Pioneer Takes Baby Out In Zero Wind Chill

by rocketman 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• rocketman
    rocketman

Though I haven't been in the mood to discuss jws lately, I had to post this one. It's a keeper and shows how fanatical they can get:

On my way to work in our city's downtown area I regularly see a pioneer walking up and down the street, holding up his magazines. No biggie, but what I saw today takes the cake:

He was walking while pushing a baby in a stroller. This morning's temperature was 10 degrees F, with wind chills well below zero. This is one of the coldest mornings we've had this winter.

I was absolutely flabbergasted that this guy could take a baby out in service in such weather. He had one of those plastic shields over the stroller, but unless he installed heating in there, in my view he was putting the child at risk, if not of hypothermia, of at least getting sick.

Unreal, but then again, for a jw, not all that surprising.

• JH
    JH

Here it was -15F this morning not counting the wind chill factor. Witnesses go out anyways at that temperature. I never understood why they couldn't take a day off when it's that cold.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

But he's gotta make his quotta of time or he will loose his position in the congregation!!!

(Mark 9:43) . . ."And if ever your hand makes you stumble, cut it off; it is finer for you to enter into life maimed than with two hands to go off into Ge·hen´na, into the fire that cannot be put o. . .

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

can you spell f-a-n-a-t-i-c?

• Special K
    Special K

I never understood that either Rocketman.

I certainly never did that with my children.

Special K

• JH
    JH

I remember going out in the service at sub zero temperatures, and often catching a cold. At that temperature, all I could do was mumble a few frozen words.

can you spell f-a-n-a-t-i-c?

F freezing my

A ass off

N nobody answers

A anyways

T taking a break

I inside where it is warm and

C cosey

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow
    I was absolutely flabbergasted that this guy could take a baby out in service in such weather. He had one of those plastic shields over the stroller, but unless he installed heating in there, in my view he was putting the child at risk, if not of hypothermia, of at least getting sick.

Yes, what an imbecile father imo.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I forgot to add an important detail - it was 8:00 AM when I saw him. The jws in my area are normally not out there until 9:30-10:00. But this guy normally is out earlier, and today, unwisely on his part, was no exception.

• willyloman
    willyloman

We used to live in a cold climate and one December the CO was visiting, so of course we all had to show up for service on Saturday. It had snowed for a few days and then cleared up, which meant the temperatures plummeted. The morning we were out in service it couldn't have been more than 10 or 15 degrees F.

I wound up in the car with the CO and we parked at the curb and got out and walked to the first door. A householder appeared and I attempted to speak but my lips were numb from the cold! The householder shook her head and said, "Why don't you guys take the day off?" The door closed and we looked at each other. We shuffed off to the next door; nobody answered. By then neither of us could move our mouths to speak so without a word we walked back to the car and turned up the heater. Finally, the CO said, "Is there anyone we could visit?" Conveniently, there was a sister who lived a block away, one of those chronically ill types who had some mysterious ailment that kept her from most meetings and service but disappeared when it came time to go shopping or to the movies. She asked us in, we sat by the warm wood stove, and she poured coffee. We sat for an hour and talked about her illness. The CO assured her that "in the new system" her ailments would be fully cured, and weren't we all looking forward to that.

She ran out of coffee and the four of us got up to leave. It was no warmer outside. We drove around the territory to various "return visits" (none of whom were home) until it was close enough to noon to take the CO back to the KH.

Showing up no matter what was a mark of true dedication and "spirituality." Having been seen at the hall, the vast majority of those "out in service" that morning had not gone door to door, but made a stab at some RVs and then headed for the coffee shop and home, anywhere to get out of the cold. But you can bet there were a few whack jobs knocking on doors that morning, depending on the makeup of their car group. See, it's all about appearances.

• sistaintheback
    sistaintheback

A couple of years ago an older pioneer sister approached me at a meeting and asked me if we could have a standing date every Wednsday to go out in service together. She needed the hours and I didn't get out much because I had 3 small children. I agreed even though I was dreading the whole thing. We did this for about a year. But one Wednsday it was very cold and one of my kids had a cold. So I called her and explained that I couldn't go out today. "Nonsense!" she yelled, "that's no reason for missing service, dress the child in warm clothes and I'll see you at the Hall!!" I wasn't about to drag my sick kid out in the cold to knock on doors! I had my husband to call her back and tell her we weren't going, I was too chicken to call her back myself. (giggle)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit