Fear!

by LittleToe 114 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I haven't read the other 5 pages yet, but, I think "Fear of the Unknown" is one of the greatest hinderences to people.

People are afraid of computers, until they have experience, marriage, rock climbing, spiders, electricity, water, heights, etc., etc. Usually, once someone has experience or even better...education about a subject, their fear evaporates.

I'll use one example that has always amazed me: A policeman is trying to arrest someone who is armed and dangerous. The suspect is very violent and better armed than the cop, he's firing at the police, yet, these guys keep their cool, in almost all instances the bad guy goes down.

Of course, it's his weapons or martial arts training. It's education and gun/physical fight experience that allows him to 'do his job' and not panic.

My 2ยข

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Frankie:I'm not sure it has exactly that reaction in me. It's more like "there's fear - something needs examining - let's confront it and get this problem sorted and I'll be on my way..."

Xena:Thrillsports, hmmmmm.

I never really was one for the adrenaline kick (I prefer to digest my food), so I hope someone else will contribute. I suspect that some such fears can be overcome by self-reasoning, others by pumping up.
    I would see the main use of that mechanism for acting in [what would likely be considered] an heroic fashion.

I generally see thrillsports as an abuse of that mechanism, though, unless you're trying to train it.
    Maybe I'm just gettin old and responsible

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Rabbit:I hope the FBI aren't reading this and passing it on, but I would say that in some cases the cop in your example might answer to the title "dumb"

It is amazing what can be accomplished, though, for sure!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

LT,

I've tried to examine fear but never get very close to it because when I look for it fades,,the thoughts that brought fear become quiet because my attention is on finding out about fear. So I rethink those thoughts and fear comes back,,but not as strong as before and so I turn my attention to fear and it fades from my attention like a puppy chasing its tail.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

In your own case it sounds like it acts like the sub-conscious, then. The more you turn your conscious mind to it, the further it drives it away. It's almost like trying to view wild rabbits and squirrels - "ignoring" them, but keeping them in the corner of your eye, to stop them being startled.

On the edge of conscious and sub-conscious thought - there lies reality...
    ...there the greatest actions of our fears and aspirations are played out, slaughtered or abandoned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit