Who here went to Pioneer School?

by LDH 63 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

When? Where? And most importantly, as we all know that this education in the life saving work is SECOND TO NONE, have you placed this grand accomplishment on your resume?

I went in Baldwinsville NY around 1988.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I went here in Dallas in 1982. I've still got the book somewhere.

Chris

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

They weren't accepting women when I graduated from highschool in the late 70s. It was a big disappointment to me mainly because the reason they gave was that women were going back to bethel, and marrying the men and then leaving with them. LOL

Probably for the best, anyhow.

Jean

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Duh, read your original post as bethel not pioneer school. Must be getting old. I'll leave the post up though, since thinking about it still makes me laugh... :)

Jean

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I went in summer of 1985.

Woodland Hills California. I probably still have the 'Illuminators' book on one of my shelves.

My employer at the time closed the office so I could attend.

I never put it on my resume. Never anything about JW on my resume...

-Aude.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

August 0f 1993 to Texarkana, TX..loved the time away from my family and met some pretty cool people. Of interest is that a substantial portion of my class, at least a third, are inactive or disfellowshipped. I was the little lnow it all in the class..you know the one..the teenager that thinks he's already an elder ...gawd I wish I could change that...

• Mulan
    Mulan

I went in 1992 in Seattle. Disappointing. It was a huge perk for being a pioneer, but not at all what I thought it would be. I lived about 20 miles away, and our congregation had several pioneers that went that year. We car pooled.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hi Lisa,

UK 1978. At the time I throughly enjoyed it. It was during that school that the teacher, a CO who later went 'apostate' first dropped the anti 607BCE bombshell.

I was just looking at the photograph pasted in my book and noted that of the twenty-six who attended the school, eighteen are no longer JW's. Some 'Illuminators' we made.....lol

HS

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

[raises hand] Winter of 1980, when John Lennon was shot. I really enjoyed pioneer school because I have always enjoyed studying, and I threw myself into those two weeks. Hey, I was a real heart & soul believer back then! But when I left I remember thinking (I had just turned 25) that I was still living with my parents because as a pioneer I couldn't afford to have an apartment AND pioneer too, and I was scared to death that in five years I'd be 30 and still living at home. I started to make noises about moving out, and my mother's reaction was: "Where have I failed?" Apparently I was raised to live at home my whole life and take care of my mother -- God forbid I should have a life of my own, and of course I'd be cursed forever if I quit pioneering for the mere selfish reason of getting my own place. Argument after argument, always over a meal, until I couldn't eat without throwing it back up.

Somewhere in all that I met a young pioneer stud who, after two years and countless episodes of throwing up the food he bought me, married me and took me away from all that. And we are still living happily ever after, especially since we're no longer pioneers.

Nina

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

1989, in Ohio somewhere, I forget now. I enjoyed it, met alot of cool people. My favorite circuit overseer, Gary Carey, was one of the conductors.

I haven't kept up with them all, but I know at least three are no longer JW's.

And I still have the book somewhere. Do they sell well on Ebay?

Another side point, this was when I discovered that the numbers of partakers doesn't steadily decrease each year, as I had assumed it did. I was all set to make a comment about it the next day, but when I did the research the numbers just didn't support it. It's a shame I didn't dig deeper back then!

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit