International assemblies - $$$$ aspect

by JustTickledPink 12 Replies latest jw friends

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

My mother is 61 yoa and has always lived on the brink of poverty.

A little over a year ago she said that there had been an annoucement of an "International Assembly" in Australia. She applied. Of course the elders have to "approve" your application. I guess they sit there and think "humph... is this person worthy enough for us to take their money?" So her local congregation stamped her application APPROVED and off it got sent. The cost was $5,000. to go. Yup 5 grand. Now, take into consideration she drives a vehicle that is almost 20 years old, she has health issues, tapes her glasses together because she can't buy new ones, and has qualified for food stamps most of her life. How is she going to come up with 5 thousand dollars? You'd think the elders would have seen that.

So she tells me that she sent them either $500 or $1,000 deposit which was NON-refundable and she had 6 months to come up with the rest of the money. The cost included her airfare (which I do know is expensive from Florida to Australia, lodging, and some tour, and of course their stupid boring assembly. I think it was a 12-day trip.

I ask her how is she going to come up with that kind of money, especially since she has asked me for gas money in the recent past. She says that "Jehovah will provide" that she's just so unbelievably grateful that she was "approved" to go, now she just has to pray and Jehovah will provide her with work to get there.

It really really really bugged me that she sent them so much money and had the encouragement of her elders when they can clearly see she's poor. Time went by and she wasn't able to raise the money, so the non-refundable money just dissapeared and she didn't get to go. She hardly would talk about it, just kinda clammed up when I asked several months after the fact.

This is a question on these assemblies. If you wanted to travel to Australia yourself, I am sure you could do it cheaper than their package deals. So are they making money off this too? They have become even a international travel agency.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

This is appalling! ANYONE can attend an Assembly - why on EARTH do a bunch of ''elders'' have to decide if you can attend one abroad? It isn't as though they are PAYING. In fact, it doesn't sound like the WTS are subsidising it in any way.

I'm so sorry JustTickledPink - I bet your Mum is heartbroken, as this must have been a once-in-a-lifetime experience for her (judging by her circumstances). She must also be gutted that Jehovah, did in fact, NOT provide.

• keeshah
    keeshah

So the elder's decide if you are "spiritual" enough to go? The problem with this is they judge that on how many hours you put in field service. Everyone knows the more time you spend in field service, the less money you bring into the household. How can anyone that is spiritual enough afford to go?!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

What a sad and heartbreaking experience for her! The whole thing is despicable, to say the least!

I, too, don't understand the "approval" aspect and what is behind it. Maybe down the road you could ask her about this, and how-if they're not footing the bill or accommodations, why would anyone *need* the WTS approval to travel?

I feel so bad for her. NONrefundable-huh?

(GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!)

hugs,

Annie

• Mulan
    Mulan
    This is appalling! ANYONE can attend an Assembly - why on EARTH do a bunch of ''elders'' have to decide if you can attend one abroad?

Of course anyone can go, but to be one of their delegates, on their authorized tour, you have to be approved. When we went to the Poland conventions in 1989, there were several Polish-American delegates, who had made their own travel arrangements. We met a family like that.

The tour wasn't all that pricey. I think we paid about $6000 for 3 of us, and it included everything. We literally needed no extra money, but of course we took some. It also included an 8 day trip to Great Britain, with all costs included. We thought it was a good deal, but we could afford it.

The thing is, you need to know you can pay it, before you sign up.

I feel for your Mom, but it is her own fault. She didn't "count the cost".

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

While I agree with Mulan, I have known several poor pioneers that were able to go. One siister went to Brazil. She scrimped and saved and relied on friends to pay her way. My circuit overseer who taught my pioneer school class went to Ukraine. Again, though, he had "sponsors". And of course both he and the pio sister always encouraged other people to try to go to International Conventions, saying that expense would be no prob, because if you seek first the kingdom, Jehovah will provide. It is very easy to get caught up in that reasoning.

But, ultimately, we have to count the cost for ourselves. I saw the revers happen as well. A poor pio sister, the type that has always lived in low income housing and who really doesn't work, just lives off the state and pioneers, get approved to go to South Africa. She could not come up with the money. It was gut wrenching for her, but she was not bitter.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I'm not at all blaming the WTS for my mom's poor decisions. Not at all, I just believe that the elders who are supposed to "shepard" should have maybe given her some advice based on the fact she's been in this area for 22 years and they know her.

She isn't bitter, but I think people like her tend to believe in Jehovah and pray and then when it doesn't work out feel like they need to work harder instead of looking at it realistically and rationally... and of course "count the cost"

Which reminds me I think I am going to take 3 months off and go to Hawaii. (LOL)

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

I agree, Tickled, as shepherds the elder should have given your mom more realistic advice. She sounds like a very sincere person and it is very sad that this happened. There is so much of push to put first he kingdom and you'll be taken care of that it is hard to keep a realistic view of financial limitations

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

So sorry for mom. Many JWs are put under a lot of pressure to attend the assemblies.

Hawaii had an international assembly 2 years ago. It was on Oahu and all the other islands were expected to attend--that was their district convention for the year--it was held there and no where else. So all the JWs from 3 other major islands had to fly to Oahu (Honolulu area). The elders were handing out the information on the package deals on how to book the air fares and hotels. To make matters worth it was sceduled during the Christmas holiday season--the busiest time of year here in Hawaii! The room rates are at the highest. Plus many people work at the resorts here (JWs included) and to request to take a vacation at that time of year would be insane (and could cost you your job), as the resorts are running at full capacity. The air fares run between $150.00-225 round trip and even higher than that if you don't book ahead of time. The hotel rooms were at least 100 per night..Plus most would need to rent a car because the hotels are not close to the assembly (try renting a car over the x-mas in Hawaii). Of course you can't cook in the fancy hotel rooms, so that would mean meals out every night. They requested that no one leave the assembly hall and outside food was not allowed--you had to eat what was provided at the convention hall...The meals were the same every day. You had the choice between hot dogs and chili (guess you couldn't eat if you were a vegetarian.) I was very discouraged and on my way out of JW land by then and didn't go, but still felt very guilty about it. I'm sure some of the brothers were not able to attend this assembly because of the cost. For a family of 4 to attend would run in the thousands. I remember the elders annouced a couple of times that many had not signed up yet to attend and they seemed to be putting the pressure on over that. Of course there was mention of those in other lands who have it way harder than us (swimming the crocodile infested waters and all). Guilt, guilt, guilt.

This was the first assembly I recall where they were requesting that you had to book a package deal to get there. I wonder if the Org is now making money off of this deal.

cybs

• blondie
    blondie

cybersis, I wondered about that assembly. I know JWs who live in Hawaii and they are always talking about how much it costs them to travel between islands. Tourists don't know that because they get a deal through the airlines. What a nightmare. Glad to be out.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit