Did you notice that they were a lot of "rich Witnesses" in the organization

by inquirer 27 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• inquirer
    inquirer

or was it just me?

I remember this guy once, after the book study (the one where you go to someone's house to study a book) boasting on this house he wanted to buy! It made me feel sick! He was showing off so much! And that infuriated me because I was (still am) a poor person! The house was not 1 story, not 2 story.... BUT 3 STORIES HIGH!!! And he is suppose to be a Jehovah's Witness? The elder there apparently was helping him buy it. But didn't tell him to "cut down" one level. :(

How do they get around the Scripture about the rich man likened to a camel going through the eye of the needle?

But he wasn't the only one. There were others too. Elders, and ordinary Witnesses who wanted to buy their own houses and be landlords too.

I think the only people who can be JW's are rich people. When I went there, they looked down on you and would avoid "associating" (they love that word :D ) with you. Almost like I am a "bad association" myself. Maybe I spoilt there evil habbits?

• under74
    under74

"...they looked down on you and would avoid "associating" (they love that word :D ) with you. Almost like I am a "bad association" ...

It was the same way at the KH I attended. As a kid it was pretty hard to take. I remember at one point my family was having a real hard time and instead of trying to help out the elders set up a meeting with my mom telling her that she wouldn't get any help from anyone in the congregation (even though she hadn't asked). I was just a kid but I knew that was heartless. And from then on, the other kids at the KH wouldn't talk to me or my siblings. I know there wasn't a public announcement about "the poor people that should be ignored" but word was sent out. How's that for loving?

• Gill
    Gill

This is just too true. Sorry for your experiences.

We were going through a seriously difficult patch financially about fifteen years ago.

A wealthy elder and his wife came to visit.

'There's no way we can help you financially.' the elder announced to us. 'It just wouldn't be right. But we can come on a Friday evening and do the Watchtower study with you so that you're all prepared for Sunday.'

My husband did not dignify his question with an answer.

Still makes me laugh now.

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

As much as Jesus tells us about the valuble contribution of the widow with 2 sparrows, sparrows ain't gonna pay the kingdom hall mortgage. That's rich brother big shot's job. So they cut him a little slack on his bragging. In exchange for his generous contributions. Besides, this brother is usually living proof that you don't need a college degree from the old system to make it. In the eye of the needle parable Jesus wasn't actually refering to the eye of a sewing needle here though. He was refering to a Jewish market town who's entrace was covered in a high archway. The merchants usually traveled by camel and some of them would load so many goods on a camel's back that they would have to crouch down and struggle to make it through the archway. So what Jesus really meant was "be ballanced in your pursuit of riches, because the harder you chase your wealth the harder it will be to win God's favor. That being said I do recall seeing a drawing on the watchtower back page where a camel was walking across a desert and acient jewish character #623 was holding a sewing needle and pondering. The caption said "impossible isn't it?"

• blondie
    blondie

The number of rich JWs depended on the socio-economic area you lived in. Congregations in poorer rural areas had few JWs with a bucks. Those in nicer areas, had proportionately more rich JWs. People with money live in good neighborhoods and go to the KHs in their area. Reminds me of talking about high schools in this area.

Blondie

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Anyone know of the kingdom support service's quasi-offical policy of making a kingdom hall represent the community. Basically bad areas get crappy halls, and rich areas get opulent ones. They claim that it is for zoning reasons. Not that it is a city code that requires mile deep carpet or seemless hand rails, but that better communities are reluctant to zone for a cracker box windowless building that they can't get taxes on. I think this is made up. I think what really happends is "rich" jws hate crappy halls, and in general want a nice church so they donate more physical items that the brothers 'can't refuse'. BTW our old sound system believe it or not is in some hall in mexico. THey make it sound like a huge valued asset that a 20 year old amp and mics are so unatainable in the place they freaking build new beetles and most american cheap transmissions.

And i think yur comment is true. Believe it or not being a rich JW is much easier than being a poor one. Infact the brothers ask you to contribute nothing compared to the poorest of JWs. No feild service, no parts, no comments, and non of the stigma. It is basically like regular church for rich jws. Look at P,V, and S if most jws live like that most of the "apostate" sites would have nothing to complain about beside NY goofyness in publications.

• aniron
    aniron

It depends n what you call a "rich Witness" as has been stated it depend on the area you live in. In the borough I live it is very mixed ranging from those on benefits, unemployed etc, but go only a mile or two and you are in an area of wealth.

In the congregations I attended members were mixed, low paided to well paided. But, you can bet that Elders and Ministerial Servants were from the well paided section. Through my years as a JW I have met JW's who were Doctors, solicitors, barristers, University lecturers, even millionaires. Nearly all of them Elders.

It also comes into show with a two-tier system of dealing with "wrong-doing" in the congregation. The sons and daughters of the well-off section just being reproved for even committing fornication, yet a young brother unemployed, gets disfellowshipped for smoking.

"All animals are equal - but some are more equal than others" Animal Farm - George Orwell.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Actually a few months ago since the wts is promoting college now (it reserved that for well off jws for years, along with bethel service oddly) that a degree or wealth is not a prerequisite for being an elder. So the wts is aware of the two-tier system.

• SadElder
    SadElder

Through the years we've served in several congregations. Some were quite status conscious others couldn't give a rat's butt about who had what.

Because we've always had more than enough we've always tried to put people at ease who had less than we did. The measure of a man in our mind is what they do with the wealth they have, be it riches, intelligence, quick wit, or kind heart. We have a big house, in fact two of them, what does that make us? Nothing, but old farts with two houses. But alas many dubs are indeed impressed with the have's. Let them eat cake.

• Valis
    Valis

The one really rich elder in out congo was always depended on to make up any money needed when expense time rolled around. Apparently it also gave him license to beat his oldest son regularly. He was a violent asshole hypocrite two faced moron. I remember seeing his son at the hall after many incidents, although he was up there on stage spewing his nonsense. Paul Matyastik if you are out there I hope you live a singularly unhappy life, or what is left of it. Hopefully, your other children and wife haven't suffered under your hand. AND any Dallas elders out there.... you should clean your own house of the filth you let govern the flock!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit