First post

by maidden 46 Replies latest jw friends

• maidden
    maidden

But weirdly enough, I've been mentioned here before, when one of my posts at LJ (about whether or not subjection to the organization is relative) caused a bit of a war among ljjws. I found this forum googling my username, actually.
    I was wondering if anyone here has any theories as to why it is that, the more meetings we skip, the less we want to go. If we're missing our spiritual meals, shouldn't we be getting more hungry?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Welcome!

What is LJ and what are ljjws?

I think that the more meetings a JW skips, the closer she gets to normality. Everyone likes being normal better than being forced to be wierd.

AlanF

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Hi Maidden,

Welcome !

I think the less indoctrination we are exposed to...the less of a hold it has on us. The WTS likes to keep the flock SO busy with meetings, service, Bible studies, studying for each meeting and parts on the meetings...they have NO personal time. That translates into mind-numbing obedience. The more time away...our brains calm down and have time to reflect on how we are living our lives.

I'm a slow-learner. It took me 35 years to realize the KH is a bad place to "eat." In fact it's deadly.

My Mom died. No blood transfusion. She needed Oxygen.

WT said, "No."

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Hi maidden! Welcome to the forum.

I agree totally with Alan's idea of coming closer to normal by not attending and more specifically with what Rabbit said about stepping away from the indoctrination - our brains start to function normally the longer we refrain from the indoctrination. We find the wording and phrasing in the literature is quite unusual, once we really look at it objectively.

I also think of breaking a bad habit or even an addiction - the longer we refrain, the less our body or mind crave it, imo.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

My Mom died. No blood transfusion. She needed Oxygen.

Rabbit - I'm so sorry - the exact same thing happened to my mom.

• glitter
    glitter

Maidden: I was wondering if anyone here has any theories as to why it is that, the more meetings we skip, the less we want to go. If we're missing our spiritual meals, shouldn't we be getting more hungry?

Brilliant question! (Welcome, btw)

I think it's to do with how much pressure there is one meeting nights to get dinner, get ready and get out of the door, which it's just so much easier to have a quiet evening in, or *fun* evening out (or vice versa!)

Going back the first time after missing some weeks was always strange, aside from people coming up and saying "We missed you these last few meetings" (code for "Why haven't you been here? Why? Why?") and bringing the wrong WT, it just felt *strange* how everyone and everything was. It was back to normal the next week, but I did used to notice a difference when going back - the bus journey and walks just felt so much longer thinking about and going back that first time.

Alan F:

LJ = Live Journal, an online diary site.

LJJW = I'd assume a shared online diary for JWs.

• glitter
    glitter

Oh gosh, Rabbit and seeitallclearlynow - so sorry. :(

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:I was wondering if anyone here has any theories as to why it is that, the more meetings we skip, the less we want to go. If we're missing our spiritual meals, shouldn't we be getting more hungry?

LOL, that's great! Welcome to the forum. I'm going to have to present that question to some JW's; thanks.

• maidden
    maidden

Ljjws is actually just an acronym I use for the jws in lj, as opposed to the real-life jws, with which I have a pretty different relationship.

Rabbit and seeitallclearlynow, so sorry about your moms... I don't even like to think about something happening to mine (she's the only other jw in the family, and she's just a student. I have an uncle who used to be a jw, but is disfellowshipped).

I should be in a meeting right now. I had every intention of going, all through the day, even if it was just to see my friends and set something up for the weekend. The clock slowly but surely made its way closer and closer to the time I should've gone and I simply couldn't bring myself to leave... *sigh*

• prophecor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit