Conti Appeal Preview - Oral Argument Jan 14

by Chaserious 111 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• flipper
    flipper
    SCENIC VIEWER - Good information you bring out from the elders manual. The fact that the WT Society would use the expression regarding child molesters in the congregation, " the sin may involve past child abuse , and this would LIKELY disqualify him for MANY YEARS " indicates definitely that a JW child molester MAY be able to serve as an elder if enough years went by.  Too bad WT leaders cannot put in there that being a child molester would ALWAYS FOREVER disqualify a JW man from being an elder again. But then they'd have to expose any higher ups, C.O.'s D.O.'s or GB members who serve right now who may have committed child abuse in the past. Poor them. Notice the sarcasm
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Special relationship: The WT says this about it "Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and be submissive, for they are keeping watch over your souls.”HEBREWS 13:17."  

In response to our submission, they are supposed to be keeping watch over our LIVES (their def. of soul). They said "The Bible says that the elders “are keeping watch over your souls.” This means that the elders want to help each person in the congregation to stay close to Jehovah. So they are quick to help a brother or a sister who is about to make, or has already made, a bad decision." They are supposed to help folks to keep them from even MAKING a bad decision.  It goes on to say, "  They protect their brothers from those who want to lead them away from Jehovah. The apostle Peter warned that “false prophets” and “false teachers” would try to get weak Christians to disobey Jehovah. (2 Peter 2:1, 14) Today, elders must give similar warnings when needed. The elders are wise Christians who have experience in life. They were appointed as elders because they have shown that they clearly understand the Scriptures and are qualified to teach the truth from the Bible. (1 Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:9) Their maturity, balance, and Bible-based wisdom help them to give good direction to their brothers and sisters."   http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/ws20131115/obey-jehovahs-shepherds/#?insight[search_id]=1122f847-5085-4562-a50c-f6d5ec6919ee&insight[search_result_index]=4  

They didn't protect the abuser from himself and they sure didn't do anything to protect the spirituality of Candace or any child in the org. The thing is, they say that that is THEIR RELATIONSHIP-to protect the flock from those who would destroy them.  Child sexual abuse is known to be VERY destructive. They did nothing to protect those that they knew could be hurt by Kendrick though they claimed and still claim a special relationship. They should have directed all parents to steer their children clear of Kendrick and should have kept him out of congrgational activities that could expose him to them (I would refuse him entrance to the hall and rescind his Ordainded ministerial status permanently- but that's just me)

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

OH, SNAP!!! Sometimes the "facts" really hurt! 

• Gayle
    Gayle

Wilson Elser is a full-service law firm with over 750 attorneys in 26 offices throughout the United States.[2] Wilson Elser ranks among the top 100 law firms identified by The American Lawyer and is listed in the “Top 50” by The National Law Journal. With an office in London and a network of affiliate firms in France, Germany and Mexico, Wilson Elser provides legal advice and representation on a worldwide basis.

Just saw on the case docket this law firm ordered the CD of the Oral Arguments.  A large firm and working on advice/representation "worldwide."  I would guess there are many lawyers/firms watching this case. 

I saw on Wiki the Catholic Church had at least 3,000 abuse lawsuits in U.S. alone.  JWs may be only 1% or less of Catholics, that would be about an equivalent 30 lawsuits against WT.  Surely, the WT has that at least, past and current, and expectedly more coming soon.   Obviously, any JWs claiming they don't have this problem as bad as the Catholic Church are very wrong.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    Obviously, any JWs claiming they don't have this problem as bad as the Catholic Church are very wrong.

to Gayle!

Thanks for the information re the Wilson Elser law firm.  People that count are watching!

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Yes, Gayle from what I have read more than once is that the WTBTS has paid large "hush money' settlements to many victims of pedophilia over many years.

It's coming back to bite them now! karma.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Wilson Elser is a full-service law firm with over 750 attorneys in 26 offices throughout the United States.'

Wowie!  I've heard of a Mega Church before....but a Mega Law Firm!

WT legal no way in hale wants Wilson Elser and company looking over their shoulder or on their heels!

I love the thought of these mega lawfirms eye-balling the WTBTS!

• Chaserious
    Chaserious
    WT legal no way in hale wants Wilson Elser and company looking over their shoulder or on their heels!
    Wilson Elser is a defense law firm (as almost all mega-firms are), so they won't be filing any lawsuits.  Their interest in the case probably relates to a similar case that they are defending or thinking about taking on.  They are a well-known firm, though. 
    I saw on Wiki the Catholic Church had at least 3,000 abuse lawsuits in U.S. alone.  JWs may be only 1% or less of Catholics, that would be about an equivalent 30 lawsuits against WT.
    Have there been 30? I thought Irwin Zalkin's firm has a dozen or so, there's Candace Conti, of course, and then any others I was under the impression you could count on one hand.  If comparing apples to apples, 3,000 lawsuits against the Catholic Church only means filed lawsuits, not settlements prior to the filing of suit. 

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

flipper - "But then they'd have to expose any higher ups, C.O.'s D.O.'s or GB members who serve right now who may have committed child abuse in the past."

That'd potentially be a double kick to the WT's balls, actually.

If the number of alleged past offenders are as high as we suspect and were no longer able to hold their positions, the sudden dearth of "qualified brothers" would severely hamper the Org's ability to function internally.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

That'd potentially be a double kick to the WT's balls, actually.

If the number of alleged past offenders are as high as we suspect and were no longer able to hold their positions, the sudden dearth of "qualified brothers" would severely hamper the Org's ability to function internally.

I hadn't thought of this angle before.  This could be a significant factor in their refusal to comply with Zalkin's subpoena for their DB of child molesters - they don't want that list to make it to the public domain because many of the folks on it are elders/COs/etc.  Imagine someone setting up something like the sex offender DB for JWs.  That would cause quite a stir if only a small percentage of JWs stumbled upon the fact that there were child molesters working as elders in their congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit