Comments You Will Not Hear at the 1-16-05 WT Study (Abbreviated)

by blondie 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    Finally the c harteuse elephant sitting to the left of the pink one is prescription medication. Never mentioned as a problem by the WTS, this is pandemic escapism in JW Land. I know so many that live in a "fog of faith," just that little bit of anti-depressant seems to grease the skids of spiritual endurance.

Ezekial I totally agree...Just about all of my JW friends were on meds---some had tranquilizer addictions. At the time I thought they were just under pressure like everyone else in this "old system of things." I am not opposed to these medications for anyone who may need to use them at difficult times in their lives, but the percentages of use in JW land is way off the charts. If it is this way with medications I wonder what the percentages are with alcohol and JWs.

Thanks blondie...... Like you stated there really is no real inspiring information here, just a lot of repetition--enough to make you want to go home and take a drink! This mind numbing study may do more harm than good.

This whole article could have been condensed into a couple of sentences such as: It is wise and can even be beneficial at times to use alcohol in moderation, but know your limits. If you have a problem with over drinking you may want to consider seeking professional help. The end

cybs

• jgnat
    jgnat

I don't have much to say this week. This article is social commentary, not a bible study. It almost sounds like the kind of sermon one might hear in a United Church (not that there is anything wrong with that). This guilt-laden article full of loaded language makes me feel sorry for the JW alcoholic. Now, every time they fail to show enough self-discipline to walk away from a drink, they will be filled with ever more self-loathing, convinced they are neither worthy of service or a future paradise. I am not familiar with this addiction (thank goodness, my family has enough kooks!) but it seems to me that laying guilt and blame would only push the alchoholic further away from others and permanent help. Blondie, I believe this is the crux of the matter:

Notice there is never a mention of going to a doctor for help or to a counselor trained in handling issues with alcohol.

Sometimes it is not in what the WTBTS says, it is what they leave out.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Quote:

Deon Barlow of Sioux Falls, 38, said she was a Jehovah's Witness for only 1 1/2 years. She was recruited by a woman who came to her door "and caught me at a vulnerable time in my life." Barlow said she was abusing alcohol and her ex-husband was abusing her. She divorced, went into alcohol treatment, got the job Jehovah's Witnesses wanted her to -- working for them -- and went door-to-door 60 hours a month. When Barlow found out her
    brother was dying of AIDS, she asked to visit him. A church elder consented but frowned on it.

"My brother was detestable in God's eyes because he was gay," she said she was told. "So when I saw him, I treated him like dirt. To this day I regret that." Her brother has since died.

When she returned home, the woman who had recruited her found her drinking. The elders ruled the alcohol use and the visit to her brother were evidence enough to disfellowship her.

When contacted by telephone, the leader of Kingdom Hall in Gordon, Neb., where Barlow lived at the time, said he was not interested in talking and hung up.

Argus Leader, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Tuesday, Jan. 23, 1996
    Page 1

By CARSON WALKER
    Argus Leader Staff

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Hey VM44, was that Rutherford picture taken during Prohibition?

• VM44
    VM44

hi cyberguy,

"was that Rutherford picture taken during Prohibition?"

Wouldn't that be funny if it was? This picture of Rutherford and the keg of whatever (probably not Root Beer!) is easy to find on the internet. This particular one was at the freeminds.org site.

Does anyone know where this "Rutherford and the Keg Party" was first published? and when?

--VM44

• heathen
    heathen

They have got to be kidding with the alcohol leads to homosexuality assumption . I also wonder who all these people are that they keep quoting in their publications . I don't ever remember anyone I ever knew that was a dub confess sins like the stuff they quote . I'm always amazed how they equate the WTBTS with being the only sound voice for people dealing with problems and like some have said that alcoholism is a disease and needs to be treated by professionals . They really are a joke .

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I have noticed that gay people, who are conflicted about their role and their sexuality, often drink and use drugs. I guess that's true of everyone that is conflicted, but to be a gay JW would be horrible.

So maybe when a couple of gay Bethelites get drunk and make out; perhaps there has been a small epidemic of NPG's suddenly bolting for the door... or something... anyway, maybe that's why there is a mention of the homosexuality thing...

CZAR

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks Blondie for all your hard work and research...I guess the dubs must have a real need for this "Loving counsel"

In fact I have no serious issue with this article, apart from refs to a new world that is not coming. It is a little negative and fails to state the fact that dubs can and do enjoy alcohol. A person reading this for the first time could conclude that they are TT .

Re treatments like AA and others. I know of no reason why a dub should not do so. In my time as an elder I am sure it would not have been discouraged if necessary to help someone. The WT comment only says to be careful of any type of treatment, and that is true for all of us. Of course, opinions vary and I do not doubt that some have been put off teatment at some time..(Reminds me of a "Sister" who went to an anti-smoking group at the hospital and another "Sister" criticised her for turning to the world.. But the elders encouraged her to keep going if it was working)

Nb I do not read that '87 WT quote as saying that drink would make you homosexual. I says that drink can lower inhibitions which has been known to lead to sex. That is true. If one is that way inclined, then a gay encounter could result

Lets hope we get back to some doctrinal stuff next week..

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, Codeblue. Most JWs just regurgitate what is in the paragraphs. No independent thinking allowed.

Hi, VM

Also, didn't the article mention the use of wine during the Memorial?

I couldn?t find any mention of it. It would bring up a problem though for an anointed member who is an alcoholic. Even a taste is enough to push some "off the wagon." I remember a discussion on JWD where an anointed brother was forced to drink wine at the memorial. I?ll try to find that experience.

I?m sure the alcohol issues at the KH are not due to people drinking once a year at the memorial though.

As to the 1 Timothy 4:23, it wasn?t used this time, but I have heard it used emphasizing "a little wine." I live in a state where too many people drink too much, as college students and at sporting events, particularly. I think people find it hard in general to know that they don?t have to drink to the point of stupidity. That would be like eating till your so full you vomit.

Hey, Gary,

I remember this quote:

"A report from one European country indicates that at times
    some brothers and sisters arrive at the Kingdom Hall with a
    strong smell of alcohol on their breath."
    (The Watchtower Dec. 15, 1996, p. 29)

I was told by one European sister that many JWs routinely drink wine with their meals even before the meeting and she didn?t see anything wrong with that?..

I asked if people would show up at their job smelling of alcohol?she said of course not. When I asked her why not, she said because they have to be alert to do their job?.

It illustrates how hard it is to know how to handle alcohol, or how it handles you.

Hello, Goldminer,

the wife is working so I'm staying home.

Is your wife a JW? She works on Sunday and misses the meeting?

Hey cybersis,

At the time I thought they were just under pressure like everyone else in this "old system of things." I am not opposed to these medications for anyone who may need to use them at difficult times in their lives, but the percentages of use in JW land is way off the charts. If it is this way with medications I wonder what the percentages are with alcohol and JWs.

I think that the meds give some JWs personal permission to ease off. So many are under stress handling all the problems non-JWs do plus 5 meetings a week, the push to go in the field ministry, pre-study, and more. Alcohol is cheaper and you don?t need a prescription.

The worst problem drinkers have been elders and their families who are under the most pressure.

Good point, jgnat

Sometimes it is not in what the WTBTS says, it is what they leave out.

The WTS is guilty of the sin of omission very often. That is how they bury their doctrinal and prophetical errors.

Now, every time they fail to show enough self-discipline to walk away from a drink, they will be filled with ever more self-loathing, convinced they are neither worthy of service or a future paradise.

Don?t you know, jgnat, that the individual JW is always made to feel they are the cause of their problems. If someone is not talking to you at the KH, they say, "What did you say to them to make them do that?"

Heathen and Czar,

They have got to be kidding with the alcohol leads to homosexuality assumption

I interpreted that to mean that people can let down their guard when under the influence. But I do think they chose the "homosexual" angle because it is more scary to some people. There has been a problem with homosexual activity at Bethel over the years and the last time I heard of it was in the mid 80?s and alcohol was tied to it.

Bluesbrothers,

The WT comment only says to be careful of any type of treatment, and that is true for all of us. Of course, opinions vary and I do not doubt that some have been put off teatment at some time..

I?m glad that in your area not all elders discourage going to treatment. The problem is when even one elder expresses it, it can discourage the person who is at a difficult time in their life.

I have seen elders get up on the platform and flatly state that no JW needs to go outside the congregation for help regarding alcohol. I heard one say that these groups are religiously based?.making people think they would be DF?d if they participated in them. Remember I said that I have helped JWs for the last 20 years get help, trusting their doctor, examining these groups and seeing they are not religiously based. Don?t underestimate the damage one misinformed elder or ?mature? sister can do. It interesting to note that all the examples of people handling alcohol problems in the publications in the last 5 to 6 years, never mention treatment centers as an option. The person is always presented as having done it exclusively through prayer, study, meeting attendance, and field service. The non-JW alcoholic treatment groups I work, emphasize the need for a spiritual life but never, never tell you where or how to find it.

Blondie

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I laughed when i read that if "you have a drink problem" because of "another problem" Go to Loving Elders.

I knew a man who was an alcoholic to fight his compulsive transvestism. His drinking was seen as the problem, then when he started fighting the booze suicudal depression set in so he confided in one of these loving ones [bad move]

Cut to end of story. This elder on his death bed tells wife to inform other elders in cong of the "dressing up problem" in case of future problems. How loving of him. Of course soon the poor man is being ostracised and turns to the bottle for comfort.

In the truth a problem shared is not halved but gossiped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit