singing at the meetings

by Dustin 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Dustin
    Dustin

Were any of you the really obnoxiosly loud singer at the meeting? That always used to make me laugh when somone who couldn't sing just belted it out in their horrible voice. Or I used to love the husband and wife duos that thought they were all that as they sat and tried to harmonize. There was one lady in a hall I went to who thought her daughter was the next Celine Dion or something like that. She would make sure to comment every other meeting about how her daughter was praising Jehovah by using her lovely voice(which it wasn't) to sing his melodies. As a rock and roll guy I really hated those songs too. Any good stories or thoughts about singing at the kingdom hall?

Dustin

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I just mouthed the words to the Kingdom Melodies. One elder what the loud obnoxious singer who had an opera like voice. My mother was the harmonizer. I loved listening to the old ladies sing because of the wobbling vibrato in their voice.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Ok since we are talking about singing....lol

Once my ex was singing so loud that he spit all over the song book. I couldnt stop laughing I even snickered through the prayer and i got "the look" from everyone that could hear me.

I have more, but have to think of them

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

The very first meeting I ever attended, an old guy sitting behind me leaned forward and said, "You have the privilege of sitting in front of the best singer in the congregation," then he smiled. I always liked him after that, and of course, he sung terribly. He "fell away" and later died. I wonder now if he actually learned the truth about the "truth".

A guy in my old Hall had a habit of mucking around with the syllables. He'd drag one syllable out for a coupla notes, then squeeze two into the next one. If he was a soloist, it woulda sounded pretty neat. But since he wasn't, it messed me up if I could hear him!

Dave

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Those are the most childish horribly arranged songs I've ever heard. I caught a ride in one of my dub relatives car and they were listening to them the whole time to our destination.

I'd rather walk through hell with gasoline underwear than subject myself to that again!!!!

• Dustin
    Dustin

I forgot to mention the worst singer of all though. If I could remember her name I'd put it up just because I could. Anyways she had the horrible wobbly voice, but it was loud!!!!! At the circut assembly you could hear her from across the building. It used to make me and my sister laugh so hard we would almost start crying. I used to mimic her and then I'd always get the look of death from my mom.

• undercover
    undercover

Oh, we had terrible singers. One sister sounded like Barney Fife. I always broke into "Santa Lucia" when I heard her sing.

Anyone remember when we had real, live piano players? OMG were there some bad players. One sister used to butcher the songs so bad no one could tell where we were in the song to keep up. Sometimes she would stop in the middle of the song and say, "Let's start over". We had lots of laughs at her expense.

• cab1000
    cab1000

seems like the visiting CO was all about getting the congregation to sing louder. He was fanatical about it, waving his hands in a "raise" gesture during the songs. People would sing a little louder.

I was a loud singer. We moved from a loud singing cong. to a soft cong. and I was so dissapointed, I wanted to belt the songs out, but that would make me look stupid...oh well...

~cab

• kls
    kls

Well i guess this shows i was not a good JW . When the crowing started i would mouth the words and think ,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH.

• jaredg
    jaredg

i would change words out in the middle of the song. like instead of "throngs" i would say "thongs" or instead of "ministry" i'd say "mystery" just to see if people would catch on. it was a fun game.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit