Conti Appeal Preview - Oral Argument Jan 14

by Chaserious 111 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cofty
    cofty

NittyGritty - Why are you trying to distract attention from the Watchtower's disregard for child welfare?

Saying that parents should educate their children about predators is to state the obvious.

Jehovah's Witnesses have a significant problem with pedophiles in their midst. They have repeatedly shown more concern for their reputation than for child protection. They treat victims like enemies.

It is starting to catch up with them. I hope it ends up costing them billions.

• Kanon
    Kanon
    Nitty-Gritty- The issue is the fact that the elder body knew this man had molested his step-daughter, then did not have safeguards in place to protect the youth.

If they had zero knowledge of his past and he violated someone it would be a tragedy but ultimately not their responsibility.

With this case and many others in the courts right now the problem is that the body's of elders and in some cases even the branch had full knowledge that individuals in the congregation were paedophiles, but kept everything hush hush.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

So, Nitty Gritty.. 

Is your argument that pedos are so sneaky that even police can't recognize them, therefore parents should explain "good touch/bad touch" better?? 

How are children supposed to protect themselves from pedophiles, if pedos are as deceptive as you say?!? If the police and Elders with Holy Spirit can't sniff them out, what can a child do? 

Whats your solution? Should the GB publish more articles for inept parents??

DD

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@ Kanon

Yes, I agree with you. Although they (elders) assumed Kendricks' was a "one time" felony, and they believed he was truly repentant, and they warned him about getting near any children, and they warned him they would be watching him, and they thought the case was closed, and obviously they were wrong and their "safeguards" were not enough. IF they had warned the parents of minor children in the congregation, then what happened to Candace in all probability would not have happened. (And if despite this, Kendrick would have still managed to molest her, then it would have been a tragedy, and the court would in all probability have held the parents responsible and not WTS). So yes, I agree with you.

But this scenario, and the whole Candace Conti case demonstrates that it would be the "easier" option (from the point of view of the WBT) to warn the parents because then the responsibility rests squarely with them, and is no longer the responsibility of WTS. So I don't see the logic of accusing the WTS of being hush hush only to avoid lawsuits. ....because as demonstrated, the opposite would be true.

• sir82
    sir82

@Nitty-Gritty,

How do you know so much about what those particular elders assumed, believed, & did?

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

Did the elders make sister Conti go out in field service with the accused to show her willingness to forgive?  If so, why didn't the lawyers bring this out?  Publishers are typically "assigned" to cargroups by the elder/MS that take out the group.

• Kanon
    Kanon
    As for the elders directly assigning her I would not be surprised if they never did. From halls I have been in elders rarely took out any groups with the exception of an odd Saturday. Person taking out the group was most likely some MS or random brother who would have had no knowledge of the person past.
  • Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@ DATA- DOG

Of course it is a very complex situation and I am in no position to suggest a perfect solution as I am nobody compared with the experts, especially when the experts have no fool proof and perfect solution either. But even the experience with Kendrick's stepdaughter, who spoke up immediately after the incidence, showed it worked to an extend as it prevented her from being abused again. Pedophiles are cowards, and they will only "work with" victims of whom they are sure they will not expose them. So yes, helping children to be aware of the existence of pedophiles does a lot towards their protection. Of course this only works if the parents are doing this. That is why I said the situation is very complex because it has to take into account the existence of dysfunctional families, who do not do their job as well as other parents. Educating parent and children works well in cases of where no one is aware of a pedophile because they have not molested anyone yet. However once a pedophile has been identified, other parents should be informed of the potential danger. And this is where the Elders of Freemont and WTS failed.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

In my opinion, the moment the WT/elders take on the responsibility of "watching" these known pedophiles they become responsible for every child in that congregation! 

Now, if they went to each parent and warned them against this pedophile and the parents ignored that warning and allowed their child to be around such pedophile...then, you can blame the parent. 

How can we protect our children if we don't know who to protect them from?? 

Yes, we all know to teach our children about good touch, bad touch. We all know to check out the sex offender lists in our neighborhoods. But we Don't know what brother elder knows about what brother pedophile tells him in the back room. 

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@truthseekeriam

My opinion too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit