"So help me God"

by onacruse 35 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Oops, Um, erm, ... sorry Gumby, didn't realize you were listening.

(you probably don't want to know what I did with the gumby and pokey I had when I was a child...)

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Life is not a Star Wars episode, so I don't try to live as if it were.

a total classic!

• onacruse
    onacruse

So, LT (not that I'm picking on you ):

In a so-called Christian country, if it adds one jot to the truthfulness of the testimony of some, surely it's worth it?
    Is there anything comparable that you might like to exchange it with??

How about simple honesty?

"I speak the truth, because, and only because, I choose to speak the truth."

When has an oath along the lines of "as God is my witness" ever had one consequence?

When has a violator of such an oath ever been punished at the hand of the God to which the oath was expressed?

The oath is worthless.

What matters is the measure of personal integrity.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Craig:

I wrote: if it adds one jot to the truthfulness...

I don't know what part of this you missed or ignored, but this was the crux of what I was saying. For some it adds an extra depth of sobriety. That doesn't negate whatever inate honesty folks have to begin with.

How about simple honesty?

That simple statement sums up the naivity of the whole thread, IMHO.

When has an oath along the lines of "as God is my witness" ever had one consequence?

Well, I couldn't put a statistic on it, but I suspect in days gone past it had a consequence, otherwise they wouldn't have introduced it!

When has a violator of such an oath ever been punished at the hand of the God to which the oath was expressed?

I couldn't put a statistic on that, either, but I see that your personal bias is colouring that particular argument.
    For all you know EVERY case could be punished!

The oath is worthless.

In YOUR [biased] opinion.

I'll agree with that, as probably does everyone who would swear that oath with real meaning.

Lets just turn this to the situation with the WTS, for a moment. If someone was encouraged to "swear to Jehovah", do you think it might reduce attempts to lie, using "theocratic warfare"?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

And how could someone claim to have personal integrity if he is willing to swear an oath by a God he doesn't believe in?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Derek:
    Surely the issue is more about whether or not one is invited to swear in such a manner, or forced to?

I recall seeing an episode of "Crown Court" back in the late 70's, where this was an issue. It piqued my interest because I'd never considered it before, especially from the perspective of a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit