Not Too Bad A Cult.... In Comparison To Others. Let's Talk About Cults.

by Doubtfully Yours 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

The point was to talk about other similar or worse cults/religions/organizations than the WTBTS.

DY

• upside/down
    upside/down

144001- go easy on DY..

I think he's just trying to get posted on the "most cynical" thread.

And doin a damn fine job at that!

u/d

• PinTail
    PinTail

Now that sounds like my kind of cult.

Not really I see those poor girls all the time, and the old (B) they are with are fat and slobbery.

Shane

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Easy now, easy....

No hating or bitterness in this thread, y'all hear?!

Oh, and by the way, it's 'she'. DY is a she.

Love y'all!

DY

Upside:

Didn't mean to convey hostility. DY has made plenty of good posts here.

DY: sorry if I offended you.

• avishai
    avishai

True, Noone made me drink Kool-aid, nor did I have to kill myself for the aliens to pick me up and I didn't have the government come and blow me up like the branch dividians, so I guess it is a nicer cult than most.
    Nope. With no blood transfusions they kill as many as waco or heavens gate every month. As many as Jonestown a year. At least.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

DY

The point was to talk about other similar or worse cults/religions/organizations than the WTBTS.

How do you get any worse than killing murdering children, by not letting them have a blood transfusion?

D Dog

• codeblue
    codeblue

Well, according to my "therapist" (who I saw for the first time this week and is an expert on "cults") says there is a very high suicde rate among teenage JW's.........

Now, that leads me to believe that JW's are more damaging that what most people think.

CodeBlue

• under74
    under74

While I think everyone is making some good points about JWs and I don't dispute them. I think that JWs have some benifits that others involved with cults haven't had. JWs don't live in a community/town/commune on their own. They generally live on the outside world, have normal jobs and contact (to some extent) with worldly people. In Waco and Jonestown it was dramatically different......especially Jonestown. I don't know if anyone here has ever listened to the tapes from Jonestown...but they're horrible. I've heard nothing like it in my life before. The psychological trauma inflected on the members was to an extreme to be reckoned with. Then for the survivors, some of whom lost forever everyone in their families, came back to the real world and still face ridicule for having been members (even if it wasn't a choice for them).

So...I guess what I'm saying is yes, Jws have many traits of a cult and it's destructive no matter what you call it, but at the same time JWs have access to the outside world. How many JWs ran through a jungle to avoid being forced to poison their children and themselves? How many have shot down a US senator because they were commanded to? I'm not saying that the people of Jonestown didn't also have some free will, but I will say it was taken a few steps further than the WTS.

If you'd like to listen to the tapes for yourself, you can order the ones the government has released at http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/ There are quite a lot of them.

The "death tape" is the worst.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

under 74

How many JWs ran through a jungle to avoid being forced to poison their children and themselves?

How many had to leave families and face shunnig, never to talk to them again, just because they wanted to save their child with a blood transfussion?

JWs don't live in a community/town/commune on their own. They generally live on the outside world, have normal jobs and contact (to some extent) with worldly people.
    Why is the suicide rate so high for exJWs, who have sinned and been shunned by their families? Sounds pretty cut off to me. When you take all hope away from someone, what's the difference? D Dog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit