"So help me God"

by onacruse 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

Ditto what sixy said (did I just say that???? )

If people plan on lying they will do so regardless of the words uttered or not....and visa versa.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    Gumby wrote: ..."some"... feel these oaths made on the bible are pointless
    Six wrote: I'd have no problem with saying it in an oath. It simply does.not.matter.

I guess this is my point. It's a generic enough statement that the VAST majority of people (with or even without religious beliefs of some description) have no problem with it. I suspect that most atheist/agnostics couldn't care less. Who does that leave us with, getting their knickers in a bunch???

Where do you stop the changes?
    I don't think that minority rights should be trampled on, but I also don't think that they should be imposed on the majority, if that makes sense.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

"I swear to you, then," said MacIan, after a pause. "I swear to you
    that nothing shall come between us. I swear to you that nothing
    shall be in my heart or in my head till our swords clash together.
    I swear it by the God you have denied, by the Blessed Lady you
    have blasphemed; I swear it by the seven swords in her heart.
    I swear it by the Holy Island where my fathers are, by the honour
    of my mother, by the secret of my people, and by the chalice
    of the Blood of God."

The atheist drew up his head. "And I," he said, "give my word."

- from The Ball and The Cross by G. K. Chesterton

• upside/down
    upside/down

No offense, but that is a very Dubbish way to look at things.

The "spirit" of the oath (no matter what the words say) is ARE YOU GOING TO TELL THE TRUTH?

Either you are or you aren't. Cultural leanings are the only reason that verbage is used. In any culture the "oath" is meant to tug on our human conscience (not to damn you to hell). Remember humanity wasn't always as dishonorable as it is now. There was a time when a hand shake or someones word was "enough" to seal a deal. When a man honored his word NO MATTER WHAT, and it was a PERSONAL and public shame if he didn't. That was before you had lawyers convincing you otherwise. Now we "admire" those who can "get away with it". There was a time when dishonesty robbed you of peace, you couldn't sleep till things were made right- don't see much of that anymore. Now it's the wicked that rest easy.

I just wonder- Do you believe that if people "swear on a stack of Bibles" (the same Bible that says not to swear by God and that says let your yes be yes and your no no), that that makes what they say true ? That's "faith".

I think we all know how to do "the right thing".

u/d

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I'd have no problem with saying it in an oath. It simply does.not.matter.

I agree. It's no biggie.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Xena,

:Ditto what sixy said (did I just say that???? )

Just say three Hell Mary's and you'll be absolved. :P~

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Craig, I think I understand what you're getting at. With the disgraceful actions and blatant lies of our "most trusted servants" over the past 30 years who have taken oath after oath after oath, calling on "god", "In God We Trust" yet there is no trust in god, there is no fear of retribution, there is no honor in telling the truth.

With the issue of taking god out of the pledge of allegiance (which was added in the cold war), the 10 Commandments in the Capitol Building, and now The Tree in Pioneer Place instead of The Christmas Tree.... It seems a violation of the separation of church and state.

So why be bothered with it?

Tradition. (Think Fiddler On The Roof) For a few of the average Joe's and Jill's out there it still holds weight. (Seems like there is a higher number of Moral Minority folk these days, possibly they are now the Moral Majority?) To others, none. No biggie.

Obviously to the President and his cabinet, they have a directive from god, so the only onus they have is to make sure this "directive" is carried out, and secondarily to make sure they don't look bad in public light.

Personally I'd say it, mean it in my own way, as I take any judicial hearing seriously, and be done with it. That's my own personal honour.

Now Gumby. I'd take his legs and wrap them around his neck.

Hugs

Brenda

• Carmel
    Carmel

...racist pig....

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    ...racist pig....

Who? Gumby?

• gumby
    gumby
    Now Gumby. I'd take his legs and wrap them around his neck.

Doncha think we otta at least shake hands before you do?

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit