Pioneer Takes Baby Out In Zero Wind Chill

by rocketman 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**I never understood why they couldn't take a day off when it's that cold.

That's easy!

They get an extra big feather in their hat that they will proudly wear in the New Order! Prestige booster!

I had a personal cutoff point. When it reached 15 degrees, I would not go out or bring any kids out in FS. I also stayed off the roads for meetings when the weatherman said to keep off the roads tonight. I really didn't trust in Jehovah to keep nutjobs safe in bad weather conditions.

It's -11 here now and I'm so happy that I don't HAVE to go anywhere!

If I saw something like that (someone with a stroller out doing THAT at that temp) I would make a call to the right authorities and ask them how they feel about it. A little one can't tell you when his/her fingers are numb or they can't feel their little toes. It made me upset just reading your post!

Annie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**"Nonsense!" she yelled, "that's no reason for missing service, dress the child in warm clothes and I'll see you at the Hall!!"

Yeah, there's always the diehards. Never mind that the child doesn't FEEL well, probably coughing and has a runny nose----could have or develop a fever, not to mention spreading germs all over the whole car group....the whole thing is ludicrous!

I'm glad you didn't go----some folks have NO common sense!

hugs,

Annie

• avishai
    avishai

CALL CHILDREN'S SERVICES!!!!! THIS IS ABUSE!!!

• heatherg
    heatherg

Glad you saw that and not me, I would've given him a piece of my mind. Poor kid, that's child abuse! My parents used to do the same thing to my brothers and I. No matter the weather, we had to preach the good news. When I became a teenager and could drive, I'd offer to drive and take along some friends on Sat. morning. We'd just drive around all morning listening to the radio, or go to one of our houses and hang out til noon.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

CALL CHILDREN'S SERVICES!!!!! THIS IS ABUSE!!!
    ditto...

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

You're correct. Not at all surprising.

Up North, in the New England area where I lived prior, they took the babies/children in below zero weather all the time! Poor kids!!!

DY

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I had to respond to this because it's 6 degrees here today.

My husband and sister in laws tell me stories about going out in service on snow days. It seems it was expected if you weren't in school then you would go out in service.

I can't even imagine it.

I almost froze this morning pumping gas!

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

A baby doesn't have enough body mass to keep themselves warm even if they are wrapped up. The man was also standing and waving his arms, which produces more heat, the baby wrapped up or not is idle. Not only was he putting the child at risk for sickness, but also hypothermia, and there is the risk of death.

Here are some quotes off websites about it

"Infants lose body heat more easily than adults; additionally, infants can't make enough body heat by shivering. Infants less than one year old should never sleep in a cold room. Provide warm clothing and a blanket for infants and try to maintain a warm indoor temperature."

If an baby isn't supposed to be in a cold room INDOORS, why should they be outside like that?

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I must say, though, that the babies/children I've seen out in cold weather have been very well bundled up.

DY

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

aviahai beat me to the punch.........but that is what I'd do.........make a phone call and make known what could happen to that child.

Elsewhere said........

But he's gotta make his quotta of time or he will loose his position in the congregation!!!

So sad......but with the mindset we were indoctrinated with........this is so true!

Freedom from religion is wonderful.

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit