physical discipline

by Low-Key Lysmith 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Anybody's JW parents ever use that "don't spare the rod" song and dance as an excuse to beat the living shit out of you? My parents used to relish in the whole physical punishment thing. I guess the question I'm trying to get at is, do you think WTS promotes and encourages physical violence in the home?

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

There was a thread not too long ago about the children in the back of the KH always getting spanked because they couldn't sit still. I am not sure if the scripture was used to promote so much discipline, or just to always condone it, but I do know that if any children were misbehaving the comments from the people in the Hall were always "That kid needs a good spanking!" or "if that was my kid I'd have my husband take the belt to him" etc.

It was used too much to condone child abuse that is for sure. When I complained to the elders about my mother's abuse I was told that it wasn't their business... but of course everything else is.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Man, tell me about it. when my aunt went to the elders to tell them that my uncle (an elder) had flown into a rage and hit my cousin in the head with a HAMMER so badly that he was hospitalized, they DF'd HER on some crazy,unfounded adultery charge. What the.........?

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I remember when my first child was born being encouraged to spank a baby to get him to behave at the Kingdumb Hall.

I was even told to use this stick thing called a minder.

Alot of the sisters would keep wooden spoons in their purses.

I swear the JW's are sooo stupid. They should all take a class in child development so they realize they are beating the normal behavior out of the children.

But then again....maybe that's what they want.

Those bathrooms at the KH were like the interrogation rooms at a Gestapo prison...

Beatings Galore!

So glad I didn't raise my kids in that crap!

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

My parents used that scripture to justify abusing me.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

yesh.

i don't believe in corporal punishment. ever. "spanking" is just a euphemism for hitting.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Yeah, I got the shit beaten out of me. I was a whipping boy everytime my mother was mad about something.

• dh
    dh

I was hit, but I would never class it as being abuse, even though I was hit with things. I received all kinds of other creative punishment, it's fun to look back and remember, such fond memories, lol. I think at one point my parents did buy into the whole 'spare the rod' speech and absolutely hammered us, but that's life isn't it, what doesn't kill us makes us more sneaky.

So yeah, I don't think being hit as a kid did me any harm, physically or (psycho)(logically), but it taught me to get not get caught and it taught me that hitting a kid only works if it's the instant they do something wrong, if you have to wait a few hours and break it down, it's useless, so with us it was useless.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

My parents didn't subscribe much to the beatings practice. Only as a very last alternative. Therefore, I can only recall twice that I was hit because of awful behavior.

Not all JWs beat their kids. As a group they probably average out just like society as a whole in this regard. IMO.

DY

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    what doesn't kill us makes us more sneaky.

lmao!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit