Comments You Will Not Hear at the 1-16-05 WT Study (Abbreviated)

by blondie 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

Comments You Will Not Hear at the 01 16 05 WT Study (December 1, 2004)

Review comments will be in black and parentheses ()

WT quotes from today?s WT

will be in red and quotes ""

Quotes from other sources

will be in blue

MAINTAIN A

BALANCED VIEW OF THE USE OF ALCOHOL

"Wine is a ridiculer, intoxicating liquor is boisterous, and everyone going astray by it is not wise."?Proverbs 20:1 NWT source

It isn't smart to get drunk!

Drinking makes a fool of you

and leads to fights?Proverbs 20:1

(Contemporary English Version)

www.biblegateway.com /cgi-bin/bible

Opening Comments

The last time the WTS addressed this topic in any depth was in a talk during the district convention in 2002 where the WTS spent 20 minutes on "Avoid the Snare of Alcohol Abuse" but no followup article.

What is the definition of "balanced" according to the WTS?

What is the WTS true position on outside treatment sources for alcoholism?

How do they indicate this directly and indirectly?

What is the difference between drunkenness and alcoholism?

START OF ARTICLE

Paragraphs 1,2

Wine and other alcoholic beverages like vegetation, bread, and oil, are fine provisions from God.

An enjoyable gift is good only when it is used properly.

How much is too much?

"Going Astray" by Alcohol?How?

Paragraphs 3-6

The WTS starts out with this encouraging reference to the OT:

In ancient Israel, a son who was an unrepentant glutton and a drunkard was to be stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

What if this was the law today at the KH? How many people would have to be stoned each week?

How many times does an elder have to be charged with DWI before he is removed as an elder? How many times does a JW have to show up at the KH with alcohol on their breath? Or at the meeting for field service?

If a brother/sister drink two 6-packs of beer every evening is that a problem. I knew a brother who was told that as long as he did it on nonmeeting nights and didn?t drive, it was okay.

Clearly, drinking to the point of drunkenness is condemned in the Scriptures.

A drunkard?may also be less inhibited in expressing perverse thoughts and desires that are normally suppressed.

Is this what they are alluding to?

w87 11/1 p. 18 Are You Remaining Clean in Every Respect? ***

If alcoholic beverages are to be served, do so under supervision and in moderation. "Wine is a ridiculer," and under its influence, some brothers have dropped their moral guard or awakened slumbering weaknesses. (Proverbs 20:1) Thus, two young ministers engaged in homosexual acts after overindulging in alcohol.

What if one uses alcohol but is careful not to drink to the point of being visibly drunk?

To think that such a practice is harmless is to engage in a form of self-deception.

Gradually, progressively, one may develop a dependency on alcohol.

Drinking does not have to reach the level of drunkenness before it makes a person drowsy and lazy?physically as spiritually. What if Jehovah?s day catches him in such a condition?

In these statements are some valid points of concern about drunkenness. The question is does the WTS or the body of elders actually pay attention to how certain individuals are dealing with alcohol in their lives? Do they have the love and courage to "confront" someone with the view of helping the individual rather than worry about the reputation of the congregation? And Jehovah?s day is the least of their worries.

What Alcohol Abuse Can Lead To

Paragraphs 7-12

What are the dangers the WTS points to:

Cirrhosis of the liver, alcohol hepatitis, and such neural disorders as delirium tremens. Prolonged misuse of alcohol can also lead to cancer, diabetes, and some diseases of the heart and the stomach.

"Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in God?s fear."?2 Corinthians 7:1.

Alcohol abuse can mean wasted income, even loss of employment.

In the United States alone, tens of thousands die and hundreds of thousands are injured every year in alcohol-related traffic accidents.

Can you reason with a drunk using statistics?

Immoderate drinking hurts people not only physically but also spiritually?

(Quote from publication by the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse?but no title or page number provided by the WTS..nothing on Google).

"When someone has a drink, the alcohol is absorbed through the digestive system into the bloodstream and reaches the brain quickly. It begins to slow down the parts of the brain that control thinking and emotion. The person feels less inhibited, freer."

We are more likely to ?go astray,? to take liberties, and to be exposed to many temptations.

Is the WTS seeing more and more disfellowshippings tied to drunkenness? Why are so many JWs escaping into alcohol and prescription drug abuse?

A Christian would certainly want to avoid having reputation as a heavy drinker.

That?s correct, hide what you are like the WTS does. Appearance is more important than substance.

What if one Christian?s lack of moderation in drinking stumbled a fellow believer, perhaps a new disciple?

That?s right, play the guilt card. Shouldn?t they be more concerned about why the person is getting drunk in the first place?

And now a threat that is rarely used and the "drunks" know it:

Overdrinking can also result in loss of privileges in the congregation.

Not to be overlooked is the conflict that alcohol abuse can cause within the family.

If you are expecting more to be developed on that in this article, guess again.

Avoid the Dangers?How?

Paragraphs 13-16

A key to avoiding the dangers of alcohol abuse is knowing where to draw the line, not between overindulgence and drunkenness, but between moderation and overindulgence.

No strict rule about how many drinks are too many. Each one must personally know his limit and stay within that limit.

How, through trial and error. There aren?t any medical ways to determine what is too much?

http://www.alcoholscreening.org/

Any amount of alcohol that unduly impairs your judgment and dulls your thinking ability is too much for you personally.

In some situations, even one drink may be one too many?a pregnant woman..refrain from drinking in the presence of someone who has had a problem with alcoholism or whose conscience disapproves of drinking?

Therefore, avoid drinking alcoholic beverages just before attending Christian meetings, when sharing in the ministry, and when caring for other spiritual responsibilities.

You would think that the above is a no-brainer, but when people are in the hooks of alcohol, drinking is the overall controlling need.

Moreover, in countries where alcohol consumption is prohibited (Muslim countries, e.g.) or is permitted only for those over a certain age, due regard should be given to the laws of the land.

Imagine that people supposedly intelligent enough to know what is the "true religion" need to be told not to drink before spiritual occasions and not to break the laws of the country they live in.

Do not allow a generous host to sway you. And beware of open bars at such events as wedding receptions. In many places, children are legally permitted access to alcohol (must be outside the US). It is the parents? responsibility to instruct their children regarding the use of alcohol and to monitor their actions in this regard.?Proverbs 22:6.

Translation: Too many JWs are drinking before attending meetings, going in the ministry, going on shepherding calls (I saw this happen twice where it was obvious one of the elders had had a few before coming), drinking when underage or allowing underage children to drink; too many are getting bombed at weddings and not monitoring their children.

You Can Deal With the Problem

Paragraphs 17-20

How does the WTS suggest dealing with the problem?

If alcohol abuse is becoming a secret sin?take a long, honest look at yourself.

Anyone out their who has struggled with alcohol, can you do it on your own? Can you be honest with yourself without some intervention?

Do I drink more often than I used to?

Have my drinks become stronger?

Do I use alcohol to escape worries, stress, or problems?

Has a family member or a friend expressed concern about my drinking?

Has my drinking caused problems within my family?

Do I find it hard to do without alcohol for a week, a month, or several months?

Do I hide from others the amount of wine or liquor I consume?

What if the answer to some of these questions is yes?..Take steps to correct the problem.

Decide
    what is an immoderate amount of alcohol for you, and set appropriate limits.

What if the appropriate limit is none? What if your dependence on alcohol is such that decreasing consumption without medical supervision could lead to an immediate, serious reaction?

If you are using alcohol to escape some problem, face the problem squarely?counsel from God?s Word?help of a trusted Christian elder. Make good use of Jehovah?s provisions to building up your spirituality.

Continues despite your efforts?Do not drink at all?Total abstinence would not be too high a price to pay for life in God?s righteous new world.?2 Peter 3:13.

Notice there is never a mention of going to a doctor for help or to a counselor trained in handling issues with alcohol.

"Run in Such a Way That You May Attain It"

Paragraphs 21, 22

In the race for life, the abuse of alcohol can prevent us from reaching the finish line.

Concluding Comments

The WTS is fighting a difficult battle. While addressing the issue of overdrinking and alcoholism on the surface, there is no one on one, individual help.

Over the last 20 years, I have helped JWs find the help they desperately searched from in the congregations. I have helped them see their doctors as a resource, undemonized AA and Al-Anon, and helped them see that going into rehab or encouraging a family member/friend to do so is not a sin against the holy spirit.

While not forbidding it outright, the WTS does poison the thought of going outside the congregation for help with a drinking problem.

Family Book chap. 12 p. 146 You Can Overcome Problems That Damage a Family ***

In some lands, there are treatment centers, hospitals, and recovery programs that specialize in helping alcoholics and their families. Whether to seek such help or not is a personal decision. The Watch Tower Society does not endorse any particular treatment. However, care must be exercised so that, in seeking help, one does not become involved in activities that compromise Scriptural principles.

The other way the WTS poisons the well is to give examples of people who overcame drunkenness merely through Bible study, meeting attendance and prayer. I have attached some recent ones after these comments.

Love, Blondie

w03 7/15 pp. 8-9 Before and After?She Found the Power to Change/"Draw Close to God, and He Will Draw Close to You"

SANDRA, a woman in Mexico, described herself as the black sheep of her family. Rejection and lack of affection blighted her teenage years. She says: "I went through adolescence with a permanent feeling of emptiness and many doubts about my existence and about life."

While in high school, Sandra began to drink the wine that her father had at home. In time, she began to buy her own bottles and became an alcoholic. "I had no incentive to live," she admits. Out of desperation, Sandra turned to drugs. "The only thing that helped me to forget my problems," she says, "was what I carried in my purse: a bottle, some pills, or a little marijuana."

After Sandra finished medical school, she sank deeper into alcoholism. She attempted to end her life. But she survived.

Sandra looked in vain to many different religions for spiritual help and emotional support. Having lost hope and given in to despair, she repeatedly cried out to God: "Where are you? Why don?t you help me?" Her feelings of self-worth had reached an all-time low when one of Jehovah?s Witnesses spoke with her. This led to a personal Bible study. Sandra was deeply moved when she learned that "Jehovah is near to those that are broken at heart."?Psalm 34:18.

Her Bible teacher helped Sandra to understand that Jehovah God knows that we are vulnerable because of the sin and imperfection we inherited from Adam. Sandra realized that God understands that we cannot measure up perfectly to righteous standards. (Psalm 51:5; Romans 3:23; 5:12, 18) She was happy to learn that Jehovah does not dwell on our weaknesses, and he does not expect more of us than we can do. The psalmist asked: "If errors were what you watch, O Jah, O Jehovah, who could stand?"?Psalm 130:3.

An important Bible truth that warmed the heart of Sandra was the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Through it, Jehovah mercifully grants obedient humans an upright standing despite their imperfections. (1 John 2:2; 4:9, 10) Yes, we can get "the forgiveness of our trespasses" and thus be helped to overcome any feelings of worthlessness.?Ephesians 1:7.

Sandra learned valuable lessons from the example of the apostle Paul. He greatly appreciated God?s kindness in graciously forgiving his past errors and supporting his hard fight to overcome recurring weaknesses. (Romans 7:15-25; 1 Corinthians 15:9, 10) Paul corrected his course of life, ?pummeled his body and led it as a slave? in order to stay on the path approved by God. (1 Corinthians 9:27) He did not let his sinful inclinations lead him as a slave.

Sandra?s weaknesses plagued her, but she kept fighting them. She prayed earnestly for Jehovah?s help to overcome them and sought his mercy. (Psalm 55:22; James 4:8) Sensing God?s personal interest in her, Sandra was able to turn her life around. "I have the joy of teaching others the Bible full-time," she says. Sandra had the privilege of helping her older sister and her younger sister to get to know Jehovah. As she ?works what is good,? she also volunteers her medical skills at conventions of Jehovah?s Witnesses.?Galatians 6:10.

What about Sandra?s addictions? She confidently says: "My mind is clear. I no longer drink, smoke, or take drugs. I do not need them. I found what I was looking for."

[Blurb on page 9]

"I found what I was looking for"

[Box on page 9]

Bible Principles at Work

Following are some Bible principles that have helped many break free from defiling addictions:

"Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in God?s fear." (2 Corinthians 7:1) God blesses those who have cleansed themselves of defilement, avoiding unclean practices.

"The fear of Jehovah means the hating of bad." (Proverbs 8:13) Reverential fear of God helps a person to break free from bad habits, including drug abuse. Besides pleasing Jehovah, the changed person is protected against fearsome diseases.

"Be in subjection and be obedient to governments and authorities as rulers." (Titus 3:1) In many locations, possession or use of certain drugs is a violation of the law. True Christians do not possess or use illegal drugs.

w03 9/15 p. 8 Before and After?How the Bible Changed This Man ***

As he took in accurate knowledge, Rolf-Michael sought to bring his life into harmony with the principles of God?s Word. (John 17:3) It was difficult to break free from drugs, but Rolf-Michael saw the value of approaching Jehovah in prayer and experiencing his help. (1 John 5:14, 15) Further help resulted from close association with those who were already Jehovah?s Witnesses, working hard to do God?s will.

km 5/03 p. 8 God?s Word Is Truth ***

Transforming
    Power and Universal Appeal: Bible truth has the power to touch hearts and transform lives. (Heb. 4:12) A young woman named Rosa had become involved in prostitution, as well as alcohol and drug abuse. "One day, when I was at the very depths of despair," she says, "a Witness couple spoke to me about how the Bible can help us solve our problems. I began to study God?s Word, which I found fascinating. Within a month I had the strength to make a clean, fresh start in life. Now that I had a purpose in life, I no longer needed the crutch of alcohol or drugs. And since I wanted so much to be Jehovah?s friend, I was determined to live by his standards. If it hadn?t been for the practical wisdom of God?s Word, I am sure that by now I would have put an end to my life."?Ps. 119:92.

g03 12/8 p. 21 How Can You Resist Wrong Desires? ***

Consider Fidel, who was known in his community as a drunkard. While under the influence of alcohol, he smoked tobacco, gambled, and fought with others. His study of the Bible and association with Jehovah?s Witnesses helped him to overcome those practices. He now enjoys a much better life with his wife and two children.
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I will be there tomorrow and give you some feedback on the comments that are made during the study -I am actually quite looking forward to hearing some of the comments from both the brothers and sisters and also the conductor

Jesus first miracle was turning water into wine -if it was good enough for him - it is good enough for me!

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Thanks for your sensitive treatment of this subject Blondie. You seem to have retracted your claws a bit out of respect for those who suffer from this disease.

The WTS is spot on with the consequences and symptoms that are produced by alcoholism. But the huge glaring "pink elephant" is never addressed. Why do so many JWs abuse alcohol?

Sure, JWs are humans too. But doesn't the "Paradise Hope" and being a part of "God's Earthly Organization " provide the mental and emotional stamina to cope?

This is my theory: Lack of faith based on failed reasoning. The real problem is not JW kids getting wasted at parties (although this happens all the time). More and more JWs are moving from "mature" to "elderly," still very much practicing the walk and talk. But the real pressures of the world are breathing down their neck: no retirement, failing health, accepting that they may actually die without seeing Paradise.

Real faith would plow through these mere material concerns, but JWs don't have real faith. They rely on reason from their information source, the FDS. I don't care if they were never exposed to apostacy or the dark side of the WTS, some little voice is pleading inside all these desperate JW heads, "This is all wrong!"

WT articles like this only "trim the verge" but ignor this cancer that is eating at the core of the Org, the Baby Boomer infllux of pre-1975. Really how could the WTS address it?

Finally the c harteuse elephant sitting to the left of the pink one is prescription medication. Never mentioned as a problem by the WTS, this is pandemic escapism in JW Land. I know so many that live in a "fog of faith," just that little bit of anti-depressant seems to grease the skids of spiritual endurance. Ironically I find the pill-popping JWs are usually anti-alcohol.

Sadly, at an age when many people realize true sprituality, these 50+ year-olds are finding Spiritual Paradise ? in the bottom of their empty wine bottles.

• blondie
    blondie

Stilla, I'd be interested too.

Zeke, I come from an alcoholic family....4 generations...I was so frustrated by the WTS seemingly knowing the correct words to say but not backing them up with action, support, empathy, help. Imagine someone coming to you and saying they have diabetes and saying that meeting attendance, field service, and prayer would cure it.

Blondie

• codeblue
    codeblue

I enjoyed your review Blondie!!!

I can't wait to hear Stilla's comments from his meeting or anyone else that will still goes.

Thanks again for taking the time to share the Watchtower Study!!!

CodeBlue

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Blondie, another great review!

What does the Watchtower mean by "A Balanced View"? Well, usually when they write about a "Balanced" view of a topic, they go on to list all the negative aspects of it. The "bad" aspects are what they emphasize in there so-called "balanced" viewpoint.

For example, in the alcohol study article, did the writer bother to mention 1 Timothy 4:23? The advice Paul gives Timothy is:

23 Do not drink water any longer, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach
    and your frequent cases of sickness.

If this scripture was not included in the article, then the question is "why?" Didn't this scriptural advice fit in with the "balanced" viewpoint of alcohol they were writing about?

--VM44

P.S. Also, didn't the article mention the use of wine during the Memorial?

• VM44
    VM44

I believe this Watchtower article was about "Alcohol Abuse" rather than "how to view alcohol".

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Rutherford enjoying some Liquid Refreshment!

I'll Drink to That

• garybuss
    garybuss

?A report from one European country indicates that at times
    some brothers and sisters arrive at the Kingdom Hall with a
    strong smell of alcohol on their breath.?
    (The Watchtower Dec. 15, 1996, p. 29)

Proclaimers*** jv 182 13 Recognized by Our Conduct ***
    So, heavy drinkers do not qualify for special service privileges.

And the abuse of alcohol is but one indication of lack of self-control.
    (The Watchtower, April 15, 1985, p.21)

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

great review blondie.you're right i won't hear those comments tomorrow morning,I won't be there;the wife is working so I'm staying home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit