actually seemed a bit scared and stand-offish of anyone in the congregation that had money. There were a lot of talks about not pursuing worldly riches and the evils of having too much money. I think they basically ran off all of the rich families with their prejudices because now my ex-in-laws no longer attend meetings and the few other families that were well off are almost totally inactive.

I lived in an upper middle class area, but taken as a whole, the congregation I attended was definitely much poorer than the surrounding community. I met very few JWs who were educated; no doctors, 1 lawyer, and 1 accountant. Most who have education are not foolish enough to succumb to the cult of the Watchtower, which is probably why education was so emphatically discouraged in my time.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

I know the "rich", well off, financially secure, the pretenders, the break evens, and the toilet scrubbers. It usually breaks into trade school vs university line. From what I see the rich ones send their kids to universities while they pioneer, then the pioneers with degrees get first pick for bethel service.

Most JWs I know are finacially better after joining JWs. Of course since I live in an alternate deminsion feel free to call me a liar. It could be because many are poor recovering substance abusers in our area, and it is a no brainer that your savings will sky rocket once you get off the whatever. Plus showing up to work sober increases productivity. I think the problem is money talks. If brother money bags gets pissed at the cheese and cracker men all he has to do is change halls, or stop inviting them to dinner parties, or stop writing blank checks to the secetary. THe dinner parties seem to be the most common means of showning disdain.

Not to forget every "rich" brother I know was or is an elder. I have not met any one that has never been an elder. Oddly I have never met a traditional white collar rich man. One thats in a company thats on the stock market or a small brick and mortar goods company. All of them are realestate developers/contractors (the majority), musicians, or lawyers. It is like having one person cloned repeatedly. They all have money granted, but they are so bland in how they come by it. I don't know about your area, but how come every hall has the same token rich guy. How come none of them are chemist, or stock brokers, or industrialist or film makers. You know what I mean. I mean when you meet wordly people that are rich they have all kinds of jobs.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

In my hometown, you had to be poor to be an elder. Anyone who had a regular job with steady income was seen as materialistic. In far SE Oklahoma at least, being financially stable is frowned upon. In Texarkana, where I was a MS, the elder body was made up of some well to do brothers and some extremely poor. My last cong, in Durant, has one prominewnt elder and a few "side" elders, if you will. He is well off and you could not be around him without hearing about his expensive vacations, his wife's sports car, their time share in Hawaii, their new rv, etc. His son and sone-in-law are the same way and are as elders as well. Very cold, very unloving, very hypocritical. until moving there, I never knew that a cong could be so unloving toward those in need.

• Shania
    Shania

Yes and they were treated like gold wether they were spiritually week or not....................as long as they gave big in the box, kissed ass when CO came around (that is who the CO wanted to be with anyway) invited the elders over for fancy meals or invited them to go away on vacation with them they were always in the inner circle!!!!!!!!!!!!!MONEY TALKS!!!!!!!!!!!! you need it to be anybody in this organizations.

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

Where I lived a rich Witness was an urban legend. They must have existed. I did not know any.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit