"So help me God"

by onacruse 35 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Craig, I know you're not an atheist, I hope no one thought I did.

If you want to get out of saying it, telling the court that it is "nonfunctional" might not be the right approach. I worked in the local court systems for 15 years. I think here they would excuse you from saying it if you made it clear that doing so would be "disturbing." There are a lot things about court procedures that are traditions and not functional.

I just suggest finding out what your options are before you are called to jury duty.

Love, Blondie

• gumby
    gumby

Now watch Craig start a bunch of trouble. If he keeps going on like this, pretty soon the current wording on our bills will change and they'll be taking all the bibles off the oath stand and all people will have to do is raise their right hand and say...."I promise.....cross my heart and hope to die".

What gets me is that somehow, saying those words, with your right hand raised, is supposed to add gravity and truthfulness to the testimony. Events of the last few years (and longer) prove that that oath means nothing, so why even have it?

Actually it's the same damn thing as people saying the pledge of allegiance to their country. It's just words that obscure their true feelings, yet somehow these rules are set as standards for people to abide by.

Gumby........* still plans a verbal attack on craigs nerdyass*

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Craig -

To me, saying those words does add gravity. It reminds me that I am accountable to God, as a higher court than the one I am testifying in at the moment. It assumes that my testimony is important enough to swear it on the higher power of God. I do not understand why, since you are not an athiest, and not a witness with twisted views, this bothers you. Just a question to gain perspective that I missed here.

Jeff

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Craig...I was doing some browsing on this topic and came across http://www.positiveatheism.org/mail/eml8773.htm . It is from an atheist forum, but actually was very interesting and some valid points. Thought you may be interested.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Craig:

What gets me is that somehow, saying those words, with your right hand raised, is supposed to add gravity and truthfulness to the testimony. Events of the last few years (and longer) prove that that oath means nothing, so why even have it?

As Jeff attests (swears), to some it DOES add gravity. In a so-called Christian country, if it adds one jot to the truthfulness of the testimony of some, surely it's worth it?
    Is there anything comparable that you might like to exchange it with??

I don't wear knickers.

That's not what Gumby told me

• gumby
    gumby
    to some it DOES add gravity. In a so-called Christian country, if it adds one jot to the truthfulness of the testimony of some, surely it's worth it?

Some....that's the key LT. On the other hand..."some" that disregard the bible as gods word of truth or do not believe in the government god they are under, feel these oaths made on the bible are pointless....yet the government requires it. They feel it's an attack on their freedom of religion/believe.

Gumby*who don't give a damn about what money has written on it....as long as he has plenty of it*

• Mulan
    Mulan

I testified in court two or three years ago, for a custody hearing, and was sworn in. I never had to say those words. I had a choice of books to place my hand on (the Bible and a dictionary I think................no kidding) and just swore to tell the truth, the whole truth, etc. "so help me God" were not part of it.

• blondie
    blondie

Mulan, that is why it is good to call the court and find out what the procedure is. Sounds like the state of Washington is flexible, probably Oregon is too.

Blondie

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'd have no problem with saying it in an oath. It simply does.not.matter.

Life is not a Star Wars episode, so I don't try to live as if it were.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I'm with Six........ I would say it and be done with it. I would rather not spend an extra 5 minutes or hours on a battle with the courts over just promising to tell the truth.

One thing I never thought of though, can you imagine if someone got up there and answered, "NO, my intent is to lie."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit