Not Too Bad A Cult.... In Comparison To Others. Let's Talk About Cults.

by Doubtfully Yours 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

I agree that there are "worse" cults than the JW's, just as their are more inhumane ways to commit murder.

You know what would be kind of cool.... as their numbers start dropping more and more..... due to the rest of the world realizing their "cultish" policies......and in desperation to get new members..... if they would start going door to door saying:

"We are one of the best cults around. Look at our policies compared to the Moonies, The Family, etc."

My mind just went off into never-never-land there for awhile..... teehee.

Brad

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

There's this lady in my place of work who goes to a Baptist church. Wouldn't you know that if she misses church they call her and inquire why, and she has to give them 10% of her hard earned money to be with the 'IN' crowd and have certain privileges, like participating in some church presentations.

At their meetings they have food for members, but this food is cooked by the members themselves. And they have as many if not more meetings and longer hours than the JWs.

Oh Gosh, when put in perspective, I still feel the WTBTS is not too bad a cult. I'd absolutely hate to have to give 10% of my earnings. No way!!!!!!!!!

DY

• blondie
    blondie
    People can be so cold.
    They'll hurt you and desert you.
    Well they'll take your soul if you let them.
    Oh yeah, but don't you let them.
  • FairMind
    FairMind

Yea Blondie! That's what it is all about, staying free to make one's own choices. Amen.

FM

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

All these things are bad, but, what coud be worse than this, if you are one of the kids that die, without a blood transfusion?

"In former times thousands of youths died for putting God first. They are still doing it, only today the drama is played out in hospitals and courtrooms, with blood transfusions the issue."
    Awake! - May 22, 1994, p.2 (Official Jehovah's Witness publication)
    These JW kids died prematurely - do you know why?

D Dog

• under74
    under74

Children of God/The Family has had trouble for years. rickross.com has tons of newspaper articles on them. "The Mo Letters" are goddam crazy. I'd say it's a 9 1/2 on the cult meter. With People's Temple being THE 10.

You know River and Joaquin Pheonix's family were in Children of God for a while.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Dustin:

And those are all good reasons never to join a religion again.

That has to be the best example of black & white, kneejerk, JW/cultlike-type thinking I've seen in a long while.
    Thanks for the satire, it made my morning

DY:Whilst I appreciate that some religions can be hardline, and some Baptist churches are fundamentalist (not all), I fail to see how that makes that church a cult.

A number of churches encourage tithing (can you blame them?), but I've not heard of it being compulsory in anything but the Mormons.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

DY

Wouldn't you know that if she misses church they call her and inquire why

That's a bad thing?

I must be attending a cult, because if I'm not there on Sunday, they wonder if I'm OK. Does that mean I work for a cult, because they call to see why I'm not there? Does that mean my softball team is a cult if they call to see where I am? Wow dummy me, I thought that they really cared.

D Dog

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Cult, religion, whatever, I'm sticking to my opinion that in comparisson to many, the WTBTS routine is not that bad.

Inconvenient as hell, for the type of life I want to lead, but not so bad at all.

DY

Doubtfully: What is the point of your thread? That folks should not think poorly of the JW cult because there are worse cults out there? OK, by the same logic, a family with kids should not have a problem with a child molestor living next door to them, since it could be worse; you could have a serial killer living next door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit